Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5,000 mile service is dangerously close

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 09:12 PM
sioux565
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Get the service manual. Best tool you can have. Depending on how comfortable you are with wrenching, do the service yourself. I took my bike in for the 1000 service and did the 5/10/15 myself. Will probably take it in for the 20. Your X14's will not bother the warranty. Don't be afraid to wrench on your bike while it is under warranty!

Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 AM
ironhide_uk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doobs48
Probably not an issue since your bike is beyond its warranty. They will probably to sell you saying the parts you put on are bad for the motor blah blah blah.
I was in a uk dealership yesterday and was asking about a service, due to the bike being accident damaged and never having a speedo I don't know it's real mileage (bearing in mind it's a 2009 iron) dealer wants to book it in for 10000 mile service, they want £295 ($462 using a converter)
If that check list link which was put up is correct then I will be buying my own parts a doing it, I could do that checklist in about an hour easy.
Was talking about the bike and he asked about a screaming eagle tuner when I said it had a fuel pac I got the parts not good for the bike, bad for motor blah blah blah, engine blow up, £1000's to fix talk :0/

Old 05-27-2012, 05:34 AM
Harryinny
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by samhallnc
I went in to the harley dealer last thursday to buy a service manual because I was at 4950 miles and wanted to do the 5k service myself; it's now a week later, the manual still hasn't arrived at the dealer and i'm at 5600 miles. Hopefully it'll be in today and I can get it done tomorrow.
Bought mine online, it gave me the reg manual,the electrical manual and one other all for $9 and it was an instant download. Print what i need and off i go.

Old 05-27-2012, 06:00 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Probably not a popular thought among newer Harley buyers, but way back (1972 ?) when I was a young man, my 125cc Harley Rapido 2 stroke wouldn't start.

Took it to the Dealer in my Dad's Chrysler's trunk, the Dealer fixed it and I picked it up the next day.

As I was paying the bill, the Service Manager behind the counter told me that he had to replace the points and condensor, and if I didn't know how to do that myself, I had No f*cking business riding a Harley! ( And he wasn't too nice about it either.)

I know it's a different world, but try getting a little self-reliant and do it yourself.

There's my morning rant, and now I'll get a cup of coffee...
I Agree totally man, If you dont start learning how to wrench a bike for the basics then on the road when you break down your basically screwed. Hell, when i get a decent size bag for the bike im gonna carry a tire patch kit with all tools needed and a belt, electrical odds and ends plugs and the always handy zip ties,a cable or 2 Clutch and one throttle(Only needed if you break both, because you really only need the one for the bike to drive it anyways) Really isnt that hard to have someone help you put anything you can find under the bike to get the tires off. Oh an emergency air pump is great and is about the size of the the battery.Can or two of tire sealent At most. A set of Torx $15. Sounds like alot, but really isnt. In a decent size backrest bag i will carry that, a drink and a change of cloths and my chaps. What more ya need? LOL. I dont like the way they tow scoots at all and will try to avoid it and get the bike to a shop myself.

Old 06-09-2012, 02:41 PM
blindrocket
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got the service done today, cost me around $250 after tax.

It seems to be a tad bit smoother, but overall not much a difference in function or performance. I had them switch out the dinosaur oil for synthetic. They said I should be good for another 5,000 miles with that.

They sure did clean it up well, doing a better job than I normally do.

I did have oil spray coming out of the breather bolts on my mreed DIY air cleaner, but after a few miles it settled down and didn't have a problem since. I guess it was getting the oil out from it being "topped off" or something.

I'll be put on some loyalty program that after $1000 spent they'll give me a $100 gift card. I thought that was kind of nice and I'm already a quarter of the way there. I may end up buying tools and wrenching myself in the future. We'll see.

Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 PM
Knights2TheEnd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the service manual and do it yourself, its easy changing your fluids and filters on harleys. I promise you, you will feel one with your bike!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:37 PM
chorndawg
Novice
Talking

Originally Posted by Harryinny
Bought mine online, it gave me the reg manual,the electrical manual and one other all for $9 and it was an instant download. Print what i need and off i go.
Harry? You don't happen to remember where you ordered that? Thanks.

Old 06-27-2012, 05:57 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Never seen your reply, im sure i have a recipt for it in one of my email accounts. If you still need it ill find it. I saved it someplace because im alowed to redownload it if i lose the ones i have. Ill get the info asap.

WWW.SERVICEMANUALVAULT.COM There ya go. Enjoy.

Last edited by Harryinny; 06-27-2012 at 06:01 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:48 AM
HotIceHD
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cHarley
+1 - As part of the 1000 mile service, the dealer is actually signing off that the bike "up to snuff" from the factory and that everything is assembled and torqued to spec. It leaves the ball in their court, should you have a major problem later.
The 1000 miles service to the dealer is not required though, right?
I have had friends working at dealerships, which told me horror stories about what actually get or not get done at the mythical services. Especially the 1st one.
In many cases, if pressure is up, in terms of things to be done that day (very typical at shops - you fill up reservations for the day - than the very urgent case comes up, and you still have to deliver), the oil and filter get barely changed.
I honestly prefer to get the service manual, look at the torque spec, and check the bolts myself.
Yes, they know better by experience, in terms of which are the ones which are more prone to get lose. But I will check them for sure, while they might check them.
Also, I am sure I use the lubricant I chose and paid for, and not the ones they chose and I over-paid for.
Heard horror stories about what gets actually put in the engine, oil wise, WRT what you actually paid.
Sorry to paint grime picture, but trust in service dept. at dealerships is pretty low.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 AM
chorndawg
Novice

Originally Posted by Harryinny
Never seen your reply, im sure i have a recipt for it in one of my email accounts. If you still need it ill find it. I saved it someplace because im alowed to redownload it if i lose the ones i have. Ill get the info asap.

WWW.SERVICEMANUALVAULT.COM There ya go. Enjoy.
Thanks Harry! I found one on EBay...$8. Thanks for the response. Ride safe!

Quick Reply: 5,000 mile service is dangerously close