Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions, decisions.. 883 Or 1200?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 03:01 AM
Dual-Linkerts
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rog48
1 out of 10 are kept eh? Have anything to support that? I doubt it. Though there are people who get a bigger harley (a downgrade to me) there are 2 other groups of people who when combined are a larger number of people than the ones who compensate with a bigger harley.

One is the people who thought bigger was better but found out all it is.............is bigger. So they get rid of their bigger more expensive bike and come back to the sporty because they miss the raw feeling of actually being on a motorcycle that the sporty gives.

The other is those that bought a bigger harley because they want it for what they are made for, 600+ mile, 8 hour+ days going down a perfectly flat, straight interstate at 85 MPH, loaded with luggage, tunes and their OL. But they miss the raw feeling of actually being on a motorcycle that the sporty gives so they add a sporty to their lineup.
Well said Rog48.
I was riding on a Goldwing with all the bells & whistles it was a nice smooth bike and so fast and comfortable on the hi-way but take it on the winding backroads and it felt like I was dancing with a hippopotamus.
The 883 is the total opposite of the luxury touring bikes I take a tent to camp not an RV.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:08 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,028 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Dual-Linkerts
Well said Rog48.
I was riding on a Goldwing with all the bells & whistles it was a nice smooth bike and so fast and comfortable on the hi-way but take it on the winding backroads and it felt like I was dancing with a hippopotamus.
The 883 is the total opposite of the luxury touring bikes I take a tent to camp not an RV.
Good analogy...

Since I picked up this Iron, I definately prefer riding it over the Streetglide...at least in and around town. I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and will take the Streetglide but overall, the Sporty is just more fun to ride with the exception of trips and riding 2-up. No way my wife would ride on the Iron and I am not going to set it up for a passenger. Bottom line...this idea that the Sportster is a bike you 'graduate from to a real bike' is a fallacy. Just my .02...

To the OP...if you don't want to end up messing with an engine build just get the 1200. If your the kind of person who doesn't mind that sort of thing, or even look forward to it, then consider the 883.

Last edited by stratplexi; 06-08-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 06-08-2013, 12:57 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Good analogy...

Since I picked up this Iron, I definately prefer riding it over the Streetglide...at least in and around town. I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks and will take the Streetglide but overall, the Sporty is just more fun to ride with the exception of trips and riding 2-up. No way my wife would ride on the Iron and I am not going to set it up for a passenger. Bottom line...this idea that the Sportster is a bike you 'graduate from to a real bike' is a fallacy. Just my .02...

To the OP...if you don't want to end up messing with an engine build just get the 1200. If your the kind of person who doesn't mind that sort of thing, or even look forward to it, then consider the 883.

i think a lot of times the guys on the baggers are wishing they could afford an xl also. most of us older guys have to please the better half so the bigger bikes make the most sense when you are going to be riding with the wife. they both have there strong points with the xl being strong in the fun department.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:26 PM
IRON1250
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by chgofirefighter
So at the end of the day, whats was your total investment for all that work?
all the work was free. i did it all, LOL. the parts however weren't free. here is a breakdown of what i invested in the rebuild. i think both hammer and nrhs are now offering the parts as a package deal that might save you a few hundred dollars. let me say that there was never a doubt in my mind that once my warranty ran out i would be upgrading the engine on the iron. however it was a really fun bike to ride around town as an 883 and i can see people being more than happy with the power from a stage 1 883 with upgraded tuner. all depends on what YOU want and enjoy.
i'll break this down so you can see what each part cost as a lot of the things like tuner and exhaust i could have gone with cheaper alternatives.

883 heads stage 2 port work $770
1250 kit $650
cometic top end gasket kit $50
cometic cam cover gasket $10
upgraded pushrods $60
s.e. .497 cams $285
round billet air cleaner with k&n fitter $210
engraving on a/c $40
crankcase breather kit $30
rb lsr 2 into 1 exhaust system $670
thundermax ecm $860
energy one extra disc clutch kit $125
denso iridium plugs $20
K&P engineering cleanable reuseable oil fiter (highly recomended)$154
total came to $3900 for all the parts.

