Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best years for cafe build

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Best years for cafe build

Hey guys, I've been on this board for awhile but I think this is my first post in the Sporty section. I've built and owned many Softails over the years. I convert them into a bobber style and sell them. I almost always base my builds on 2000-2005 Softails as these are basically the same bikes. I want to build a cafe racer style Sportster and I'm not sure what years would be the best for this style. I plan on stripping the bike of everything not necessary. I definitely want a peanut style tank and will probably chop the rear end and fab a custom seat pan and tail. I don't care if it's injected or carb'd. Probably gonna use clip on bars and remove or relocate the gauges. I also prefer a bike with mids rather than forward controls. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as what year range would be best suited for this? Price is a factor otherwise I would just buy a new one. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sweet. That softy in your avatar looks damn good so pretty sure you can pull off the cafe build. Only thing I'd suggest is stay with a carbed sporty. Less wiring. Pre 06 I believe. I started a thread wayyyy back cause I've always wanted to do the same. Lots of inspiration there for you. Check my threads. How about an older triumph tank with the knee slots cut out or modify a sporty tank? Either way good luck and start a build thread!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 AM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member
Old 05-06-2013, 12:34 PM
BurlyBrand
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're big fans of the early 90's through 03 chassis. Minimal wiring, much lighter than the 04 and newer models and less expensive to pick one up.

Last edited by BurlyBrand; 05-06-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:40 PM
bmxatv
Elite HDF Member

Perfect example of what a dialed sporty cafe should look like. ****! Hey burly, chuck that pic in the thread man if you haven't already. So sick.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:48 PM
RacingJake
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any solid mount Sportster with a 5 speed tranny so you can add the SportGear

Old 05-06-2013, 01:55 PM
hogdiver96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no fab skills or the tools to match,
I really liked the cafe style so took the easy option and just bought bolt on bits.
Im not gonna call it a true cafe cos its not really but its a style i like.
For me the Nightster is the best bike HD have sold for years (i have owned Softails etc) but thats my opinion only

Last edited by hogdiver96; 05-06-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,825 Likes on 18,579 Posts

You've got to go a long way to beat the look of the original XLCR ... I always thought that was a sweet scooter ... You guys have some nice lookin' Sporty's too!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:06 PM
J
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bmxatv
Sweet. That softy in your avatar looks damn good so pretty sure you can pull off the cafe build. Only thing I'd suggest is stay with a carbed sporty. Less wiring. Pre 06 I believe. I started a thread wayyyy back cause I've always wanted to do the same. Lots of inspiration there for you. Check my threads. How about an older triumph tank with the knee slots cut out or modify a sporty tank? Either way good luck and start a build thread!
Thanks for the link. 30+ pages. At least I'll have something to do tonight.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:24 PM
c0jones
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by J
Hey guys, I've been on this board for awhile but I think this is my first post in the Sporty section. I've built and owned many Softails over the years. I convert them into a bobber style and sell them. I almost always base my builds on 2000-2005 Softails as these are basically the same bikes. I want to build a cafe racer style Sportster and I'm not sure what years would be the best for this style. I plan on stripping the bike of everything not necessary. I definitely want a peanut style tank and will probably chop the rear end and fab a custom seat pan and tail. I don't care if it's injected or carb'd. Probably gonna use clip on bars and remove or relocate the gauges. I also prefer a bike with mids rather than forward controls. Can anyone steer me in the right direction as far as what year range would be best suited for this? Price is a factor otherwise I would just buy a new one. Thanks in advance for any help.
If you want dual front disc, look for an "R" or "S" model.

Quick Reply: Best years for cafe build