Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a bike. Any interesting stories

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 02:49 PM
steinbep
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a bike. Any interesting stories

Ok so I have to admit I'm trying to sell my sporty. Not because I don't love it but I'm getting a new bike, one that is paid off. My father got a CVO and wants to give me his 105th Softail Custom. I was only asking the pay off value (under 5k) and I literally had a douche tire kicker string me along for 2 weeks and get me to lower the price. Am I crazy or is the market really that bad? Anyone else have bad experiences or stories?

Old 10-03-2012, 02:51 PM
steinbep
6th Gear

Forgot to mention that its a 07 1200 Low.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
SD1
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy and sell bikes/cars all the time. Make sure it is as clean as possible, that your title is in order, smog/emissions if needed are in order. If possible, do maintenance prior to sale. This will gaurantee the fastest sale at the highest price.

When you do your ad, TAKE GOOD PICTURES!!!!! I cant tell you how many VERY NICE cars and trucks and bikes I have bought that were in excellent condition but you would never know from the poor and sometimes absent pictures.

Be nice, be honest, dont hold the vehicle unless you get a cash non refundable deposit with a bill of sale stating full payment in 24-48 hours, no longer, and otherwise consider the bike immediately available until you have cash and hand and the new owner is riding into the sunset.

Here is a link to my sporty that is for sale, big clean pics, try to be as detailed as poss. in description, I even put a video of the bike running.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/mcy/3296749589.html

Last edited by SD1; 10-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
steinbep
6th Gear

Yeah I did all that even promised to have the bike inspected prior to sale. I'm not asking to make a profit. I'm $1200 under KBB for a stock bike which you can see its not. I even told him I needed 5 days for the bank to get the title. He had all these questions but was a no show when he scheduled to look at it.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:50 PM
Rog48
Elite HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

To me (and most others) a stock bike is worth more than a modded one. And damm sportys go for a lot in Cali.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,520 Likes on 6,271 Posts

You are asking $1200 under stock RETAIL, from a dealer. You should expect less as you are a private party. YMMV.

From Black Book Powersports:

Year: 2007 Make: Harley-Davidson Model: XL1200L Sportster 1200 Low Model Type: Cruiser Displacement: 1200 Cylinders: 2
Finance Advance: $5,375
MSRP: $9,495
Avg Retail: $6,340
Auction Wholesale $5,300
Clean Trade: $4,980
Fair Trade: $4,420

Old 10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
steinbep
6th Gear

Rog48- I'm not talking heavily modded. Stage 1. Thats all.
-Forward Controls
-Samson Cannons
-Arlen Ness BigSucker Stage I
-Vance & Hines Fuelpak
-Burly 12in Apes
-Mustang Solo seat and Passenger pillion

Not much in the way of modding at all.

RON750-

I'm asking less then what you posted for clean trade. I'm also selling it not trading it in. Retail doesn't mean HD dealer. Retail is the sale of goods and services from "individuals or businesses" to the end-user. So in this case the price is cheap regardless.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 PM
jjames
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always save all my parts that I replace. You'll probably be better off putting it back to stock and knocking the price down further to beat out others locally being sold then try to recoup some money on ebay, craigslist, and the classifieds here for your parts. I hate paying for parts other people have put on, I want a blank canvas to do what I like. The market is saturated. I got tired of trying to sell mine privately and it was paid off so I bit the bullet and traded it in at dealership.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
balloo
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by steinbep
Yeah I did all that even promised to have the bike inspected prior to sale. I'm not asking to make a profit. I'm $1200 under KBB for a stock bike which you can see its not. I even told him I needed 5 days for the bank to get the title. He had all these questions but was a no show when he scheduled to look at it.
Sounds like your potential buyer was not really interested. If he scheduled and then did not show that probably means that he could not come up with the money.

If you are selling for what you owe on the bike, let the buyer know this.

Hang in there, it will sell.

Balloo

Old 10-04-2012, 01:22 AM
knights
Tourer

i recently sold a honda cbr, when the guy tried to bargain me down, i said "you seen the price in the ad, know have a look at that sexy harley over there....yes thats mine, so if you dont give me the price i need for the honda, then it can sit there for another 6 months until someone else does"

some people need to sell there bikes to pay for a new one, or pay for a car. i let him know iv got my new ride, all paid off n im in no rush to sell this honda.
it worked n i got full price.
maybe make sure your softtail is parked up near your sporty when you try to sell :-)

Quick Reply: Selling a bike. Any interesting stories