Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 Sportster 48 only starts in neutral

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:29 PM
Matthew Wallace
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 Sportster 48 only starts in neutral

I installed new Z-bars on my 48 2012 today. It was a really simple job. I didn't have to extend any of the lines at all as the raise was only 6"

One minnor and strange issue that has happened is that the bike will not start now unless it's in neutral. Before I switched the bars I could be in any gear as long as I hold the clutch when starting it would fire right up.

I did have a minor issue getting the start and run wires seated behind the controls when i was installing them so I'm wondering something happened to cause this.

Also a small fuse blew after fussing around with the controls trying to solve this issue. Once I replaced all is good and it starts but still have to have the bike in neutral. I've inspected the wires inside the throttle control and I don't see any damaged or loose wires.

I'm wondering where I should look next to solve this issue. Could it have something to do with the "brains" of the bike, another fuse causing this, or what ?

Old 07-07-2012, 11:54 PM
pointdogg48
Tourer

Most likely that clutch lever button ain't working right check your wirin

Old 07-08-2012, 05:09 AM
Harryinny
Tourer

Yup, clutch Lever button, make sure the houseing and the lever assembly are butted together right and make sure the button isnt damaged, its a rubber coated little button. One thing too, if the wires arnt installed through the bars, then make sure you have the main wire harness on both sides pressed up against the wireing indent on the underside of the bars and that the wireing is still movable between the bottom of the break and clutch assembly clamps. Tf the bars have no indent(channel) for the wires to set up into while you assemble the clutch and break handle assemblies, then i see a pinched wire someplace, even a short causeing the popped fuse.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Other than it not being like that from the factory how is this a problem

I really don't know anyone that is thick in the head enough to start their bike in gear

Old 07-08-2012, 05:55 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

You've already answered your own question! You have probably damaged a wire while bolting things up. Retrace your steps and check everything very carefully.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:01 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Nubz
Other than it not being like that from the factory how is this a problem

I really don't know anyone that is thick in the head enough to start their bike in gear
I do it all the time when its warm...............guess my head is pretty thick

Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 AM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rog48
I do it all the time when its warm...............guess my head is pretty thick
LOL
Sorry I more or less meant I never see anyone I know do it

Some of my friends are pretty thick though

I think the first time I tried it I would let go of the clutch and not think about what I was doing

Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 AM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I think I do it because my habit of leaving it in gear when I shut her off. If its parked.......its in gear. Now first start of the day or if its been siting for a few hours Ill pop her in neutral before starting.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:34 AM
Lyttuch
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matthew, I had the same problem recently, although mine was intermittent. I found mine not even acting like I had the key on; not clicking or even trying to start. I took it to the dealer and they found the clutch switch was sticking. They lubed it, but it didn't fix the problem. So they changed it out and I haven't had the problem since.

I also start mine in gear most of the time. Like Rog, first start or after a long sit I'll go to neutral, but usually it's in gear when just sitting around. But, I've also never started it without pulling in the clutch first...even when I start it in neutral.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:43 AM
fourburgs
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Being able to start it in any gear with the clutch pulled in could come in very handy. If you stall it in heavy traffic I don't think I want to waste time looking for neutral ......

The following users liked this post:
Teri Dawn Wright (10-14-2021)

Quick Reply: 2012 Sportster 48 only starts in neutral