Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat seams retain water

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 10:07 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat seams retain water

I'm still using the stock seat that came with my 2012 XL1200C. I'll eventually upgrade it, but that's down the road.

I ride the bike to work every day and some days it does rain. I don't have a cover, nor do I plan to get one.

I've found that, even after the bike sits overnight in the garage that moisture still comes out of the seams. I end up with two wet streaks on my pants where they contact the seams. I can even push down on the seams and get water to squeeze out.

I'm planning on Mink Oiling the seams again. I did it once, but I'm hoping a more generous application will water proof the seams better.

Does anyone else have problems with their stock seat seams retaining water? If so, did you fix the problem and, again, if so, how, short of upgrading the seat?

Thanks...even for the snarky answers

The following users liked this post:
rscamardo (04-28-2024)
Old 06-24-2012, 10:14 AM
xFreebirdx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

A lot of Army surplus stores carry mil spec seam sealer.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:19 AM
chrisangie
Road Captain

We use the little seat covers and they work great.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:21 AM
exemexer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '08 low and your '12 C have the same seat - I believe (stock 2-up right?). I have never ever had an issue with water getting in the seat seams from either washing or rain. Unless Harley has done something different since '08 (and if so it still shouldn't have this problem) I would say your seat has a defect and you should take it to the dealer. Surely it's still under warranty.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:23 AM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same happend to me. I was on a trip and got caught in a torential rain, that covered the entire state I was in. I pulled into a hotel and spent the night with no place put the bike under a cover. My seat wet my pants for almost a month from leaking out of the seams. Finally it dryed out and I bought some seat covers from harley that work great...they just cover the seat. Really light weight and compress down to pack really well. I think it was $34 for the touring seat with drivers back rest and passenger back rest. The cover for a sportster could not cost much and would pack even easier. They work...

Now that the seat finally dried, I think the foam has broke down in my seat, last weekend on a road trip, at about 250 miles, my tail got to hurting bad, usually I can go 450-500 miles before I get in that shape.
I may have to change my seat anyway.

Old 06-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Pixiechitos
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 12limited
Same happend to me. I was on a trip and got caught in a torential rain, that covered the entire state I was in. I pulled into a hotel and spent the night with no place put the bike under a cover. My seat wet my pants for almost a month from leaking out of the seams. Finally it dryed out and I bought some seat covers from harley that work great...they just cover the seat. Really light weight and compress down to pack really well. I think it was $34 for the touring seat with drivers back rest and passenger back rest. The cover for a sportster could not cost much and would pack even easier. They work...

Now that the seat finally dried, I think the foam has broke down in my seat, last weekend on a road trip, at about 250 miles, my tail got to hurting bad, usually I can go 450-500 miles before I get in that shape.
I may have to change my seat anyway.
Sounds like a mother of storms.

We have plastic shopping bags so if I'm ever on the road I'd probably use that ^_^ Not that I've had issues with the mustang.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyttuch
I'm still using the stock seat that came with my 2012 XL1200C. I'll eventually upgrade it, but that's down the road.

I ride the bike to work every day and some days it does rain. I don't have a cover, nor do I plan to get one.

If you're here in FL, you have another very wet week ahead.
In the mean time, why not use a heavy duty, (black) lawn trash bag to cover the seat when it's outside? Just tuck in the edges of bag under the seat. That's what I use on road trips when the bike has to be left outside in stormy weather.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:18 AM
12limited
Tourer

Originally Posted by Pixiechitos
Sounds like a mother of storms.

We have plastic shopping bags so if I'm ever on the road I'd probably use that ^_^ Not that I've had issues with the mustang.
I was a hell of a storm...rained hard all night.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Hazardous Smoker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lyttuch

If you're having troubles then why would you not plan on getting a seat cover? It would make sense to me that if you are having problems with water seepage that a seat cover would fix the issue before it happens.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 PM
Lyttuch
Tourer

Originally Posted by exemexer
My '08 low and your '12 C have the same seat - I believe (stock 2-up right?). I have never ever had an issue with water getting in the seat seams from either washing or rain. Unless Harley has done something different since '08 (and if so it still shouldn't have this problem) I would say your seat has a defect and you should take it to the dealer. Surely it's still under warranty.
Yep, same seat. I spoke with the service dept at my dealer and the tech I talked to said he had the same issue with his sporty. He didn't have any suggestions, but did say it's just a factor of the seat, i.e. not a warranty issue. Of course he could have been BSing me, but I have a feeling it's the seat design.

Originally Posted by cHarley
If you're here in FL, you have another very wet week ahead.
In the mean time, why not use a heavy duty, (black) lawn trash bag to cover the seat when it's outside? Just tuck in the edges of bag under the seat. That's what I use on road trips when the bike has to be left outside in stormy weather.
Yeah, I've seen the weather reports...sucks, I use the the bike to go to work every day. Guess that's what rain gear is for LOL. I may use your suggestion.

Originally Posted by Hazardous Smoker
If you're having troubles then why would you not plan on getting a seat cover? It would make sense to me that if you are having problems with water seepage that a seat cover would fix the issue before it happens.
If it comes down to it, I may. I just don't want to spend more and have more to carry, no matter how cheap or small.

Well, I've Mink Oiled the crap out of the seams. If the weather holds true for the rest of the week I should get a good test. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Those of you who HAVE upgraded your seats, have you had this problem? I'll probably upgrade sooner than later anyway. I have a feeling my wife's *** is going to have the final say there.

Quick Reply: Seat seams retain water