Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Why do people rev their engines at stop lights? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/820985-why-do-people-rev-their-engines-at-stop-lights.html)

Newharleylover 11-04-2012 06:44 AM

Sport bikers do it just as much. I was at the first stoplight coming off the interstate and there was this dude beside me in the other lane blipping like a mofo. His girlfriend and him were both looking at me and smiling and talking to each other. Looked like an older CBR to me. But as he's blipping all of a sudden his bike didn't sound quite right, it was popping like crazy and he started having a hard time keeping it running. The light turned green and I saw that the girlfriend had this shit eating grin on her face when we started to move. Dude looks at me as we're about to speed up, cracks his throttle and I heard what sounded like a shotgun blast. They came to a stop immediately and I eased away from them but this time I was the one with the shit eating grin on my face! I don't know why people do that. Probably because they're attention craving tools.

Thumper26 11-04-2012 06:45 AM

I used to do it because of some bikes I had over the years. Some of those bikes needed to be blipped when stopped just to keep running. My '77 XLCH is like that, but not my '05 Roadster. When on the Roadster I don't do it. It seems to send a primal signal to the guy next to me that it's an invitation for a drag race once the light changes.

Rog48 11-04-2012 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by vizcarmb (Post 10516674)

Yup..............flamers

Juan L 11-04-2012 08:28 AM

I like to find LL Cool Moe Dee the master of rap at the stoplight and make sure the end of my pipes are even with his car door when I rev mine. I'll even adjust my mirror so I can see him get pissed off when his thump-thump-thump is overridden by mine.

I also rev it when going down the road and I get next to someone who is texting while they drive. This is a little selfish for me having been rear ended by a texting teenager once so it is my private crusade and I don't expect everyone to join in.

Other than that it's just habit formed from years of riding finicky carbuerated machines and nothing personal.

Ultrablu 11-04-2012 12:15 PM

I do it cause I just love the sound...once I got rid of my stock exhaust that is. It's got nothing to do with attention or bothering anyone else. It's all me cause I can!

RANGER73 11-04-2012 12:40 PM

1. It sounds nice.
2. It sounds nice.
3. It's something to do.
4. It reminds the cagers your there.
5. And lastly, It sounds nice.

Frostbite 11-04-2012 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by JohnFlorida (Post 10516869)
Becuase sometimes teen girls will flash their titties at you if you rev it and smile

My smile must not work. :(

Thumper26 11-04-2012 12:54 PM

My smile is broken also. ;-(

Pixiechitos 11-04-2012 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Newharleylover (Post 10516945)
Sport bikers do it just as much. I was at the first stoplight coming off the interstate and there was this dude beside me in the other lane blipping like a mofo. His girlfriend and him were both looking at me and smiling and talking to each other. Looked like an older CBR to me. But as he's blipping all of a sudden his bike didn't sound quite right, it was popping like crazy and he started having a hard time keeping it running. The light turned green and I saw that the girlfriend had this shit eating grin on her face when we started to move. Dude looks at me as we're about to speed up, cracks his throttle and I heard what sounded like a shotgun blast. They came to a stop immediately and I eased away from them but this time I was the one with the shit eating grin on my face! I don't know why people do that. Probably because they're attention craving tools.

:icon_bowrofl:

Rustell 11-04-2012 02:48 PM

The only time I ever do it is when the car next to me either has a thumpa thumpa stereo..or they're hangin their cigarette out the window...:icon_flamethrow: