Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal Equalizer for LED turn signals

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:42 AM
constantsnacks
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn Signal Equalizer for LED turn signals

Hey HD-Forum,

Im looking to relocate my front and read turn signals on a 2000 883C. As I look around Im finding that I might need a turn signal equalizer to go with LED lights. I'd like to have the turn signals working as running lights and turn signals if its easy enough and not super expensive. Some bikes come stock with two wire turn signals, some have three. Not sure what I have since I haven't had a chance to take them apart yet.

I guess my questions are:

Do I need an equalizer to have the new lights be running lights and turn signals?

What kind of lights are other people running that make this process a little easier and cheaper?

Thanks for the help!

Old 11-27-2012, 12:00 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The regular turn signals with running lights have dual filament bulbs. If you get a pair of those lights (for dual filament incandescent bulbs) it is simply a matter of wiring the running lights into your low beam headlight.

I haven’t seen aftermarket LED turn signals with running lights yet but I’ve never specifically looked for them – they may be out there.

You won’t be able to easily adapt regular LED turn signals to operate as running lights because they hook up with only two wires (ground and turn signal). The dual filament turn signals with running lights have three wires (ground, turn signal, running light) because the running lights operate at a lower brightness than the turn signals.

If you do find aftermarket LED turn signals with running lights (i.e. with three wires), equalizers are required only in the turn signal wiring, not the running light wiring.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:05 PM
constantsnacks
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks for the quick response.

So if I dont want running lights I can just buy the turn signals (ie joker machine clamp ons), won't need an equalizer and its just a matter or connecting the two wires from the new lights to the existing wiring for the stock turn signals?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Electronics and wiring have never been my strong suit.

Old 11-27-2012, 12:29 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser

You will need equalizers for LED turns signals - whether or not they incorporate running lights.

In other words, the running light issue has nothing to do with equalizers - if you wish to have LED turn signals you will need to wire equalizers into them - one equalizer for each turn signal.

The reason for the equalizers is that LEDs consume very little power compared to incandescent bulbs. The flasher units on older bikes are designed for incandescent loads - when you fit an LED light without equalizer the flasher unit "thinks" that the bulb is blown and flashes at a very high frequency.

The equalizers are effectively resistors that "burn" additional power (they can get hot) to trick the flasher unit into believing that a regular bulb is fitted...

Old 11-27-2012, 01:46 PM
hhkiwi
Cruiser

Just had a quick look on Ebay - you can, in fact, get LED turn signals with running lights (no DOT approval though):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280957349995

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200747851117

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330832691653

Again, you will need an equalizer for each light, wired into the turn signal connection.