Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery and Check Engine Light Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 08:23 AM
wickdwayz
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Battery and Check Engine Light Question

I'm sure i'll hear it from some of you to search the threads, I have. It still didn't answer my question. I know i need to take it in to get it serviced. It either the Voltage regulator or the stator. I don't have a voltmeter to check to see which one.
While riding after being on trickle charger, a few miles into the ride both lights come on but go off. And it does it several times throughout my 10 mile commute to work. Starts with no problem at the end of my shift and the lights do the same thing again, coming on and off several times on the way home. Is there anything that i should be worried about during the trip? Like will my bike just die? If I keep it on the charger can I still ride until I get it to the dealer?

Oh yea, my bike is a 2012 Nightster. I got her on my Anniversary last year on St. Patricks Day. The wife knew I wanted another bike after I totalled my Vulcan 900 several years back.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:30 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

It could be as easy as a loose battery cable/ground. Start with the simple stuff before assuming it's the charging system, which would likely leave you stranded because it never charges the battery.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 AM
wickdwayz
Intermediate

I've checked all terminals and ground bolt. they are all secure. Is there something else I can check. Or do i need to get a voltmeter?

Old 03-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

Usually after that it's a voltmeter. It's really an indispensable tool for working on your bike. The one I use was about $20 at Lowes, so don't feel like you need to go out and get a professional gauge or anything.

Easy check would be battery voltage while running. That will tell you if your regulator and possibly stator are good or not. Then you can follow the procedure to unplug them and actually test stator output.

Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM
wickdwayz
Intermediate

Thanks Scuba. I'll give that a try. Is there anything to worry about if i continue to ride it? Will it just die while hauling a$$ down the highway?

Old 03-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member

If the stator is bad, you'll just get stranded, which is no fun. If the regulator is fried and overcharging your battery you could (worst-case) blow up the battery, but more likely you'll just pop a fuse or cause it to stop working, thus leaving you stranded.

Honestly, I would park it if you can until you can at least verify you're not getting overvoltage at the battery. That can really fry some electrics or worse. Electrical problems have a way of spreading if they aren't fixed.

If you absolutely must ride it to and from work, just get a voltmeter at the next opportunity possible.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:17 AM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

for future if you get a meter ... btw radio shack has a range of meters from 24$ to 89$
they are also good for home and car applications so its just not for ur bike
a meter will also let you trace wires a whole lot easier !! for 25 bux u cant have a better tool in the box , as its uses are wide

Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 PM
Eisentreiber
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wickdwayz
While riding after being on trickle charger, a few miles into the ride both lights come on but go off. And it does it several times throughout my 10 mile commute to work. Starts with no problem at the end of my shift and the lights do the same thing again, coming on and off several times on the way home. Is there anything that i should be worried about during the trip? Like will my bike just die? If I keep it on the charger can I still ride until I get it to the dealer?

Oh yea, my bike is a 2012 Nightster. I got her on my Anniversary last year on St. Patricks Day.
Hi wickdwayz, that does sound much like your bike was affected by the MoCo Service Bulletin M-1325, 2012 VOLTAGE REGULATORS - PRODUCT PROGRAM 0912 (links to the PDF are around in the web). Mine's a 1200 Custom, also manufactured in early 2012, which started the same erratic lights on-off behaviour last summer - would do so for about two weeks before the regulator finally went south during a road trip 300 mi from home (holy crap!) and I had to get it replaced on warranty, end of story.

If you're facing the same issue, then you're compensating for any discharge during your short trips by your overnight trickle charge - but as Scuba10jdl cautioned above, this can't be considered a fix. I read in a German HD forum the bike will drain the battery and die on you after about 30 mi continued riding. Guess you check w/ the stealer if your VIN is affected, or log in at the MoCo to get the Recalls information (http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...e-recalls.html)

Just joined the forums over here, but I bet the whole 2012 Voltage Regulators story is right around the corner.

Cheers,
Jan

Last edited by Eisentreiber; 03-16-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Sensei Jim
Tourer

Some one beat me to it. 2012 bikes have a bad VR. Run you vin on the harley page and it will tell you if yours is bad. Don't let the dealer BS you. I made them change mine before I had problems. Sucks they knew about this before the bike's were sold and didn't change them.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
elfnyc
Road Warrior
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

thanks for that info sensei - i didnt even think of checkin there ! ran it and nothing for me
thanks again .. ya learn somethin new everyday !

Quick Reply: Battery and Check Engine Light Question