Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 05:58 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TStephen
Realized I left my petcock on for (who knows how long) awhile and so I leaked a bunch of fuel into the cylinders. Pulled my carb (to rebuild the obviously worn float needle among other things), siponed and blew out the cylinders.
We'll see how this pans out.
Wouldn't have leaked past the rings into your sump too? Think i'd be inclined to change the oil to be safe.

Old 04-19-2016, 07:20 AM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr_Taipan
Wouldn't have leaked past the rings into your sump too? Think i'd be inclined to change the oil to be safe.
I posted a thread about this and got some really good feedback from a few people. This forum is a great source of help.

I pulled the carb (to rebuild it) and plugs, siphoned out gas from the cylinders, pulled the plug wires from the coil (so as to prevent spark) and cycled the engine a bunch with the starter. It blew some fuel mist out but not a great deal.

I'll change the oil, run it to warm it up and cycle the oil, then change it and the filter again.

In the meantime, I've got my carb on the bench and will be working on that over the next few days.

The following users liked this post:
Mr_Taipan (04-19-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 03:20 PM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Got my replacement clevis pins so I was able to fit my forward controls today. I also put on a Mustang Solo seat. Not ridden it yet but feels lovely to sit on anyway, so I'm ever hopeful!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Got off work early so went home and got the bike. Pointed her north and went about 100 miles in places I've never been. Had a good day.

Ordered saddlebags yesterday. Spent a buttload of money but got top notch stuff. Will take a couple weeks to get them.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:33 PM
Lifestarts@40
Tourer
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

Got my replacement clevis pins so I was able to fit my forward controls today. I also put on a Mustang Solo seat. Not ridden it yet but feels lovely to sit on anyway, so I'm ever hopeful!

I did forwards and that exact seat. It's a whole different bike in a positive way. Congrats!

Mr_Taipan (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Looks great man. How are you liking the seat? Mines the same one.

Mr_Taipan (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:50 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

I also switched to forwards a few weeks ago. Yes I like it better but still getting used to it a bit. Take corners a bit slower til you get used to the difference. There IS a difference in the feel.

Mr_Taipan (04-21-2016)
Old 04-20-2016, 09:03 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Mr. Taipan and Wreckwriter, I notice you both have a fairing. How are you liking them? I'm still trying to decide if I like them or not.

Mr. Taipan, that's a beautiful looking bike.

Wreckwriter, that's an interesting comment about the difference in cornering from mids to forwards. My 1200C came with forwards and one of the reasons I chose that bike is two different dealers thought it fit me better and that was partly because of the forwards (got my license after the purchase...a story for a different day). One of the greater challenges on this learning curve for me the is twists and turns at higher speeds. In the Proficient Motorcyclist they recommend mid controls for beginners. Do you find it to be a significant difference?

Mr_Taipan (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 05:39 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Thanks for the comments guys.

Seat is an absolute winner. It felt right right from the outset. Very pleased with that. It seems to sit slightly further back and I feel I need to pull my bars back slightly, as I'm tall this is a good thing. I tried a RSD Cafe and even a Sundowner dual, but this is much more comfortable for me and I gather they get even better as you break them in?

Forwards, hmm, not so sure to be honest. Was surprised at how far forward they felt? There is quite a big difference in them and the mids, certainly more than I was expecting! Kinda weird though, as it felt like my feet were sliding off them at 70/80mph when it gets a bit vibey? Started to settle into them though but then I went to change gear and the little toe bit on the gear lever had gone AWOL! D'oh! I'll trial them for a week or so but at this stage I think the mids will be going back on...

tlaw (04-21-2016)
Old 04-21-2016, 05:56 AM
Mr_Taipan
Road Master

Originally Posted by tlaw
Mr. Taipan and Wreckwriter, I notice you both have a fairing. How are you liking them? I'm still trying to decide if I like them or not.

Mr. Taipan, that's a beautiful looking bike.

Wreckwriter, that's an interesting comment about the difference in cornering from mids to forwards. My 1200C came with forwards and one of the reasons I chose that bike is two different dealers thought it fit me better and that was partly because of the forwards (got my license after the purchase...a story for a different day). One of the greater challenges on this learning curve for me the is twists and turns at higher speeds. In the Proficient Motorcyclist they recommend mid controls for beginners. Do you find it to be a significant difference?
I do have a love/hate relationship with the fairing, so much so I didn't use the headlamp mounting bracket and can remove it with just the two allen bolts on the headlamp visor. Thing is I take it off and love the old school naked look, but after a few weeks I miss it and put it back on. Its on more than its off though. Indecision, its a terrible thing, lol!

I used to think it offered zero wind protection, but you do notice increased wind blast when you remove it. That said you'd only buy it for looks and not wind protection or you'll be disappointed!

tlaw (04-21-2016)

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?