Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 03:21 PM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Do you have external breathers, or vent back into the engine?
Im running a joker machine intake which routes the flow from the breathers back through the intake.

Old 08-16-2017, 07:01 PM
FL_Moto
Intermediate
Received 36 Likes on 15 Posts

Redoing the wire tuck and uncovered some questionable wiring. A previous owner had something extra wired in at some point and then somebody removed it.

Not bagging on the PO here. I’ve done some janky s#!t on previous projects that would **** current me off. My tolerance level of jankiness has diminished and awareness of the consequences of shoddy work has increased.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Ratwerke
Road Captain
Received 143 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by FL_Moto
Redoing the wire tuck and uncovered some questionable wiring. A previous owner had something extra wired in at some point and then somebody removed it.
Not bagging on the PO here. I’ve done some janky s#!t on previous projects that would **** current me off. My tolerance level of jankiness has diminished and awareness of the consequences of shoddy work has increased.
Even if we engage in shenanigans of a high jank level ourselves, no one is absolved. Jank is jank. The future owner can call you on yours, and you can call his, or mine, without reservation.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:11 AM
AaronG87
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

After having tried to get the broken exhaust stud out for six hours I caved and brought it to a friend to see if he could get the broken stud and broken easy out removed with his Haas mill. Two days later I have it back with the original threads still decently intact! Only minor damage from my attempting to drill it out with a carbide bit. Now to pick up my honed cylinders from BBRP and pick up a top end rebuild kit.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:47 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,663 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronG87
Im running a joker machine intake which routes the flow from the breathers back through the intake.
That contributes to carbon in the cylinder area, which is why a lot of people route them externally.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:23 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by FL_Moto

I've seen plenty of stuff like that in wiring. Airline I worked for decided it was cheaper to "farm out" labor and lay off most of their own mechanics. Wasn't long before I saw wires twisted together like that on a 747 engine, and yes, it had problems... On a motorcycle, it's simple enough to put a couple drops of solder on those, and some shrink tubing over it - or that silicon tape that flows together, won't come apart with a little oil or gas like electrical tape. I like crimp connectors, never had a problem with good ones.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:34 PM
TStephen
Road Warrior
Received 296 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by AaronG87
Removed the top end entirely since my #2 cylinder head is out for repairs. Dropped the cylinders off at BBRP to be honed today.
Cover up your baby. Weird ****'s been known to fall in the case.

Also, don't forget all new gaskets.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Green Dart
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 168 Posts

Well, I set myself up for a future busy weekend - I bought the V&H Big Radius exhaust system, inserts, a FP3 tuner and a kit to re-route the crankcase air out of the A/C. Also bought a Hammer Performance offset intake - an engine is just a big air pump, right??, so easy in, easy out is better.

Tune & make melodious engine sounds for all to enjoy. Of course my backside is about $1,400 lighter.

You all here are a bad influence! Don't change a thing.

gd

Old 08-17-2017, 05:56 PM
Honey-Badger
Extreme HDF Member
Received 384 Likes on 256 Posts

about that... I may be trading my sporty. My wife is ready to begin riding with me again. I am going to need something better for two up.

If I happen to make the trade, I will miss this little hooligan thrasher.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Tileman2692
Road Warrior
Received 543 Likes on 277 Posts

Changed the motor oil and slapped a high performance oil filter from DK Customs, changed the primary oil also. Adjusted the primary change, washed her up and and took her for a ride

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?