Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 AM
cacomly
Road Master
Received 585 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
If we were making tank lifts out of flat pieces of metal, and not powder coating them, and not using USA made Stainless steel hardware,and not matching the lines of the frame, and not backing them with a Lifetime Warranty, then we would not be selling them for 42.95.

But we are making them quite a bit differently than what can be made in a typical home garage.

You cannot get the metal and hardware that make up our Tank Lift Kit for anywhere close to $2. Our wholesale cost, just for the USA made stainless hardware (nuts, bolts & washers), is about that, then there is the cost of the round stock and DOM material for the actual tank lift, the cost of the labor to weld it, gas & welding wire, plus the powder coating. And, yes, we make a profit.

Installed, it blends with the rest of the bike-

That said, we are all for folks making their own stuff...That is How We Started! But lots of folks don't want to make their own parts, and/or they want nicer looking parts, so we have those available for them.
I'd like to add that I visited their shop last week and spoke with Kevin for over two hours and he showed me around. I saw these in the process of being made and they (as well as all the other parts I saw) are worth the price in time and materials.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 AM
PinoyJedi
Novice
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Added something small but significant today.

DK Custom (03-21-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 02:15 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,940 Likes on 2,295 Posts

Originally Posted by AMP'd
No question these are great looking and well built, I have seen these on several bikes around here. I just personally decided to go in a different direction with this.
Nothing but love for DK Customs though, actually putting some money to the side now, going to be ordering a set of foot pegs and pro-action shocks real soon! Cant wait for that!
Thank you for the kind words.

Totally with you on going your own direction. All Harley's, but especially Sportster's, are such a great blank canvas to make it your own.

Making it your own means different things to different folks.

We went a bit bazonkers...we did not like the options out there for our own bikes, so we made our own parts. Other folks saw what we made for our bikes and asked us if we could make the same for them. That is literally how DK Custom Products started. Our first "shop" was the back porch at Devin's house.

Many folks "make it their own" by picking and choosing from available parts suppliers. Others make as many of their own parts as possible, and everywhere in between. It's all good.

btw, I believe you will really like the ride quality you'll get out of the PA shocks.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-29-2019, 09:02 PM
thomassa3
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Went to the shop to check alignment of new handle bars before final install. (12” RSD w/ 2” risers)

Whitewalls and fork gaiters to be installed as well...and the dude threw in the install of my coil and ignition relocate for good measure. Was gonna do it myself, but he said he’d throw it in for no charge...can’t beat that!

DK Custom (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts
Default End of an era

I put it out there.... expecting way less but.... that's how it goes... must bring this chapter to a close.

Sad day...: https://tallahassee.craigslist.org/m...853760553.html

Sadly BMW ruined the new z4 with automatics only here in the US... no way, keep it. Porsche will get the money. I'm not paying $60k for a lame auto in a roadster. What is the point?

Last edited by cvaria; 03-29-2019 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:37 AM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by cvaria
I put it out there.... expecting way less but.... that's how it goes... must bring this chapter to a close.

Sadly BMW ruined the new z4 with automatics only here in the US... no way, keep it. Porsche will get the money. I'm not paying $60k for a lame auto in a roadster. What is the point?
so you are giving up your sporty....$6k is a very reasonable price. Sold my 2011 with 76k miles with warranty for $7,500...invested more than $12k in mods so definitely a loss. Good luck!

Old 03-30-2019, 05:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by hscic
so you are giving up your sporty....$6k is a very reasonable price. Sold my 2011 with 76k miles with warranty for $7,500...invested more than $12k in mods so definitely a loss. Good luck!
You are 100% right, these are losses. I'm right there with you.

I'm alive, that's a total win. Some days I question that but, at least I'm alive to even be questioning it... I still have no idea what really went down but ATGATT, the reckless love, and my family saved me. Incredible lessons...

Dang sporty has been my best buddy for years. Very sad to be letting the XL go. Just terrible... so many adventures. Just can't have it in the garage tempting me. I was never able to behaive on it.

Be safe, Nothing but love for all of you. you are all like my brothers, and then there's my invisible teacher/ Sensei, Multihdrdr.

The following 2 users liked this post by cvaria:
hscic (03-30-2019), WKNDS (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:22 AM
aidoru
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I am sorry for your pain and wish you well. I followed the thread about the building of your Sporty with great pleasure. It makes for an interesting reading not just as a source of information but as a statement of character. I am sure you will find other endeavors in which to channel all that passion and ingenuity.

Old 03-30-2019, 12:20 PM
Jed Clampett
Stellar HDF Member
Received 2,030 Likes on 872 Posts

Mounted a T-Sport fairing to my "Adventure Roadster".

Bama Lee (03-31-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 01:39 PM
hscic
Elite HDF Member
Received 544 Likes on 463 Posts

You are 100% right, these are losses. I'm right there with you.

I'm alive, that's a total win. Some days I question that but, at least I'm alive to even be questioning it... I still have no idea what really went down but ATGATT, the reckless love, and my family saved me. Incredible lessons...

Dang sporty has been my best buddy for years. Very sad to be letting the XL go. Just terrible... so many adventures. Just can't have it in the garage tempting me. I was never able to behaive on it.

Be safe, Nothing but love for all of you. you are all like my brothers, and then there's my invisible teacher/ Sensei, Multihdrdr.

https://youtu.be/Sc6SSHuZvQE
Well you can still hang around here like I do and share your knowledge with the brothers even if you don't have a sporty. You went through a lot of trials and tribulations to make that bike your own....we all learn from these experiences.

I hear you...in fact, I posted this today on another thread in a different section of this forum....
When I went to the pipe bender yesterday, I got there about 11:30 a.m. The guy took about 10-15 minutes to bend the pipe in two places...did it at no charge. Found out from the local news just a few businesses away from the pipe bender around 12:05 p.m., there was a shooting where 2 individuals were shot. The police closed off the area. Talk about timing and feeling lucky to have been out of there just before that happened. Never know when it's your time,....you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time.....live life to its fullest. Sound corny but....close calls like this makes you realize it can happen.

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?