I would not change a thing as it runs and sounds awesome. the power from this build is just what i was looking for. i haven't had it on a dyno but it is considerably more powerful than a stock 1200 and i have the bike that caught my eye more than any other harley. i can't imagine the 100+ hp builds you can put in these bikes easily now with the 883 gearing. i'm not planning on selling it so i consider the build a good investment and it was a great experience building it to what i wanted rather than just getting a stock 1200. of course this is just my opinion and many just want to go stock or stage 1 which is perfectly fine. i would like to get a 1200 and build it up also but i think i'm leaning toward a flhx to go with my sporty.

Last edited by IRON1250; 06-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:22 PM
chgofirefighter
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON1250
all the work was free. i did it all, LOL. the parts however weren't free. here is a breakdown of what i invested in the rebuild. i think both hammer and nrhs are now offering the parts as a package deal that might save you a few hundred dollars. let me say that there was never a doubt in my mind that once my warranty ran out i would be upgrading the engine on the iron. however it was a really fun bike to ride around town as an 883 and i can see people being more than happy with the power from a stage 1 883 with upgraded tuner. all depends on what YOU want and enjoy.
i'll break this down so you can see what each part cost as a lot of the things like tuner and exhaust i could have gone with cheaper alternatives.

883 heads stage 2 port work $770
1250 kit $650
cometic top end gasket kit $50
cometic cam cover gasket $10
upgraded pushrods $60
s.e. .497 cams $285
round billet air cleaner with k&n fitter $210
engraving on a/c $40
crankcase breather kit $30
rb lsr 2 into 1 exhaust system $670
thundermax ecm $860
energy one extra disc clutch kit $125
denso iridium plugs $20
K&P engineering cleanable reuseable oil fiter (highly recomended)$154
total came to $3900 for all the parts.

I would not change a thing as it runs and sounds awesome. the power from this build is just what i was looking for. i haven't had it on a dyno but it is considerably more powerful than a stock 1200 and i have the bike that caught my eye more than any other harley. i can't imagine the 100+ hp builds you can put in these bikes easily now with the 883 gearing. i'm not planning on selling it so i consider the build a good investment and it was a great experience building it to what i wanted rather than just getting a stock 1200. of course this is just my opinion and many just want to go stock or stage 1 which is perfectly fine. i would like to get a 1200 and build it up also but i think i'm leaning toward a flhx to go with my sporty.

I think that I found the bike "FINALLY" an Iron from 2010 with all the work done to her, 1205 kit, headwork, Vance & Hinces pipe, Wood cams, LED headlight, drag bar, Dakota digital gauge, V Rod front brakes, etc etc.. I will post pics if I decide on buying her.. Apparently, the kid and his father did all the work. However, all the work was done by HD, they have proper documentation, what was done, how much was spent etc, etc.. Time to negogiate tomorrow.. and Yes, most bagger guys want a nice smaller bike to just have fun with and feel like a kid again, well, I'm still a kid at heart I guess...

Asking price on the bike is $7,500~

Old 06-08-2013, 06:39 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Are you going to race it or ride it. Everybody is going to recommend a 1200 all the while I do two up on my 883r quite a bit with 350lbs of rider/passenger weight and have absolutely no power issues whatsoever. I have no issues cruising at 70mph all day long two up. It's comfort level is nowhere near what a tourer is but a tourer is pretty much a ride in a straight line machine and they do it exceptionally well. The 883 even if you upgrade it to 1200/1250 has a substantially lower insurance rate as by title its a 883 motor.

Sorry but I haven't bought into the bigger is better mentality that a lot of HD riders have. I can back my bike up an incline barely. I'm an ox strength wise and I couldn't back an 800+lb machine up an incline. With that being said HD's are what they are. I've had my 883r almost 6 years and I have no issues with it at all and its in all aspects bone stock. I like 54mpg highway. I like being able to easily push this near 600 lb machine around at will. It fits beside my cars in a 2 car garage... A tourer wouldn't fit. Again its a matter of what your purpose is. If your short tripping, a daily rider than the 883 will do anything a 1200 will for less money all around. Last but not least its by far the most fun Harley Davidson to ride. Ride safe