Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing New SE slipon baffles

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default removing New SE slipon baffles

Okay, so I have read numerous threads on the web regarding this topic. After removing the baffle screws some people remove the slipons and bang on the baffles from the engine side of the slipon with a large metal rod or wooden dowel to try and remove them. This method has mixed results, some find it easy some find it extremely hard to get the baffles out, sometimes the baffles are damaged. I would like to avoid trying this first method. Other people hook onto the baffle from the rear of the slip on and just pull them out. Again, some people find this method difficult and others say the baffles just pull right out.

The reason I want to pull the baffles out is that the rear slipon has developed a strange "wicka, wicka" noise. I want to pull the baffles out and inspect the fiberglass packing and also possibly modify the packing and or holes. These slipons only have about 3000 miles on them.

Has anyone actually removed their baffles and if so what method did you use and how difficult was it?

Old 06-04-2012, 06:44 AM
Thumper26
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
Okay, so I have read numerous threads on the web regarding this topic. After removing the baffle screws some people remove the slipons and bang on the baffles from the engine side of the slipon with a large metal rod or wooden dowel to try and remove them. This method has mixed results, some find it easy some find it extremely hard to get the baffles out, sometimes the baffles are damaged. I would like to avoid trying this first method. Other people hook onto the baffle from the rear of the slip on and just pull them out. Again, some people find this method difficult and others say the baffles just pull right out.

The reason I want to pull the baffles out is that the rear slipon has developed a strange "wicka, wicka" noise. I want to pull the baffles out and inspect the fiberglass packing and also possibly modify the packing and or holes. These slipons only have about 3000 miles on them.

Has anyone actually removed their baffles and if so what method did you use and how difficult was it?
Not sure about the new SE slip-on baffles but I do have the older, original SE II's on my '05 XL1200R. I have always used (after unbolting the baffles) a coat hanger with a hook bent on the end to pull the baffles straight out with nary a problem. I alternate between the stock SE II baffles and the Big City Thunder baffles, so switch them at least twice a year. Prior to the SE II's I had Cycle Shack baloney cuts, but their baffles created a weird harmonic that assaulted my ears when riding above 50 mph. In my experience with baffles, I have never seen fiberglass anywhere - all the baffles I have seen are strictly metal tubes with different relief cuts and holes drilled in them.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Mich
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Thumper26
Not sure about the new SE slip-on baffles but I do have the older, original SE II's on my '05 XL1200R. I have always used (after unbolting the baffles) a coat hanger with a hook bent on the end to pull the baffles straight out with nary a problem. I alternate between the stock SE II baffles and the Big City Thunder baffles, so switch them at least twice a year. Prior to the SE II's I had Cycle Shack baloney cuts, but their baffles created a weird harmonic that assaulted my ears when riding above 50 mph. In my experience with baffles, I have never seen fiberglass anywhere - all the baffles I have seen are strictly metal tubes with different relief cuts and holes drilled in them.
thanks for the reply. the new SE baffles are different from the old ones. From what I understand they are wrapped in fiberglass, part of the reason they are quieter and sound different from the old SEs. I am going to pick up a security hex socket and try to remove them this evening after work.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:07 AM
quixote
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mich
thanks for the reply. the new SE baffles are different from the old ones. From what I understand they are wrapped in fiberglass, part of the reason they are quieter and sound different from the old SEs. I am going to pick up a security hex socket and try to remove them this evening after work.
The new SE baffles are machine pressed into the muffler bodies and getting them out the first time is not an easy task. I had a set of them and my Indy and I tried to get the baffles out without taking the mufflers off and no luck there. We wound up pulling the muffers and pounding on the baffles from the inlet side with everything from broom handles to rebar before they finally came out.

Ounce you get the baffles out, you'll see that there is no packing, just a flattened inlet and several rows of holes. We added 3 more rows of holes and left the flattened inlet alone. Our goal was to keep the original back pressure and just get a richer, slightly louder sound, but just adding the holes didn't make that much difference.

That flattened inlet is like a cork in this system. Instead of farting around with it, I replaced the SESP mufflers with a pair of Rush slipons.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:17 AM
XL50#674
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Like was said the new SE slip on's have no packing in them and once you have the baffles out you will see why they are not loud at all. Sometimes they will come out and sometimes they are stuck in there good. Best advise is pull the SE slip on's- throw them in the trash and get differant one's or a set op pipes.