Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 sportster electrical wiring advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 08:04 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 01 sportster electrical wiring advice needed

I am chopping the rear fender on my 01 sportster 1200XLH and I ordered a Road 6 side tag mount with a model A brake/ running light. I am adding smaller turn signals but they will stay in the same place. My question is how am I tapping into the main rear mother board and I guess i need to keep THE MOTHER BOARD WHERE THE TURNS AND BRAKE LIGHTS PLUG INTO right? So I guess I can mount it under the seat??? How am i supposed to run all the wires back under the seat and then i guess I will run new wires from the side brake light to under the seat???
Someone with prior knowledge and experience with this model and exact brake relocate and wiring job please chime in and help I wanna ride this thing soon and or throw me a link to some help. I have searched and searched on this forum and other forums. Most show 04 and up. THANK YOU In advance you guys are awesome!!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:16 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Should be the same set-up as my '96 ... but I'm not aware of any "mother board". Assuming that you have a HD service manual, pull the electrical schematic and trace your tailight wiring to back under the seat. Use your exisitng run / turn / brake circiuts to support your new lights, or properly terminate those wires and splice in the new fixtures.

Old 11-28-2012, 09:09 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

Originally Posted by run1fsr
Should be the same set-up as my '96 ... but I'm not aware of any "mother board". Assuming that you have a HD service manual, pull the electrical schematic and trace your tailight wiring to back under the seat. Use your exisitng run / turn / brake circiuts to support your new lights, or properly terminate those wires and splice in the new fixtures.
I have the service manual but there is a big plug in in the main rear brake light . The brake light and the two turn signals plug into it and it bolts up behind the factory rear brake light. I want to know if I need to keep this thing.If I do need to keep it where do I run it to get it under the seat or another good hiding place?

Old 11-28-2012, 10:05 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

I see no reason to keep the connector. I'd identify the wiring feeding the connector, cut out the extra slack and splice in your new lights. DC circuits are actually quite simple. Sorry if I'm not being clear.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

I see no reason to keep the connector. I'd identify the wiring feeding the connector, cut out the extra slack and splice in your new lights. DC circuits are actually quite simple. Sorry if I'm not being clear.
Well if the connector is not there how do the tail lights and brake lights work now? Why do they all plug into this big connector? It has to be there for a reason,There is a plug for the left turn with two wires same with the right and the brake has 3 or 4 wires.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you refering to the large connector under the seat? Yes, that one you would keep. Using the electrical schematic to identify the circuits comming from that connector, cut the wires after the connector, leaving yourself enough lenght, and tie in your new lights.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:07 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

Are you refering to the large connector under the seat? Yes, that one you would keep. Using the electrical schematic to identify the circuits comming from that connector, cut the wires after the connector, leaving yourself enough lenght, and tie in your new lights.
No this connector is literally mounted in the rear brake light it a little block that the ends of the turn signals and the brake light have plugs that plug into it. Its like a little junction box but nothing runs off of it everything just plugs into it like completing a circuit.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 PM
SouthernGent
Tourer

so it is called a circuit board and it has a power source coming into it giving power to the brake light and turn signals. So basically I think I need to relocate this whole circuit board under the seat and splice into the right wires and run new wires from there. Now I juts have to figure out how to get this circuit board mounted somewhere else.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Gpsjr10
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

No need to relocate the circuit board. It is just a place for the lights to plug in to for assembly convince. If you wanted to, you can just cut the connectors off and connect the wires together individually with butt splices, solder and shrink tube, etc. A wiring diagram would help you out a lot.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM
SouthernGent
Tourer

Originally Posted by Gpsjr10
No need to relocate the circuit board. It is just a place for the lights to plug in to for assembly convince. If you wanted to, you can just cut the connectors off and connect the wires together individually with butt splices, solder and shrink tube, etc. A wiring diagram would help you out a lot.
I have a wiring diagram for this exact bike. The diagram shows the turn signals plugging directly into that circuit board, i guess they are just ground and power. i am not real great with electrical.

Quick Reply: 01 sportster electrical wiring advice needed