Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carb leaking gas

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:40 PM
SportsterSnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb leaking gas

Have 89 sporty delux with carb. All original parts no add ons or anything, I know the last time it was tuned it was tuned with ambient temp around 76 degrees F and has currently been 90+ where I live. Been riding it 2 years and just the other day it started leaking out the back of the carb. I have removed the derby cover and air filter and all seems fine and works well. But it seems to have a fair amount of gas leaking out of the back ( when viewed through the v twin from behind) of the carb.

First thoughts are old gas cap not allowing to vent properly? Or rod has been thrown or broke and is not allowing for proper induction of gas. Though it will not always leak and seems to be ok most of the time.

Thoughts? I have video with sound that I can post as well.

Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

When you say "back of the carb" what do you mean? Usually leaking gas is the result of a bad needle valve (a.k.a. fuel inlet valve) that allows fuel in even if the bowl is full.

Could be stuck float as well. Tap on the bowl with a screwdriver (kinda hard) and see if it dislodges it.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 AM
chappy99
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try a little seafoam in your gas, and see if that helps.
And do what Scuba10jdl said.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:26 AM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer

Mine started out as a small drip while it was running, to an all out spray gun. Pulled the bowl. Found tiny sand and "gunk" around the float pin. Cleaned it all off, new in-line gas filter, new bowl gasket, new gas, sea-foam. Runs like a champ! My bike sat in storage quite a bit until I rescued it.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

IMO...probably been awhile since last carb clean so I'd get yourself a kit & rebuild it. When done - she'll be good as new.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:58 AM
SportsterSnow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scuba I say back it's really the back of the air cleaner when looking through the engine from the left side of the bike. I can see gas slowly dripping down to the bottom of the air cleaner. Will smack with screwdriver first but am guessing that taking apart this weekend will be part of my fun.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,653 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Don't forget to check your accelerator pump diaphragm for tears, that causes a lot of leaking gas issues on this forum as well.

John

Trending Topics

Old 06-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SportsterSnow
Scuba I say back it's really the back of the air cleaner when looking through the engine from the left side of the bike. I can see gas slowly dripping down to the bottom of the air cleaner. Will smack with screwdriver first but am guessing that taking apart this weekend will be part of my fun.
Sure it's not just oil? That area can smell like gas without really having gas there, especially if the accelerator pump has been shot with the engine off. The carb has air vents as well that go back into the A/C.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
marine_hm@hotmail.com
Tourer

Originally Posted by John Harper
Don't forget to check your accelerator pump diaphragm for tears, that causes a lot of leaking gas issues on this forum as well.

John
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can check the accelerator pump diaphram by just turning the throttle. If it squirts gas, then your diaphram is o.k.? Yes/No If it's torn, will it still squirt gas?
Put the knives away... It was just an "inexperienced" thought!

Old 06-24-2012, 04:41 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by marine_hm@hotmail.com
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. You can check the accelerator pump diaphram by just turning the throttle. If it squirts gas, then your diaphram is o.k.? Yes/No If it's torn, will it still squirt gas?
Put the knives away... It was just an "inexperienced" thought!
Kind of like, if your turn signal flashes, the bulb must be working?

Quick Reply: Carb leaking gas