Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron 883: Eames Edition

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 05:14 PM
beau_cauchemar
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right. You don't have to spend a lot to have a well designed home. There are some pieces though that have rightfully become *icons* of beautiful and well engineered pieces of design and those will garner a high price tag. Spending this much on something you will have spanning generations does not make you a sucker but rather an investor in decades of comfort and appreciation. You're also buying the designer's philosophy and a shining example from their widely-respected portfolio which is an aspect that's completely lost on most other furniture purchases.

You're also right that anyone who just goes after big-ticket items thinking it must be great is an idiot. I am not one of these people and in fact had to save a while to purchase this chair. (Yes, it was worth it and you can't claim to understand unless you've done the same.) When I buy things I buy FOR KEEPS. So while you may replace something or everything every few years or so my place will look great decades from now without changing a thing. That's what timeless furniture provides. My place even features a couple of Ikea bookcases and furniture that I've personally refinished so it's definitely not about $$$ for me. You'd be surprised what a couple of high-brow items do to elevate the cache of a room though.

Trust me. Homes can still be plenty unique and still share such a recognizable piece of mid-century modern excellence (possibly one of the most recognizable chairs ever made in fact) considering that most people don't just have a single chair in an otherwise empty room. Money doesn't buy good taste but it does afford you the items that are rightfully considered as art and therefore allow you to appreciate such items day in, day out. But hey, either you "get it" or you don't. Spend your money on what matters most to you but as far as I'm concerned you can never spend to much on your home's interior since it's the most important place on Earth.

Last edited by beau_cauchemar; 10-19-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:31 PM
NicoBomber
Cruiser

There are a lot of assumptions there, most problematic though is that non-four thousand dollar chairs will not last as long. Your defense of the chair reads like the ad copy accompanying the chair itself. Are you an Eames rep? haha

Nah, I suppose you're right though, a home is not crippled by a few pieces. I tend to avoid design staples and icons altogether, but that is my preference. In the end, no matter who deems what tasteful, iconic, good, passe, overrated, etc. - it really comes down to a subjective and personal call. To some a piece will be iconic, to others (myself) it is generic.

Again, I like the bike & the use of a chair (any chair really) for your inspiration is definitely very cool. What I think of Eames aside, it is a breath of fresh air given that most on here (in the US) draw their "inspiration" - or really lack thereof - from the overused hot rod aesthetic (e.g. flames, skulls, metal flake, etc.).

Old 10-19-2012, 05:35 PM
beau_cauchemar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by NicoBomber
Again, I like the bike & the use of a chair (any chair really) for your inspiration is definitely very cool. What I think of Eames aside, it is a breath of fresh air given that most on here (in the US) draw their "inspiration" - or really lack thereof - from the overused hot rod aesthetic (e.g. flames, skulls, metal flake, etc.).
I have to completely agree with you there and I certainly appreciate the compliments.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:42 PM
PhatAnthony
Banned

I like that, original.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NicoBomber
Oh sure, just because I happen to like flames...and skulls...geeze...

As for the OP, I like it. A lot. Have you thought about doing the seat in the same style as the chair by having it redone with a bit more padding and those kinds of "buttons"? Maybe trim it in that same shade of tan the chair has between the fabric and the wood frame?

Old 10-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Aces and 8s
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

hmmm, interesting.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:03 AM
beau_cauchemar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Robotech
Oh sure, just because I happen to like flames...and skulls...geeze...

As for the OP, I like it. A lot. Have you thought about doing the seat in the same style as the chair by having it redone with a bit more padding and those kinds of "buttons"? Maybe trim it in that same shade of tan the chair has between the fabric and the wood frame?
Definitely a clever idea but I didn't want to be too literal in the translation rather just influenced by it (materials, simplicity, etc.) That and a capitone construction might look a little too delicate for a motorcycle seat.

I do plan on changing out the stock seat but haven't quite firmly decided on anything yet. I've looked at LOTS of seats. Le Pera, RSD, and the Mustang Cafe were strong contenders, however, I'll be fine to sit on the current one until the that's-the-one vibe happens. I'm extremely particular and borderline obsessive when it comes to details so anytime I choose something it's after a great deal of consideration and comparison.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:46 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unique & Custom I Like it.

btw guys don't try to make another bikers bike yours...
Its their bike let them do what they want to with it different strokes for different folks.

If we all did what everyone else wanted it wouldn't be our individual creation.

Its an Art when you customize make it your own.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:51 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Perhaps reupholster the stock seat to a plush leather to enhance the inspiration from the chair?

Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 AM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Speaking of chairs, I happen to be a fan of this one:

Which just so happens to combine another hobby I enjoy. The above is not my setup.

Quick Reply: Iron 883: Eames Edition