Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning necessary or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:05 PM
aklim156581
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by got2bjennyg
Every 2012 sportster rolled off the assembly line running lean. No need to hook anything up to anything to know that. Want a quick, easy, cheap way to "see" it, pull a plug. Want more details, and don't mind spending the extra money, to find out the same thing, then have it dyno'ed. If all you are trying to do is confirm that it is running lean, I'm not sure a dyno chart is "better". But since you say it is, I'll agree.
Never heard of a DVOM? Should I point you to a few models? Try THIS article

Last edited by aklim156581; 04-13-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:19 PM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aklim
Never heard of a DVOM? Should I point you to a few models?
Really?? The OP isn't sure how to read the color of a plug and you think that suggesting he use a multimeter to find out if his bike is running lean is helpful advise? Oh yeah, that's better.

ETA:
In the interest of not turning this into another horse corpse abuse case with Aklim. I'm done with this thread. My appologices to the OP who just asked some simple questions. I'm sorry that all this extra, non-relevant crap has muddied up the waters.

Last edited by got2bjennyg; 04-13-2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: ETA
Old 04-13-2012, 12:47 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Really?? The OP isn't sure how to read the color of a plug and you think that suggesting he use a multimeter to find out if his bike is running lean is helpful advise?
Actually, yes. He can skip plug reading altogether. If you want to screw around with EFI, you better know how to tap into circuits. Reading plugs is not as essential or easy as using a DVOM. THIS could help if he installs it on the sensor side so as not to mess up the harness. Clip it on, read it when necessary, remove when done and seal the hole. More precise. LESS GUESSWORK.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:05 PM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser

Actually, yes. He can skip plug reading altogether. If you want to screw around with EFI, you better know how to tap into circuits. Reading plugs is not as essential or easy as using a DVOM. THIS could help if he installs it on the sensor side so as not to mess up the harness. Clip it on, read it when necessary, remove when done and seal the hole. More precise. LESS GUESSWORK.
My god, you really know how to turn the simplest thing into brain surgery, and make an argument where there isn't one. If only we were all as smart as you.

The OP just wanted to know if his 20012 sporty is running lean. It is. There is no guesswork here. He doesn't need to pull a plug, buy any electronic gadgets, or get a dyno reading to find this out. But if he wants too, he can.

Again, my apologies to the OP.

Last edited by got2bjennyg; 04-13-2012 at 01:07 PM. Reason: eta
Old 04-13-2012, 01:26 PM
emperor wurm
Road Warrior
Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

mein vater ist auf deutchland, von Baveria. My favorite beer is weihenstephan, franziskaner, and erdinger. PROST!

Old 04-13-2012, 01:42 PM
technotica
Intermediate

Bavaria, the kingdom of beer, I am from the north but I love a dark Weizenbier (wheat beer in english? I am not sure) or Schwarzbier (black beer in english?) like Köstritzer.
And to my lean running bike, I will get a PCV and see what happens!

Thanks for all the useful infrormation!

Last edited by technotica; 04-13-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:55 PM
GWinkleman
Road Captain

LOL! Aklim strikes again! I feel like aklim is more of a caricature than a person. Without fail, just about every post from aklim is about how to tune your bike "the right way". Too funny! Love reading the arguments that are created. Soon enough "aklim" will become synonymous with, and eventually replace, the phrase "internet troll"!

Old 04-13-2012, 02:18 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

My god, you really know how to turn the simplest thing into brain surgery, and make an argument where there isn't one. If only we were all as smart as you.

The OP just wanted to know if his 20012 sporty is running lean. It is. There is no guesswork here. He doesn't need to pull a plug, buy any electronic gadgets, or get a dyno reading to find this out. But if he wants too, he can.

Again, my apologies to the OP.
My apologies to you. I assumed you would think it was pretty simple to hook up a DVOM to check and know. I didn't realize it was that difficult for you. Since I have hooked up fuel pressure gauges, oil pressure gauges, pyro, etc, etc, to do diagnostics I just thought it was simple for all. Apparently not you. Again, sorry for over estimating you.

And I gave him a way to know for today and perhaps for tomorrow when he needs to do diagnostics. Again, sorry if it was over your head.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
aklim156581
Road Master

Originally Posted by GWinkleman
LOL! Aklim strikes again! I feel like aklim is more of a caricature than a person. Without fail, just about every post from aklim is about how to tune your bike "the right way". Too funny! Love reading the arguments that are created. Soon enough "aklim" will become synonymous with, and eventually replace, the phrase "internet troll"!
I guess I have a strong opinion about how to make diagnostics and tuning as precise as possible with little to no guesswork. I was hoping to get better ideas on how to diagnose and tune an engine better. Perhaps asking people that are imprecise and want to band aid something as cheaply as possible for the instant gratification fix was a mistake.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:25 PM
got2bjennyg
Cruiser

My apologies to you. I assumed you would think it was pretty simple to hook up a DVOM to check and know. I didn't realize it was that difficult for you. Since I have hooked up fuel pressure gauges, oil pressure gauges, pyro, etc, etc, to do diagnostics I just thought it was simple for all. Apparently not you. Again, sorry for over estimating you.

And I gave him a way to know for today and perhaps for tomorrow when he needs to do diagnostics. Again, sorry if it was over your head.
Oh yeah, that's the issue. You're just too smart for me.

Quick Reply: Tuning necessary or not?