Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to Your Sportster Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 09:16 PM
boomerguy
Road Captain
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts

Since replacing my OEM H-D Dunlop's on my Sportster XL883 Standard with Metzeler's it has been leaning a whole lot more than before. Just like car tires, identical tire sizes can vary from one brand to the next and these Metzeler's are tall -- excellent tires but still tall. Anyway, I installed the Bung King kickstand pad and love it. The pad quality and design is excellent. The only hard part was drilling the holes in my kickstand which I believe is made from the same alloy that is in Wolverine's skeleton. It took three days and several trips to the hardware stores to locate drill bits that wouldn't burn up. I went from HSS to titanium and then finally to cobalt. I didn't try carbide because I don't have a drill press. It was worth the all the time, trouble and expense but I'm not sure I would do it all over again. The CNC pad is 1" higher and is perfect.
http://www.bungking.com/kickstand-lift-block/
Extra note: in removing the kickstand, I discovered one of my brass bushing/flange bearing was completely worn out. I'm waiting for a replacement in the mail. I couldn't find an exact match at any local hardware stores. The H-D brand is super expensive and made in China. Fortunately, I found this whole kit for less than the price of 2 bushings and it is all made in the US:
https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/3134-...CABEgJumvD_BwE

Last edited by boomerguy; 06-21-2019 at 09:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by boomerguy:
Imold (06-22-2019), Packgrog (06-24-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 1,648 Likes on 1,107 Posts

I got my bushing set from HD dealer. Got sick of waiting for everything in the mail.

Today I installed a luggage rack for the back of the sissy bar. Picks to follow.

As promised

Last edited by handirifle; 06-22-2019 at 12:57 AM.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:01 AM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry for the grainy pic, but not much light in the garage. Really looking forward to loadin it up for a trip. The plan is to get a bag that straddles it like this one https://www.vikingbags.com/harley-da...cycle-tail-bag.

Old 06-22-2019, 07:25 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,273 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by handirifle
Sorry for the grainy pic, but not much light in the garage. Really looking forward to loadin it up for a trip. The plan is to get a bag that straddles it like this one https://www.vikingbags.com/harley-da...cycle-tail-bag.

If you need a bag thats absolutely waterproof for your trips, you might want to check out Kriega.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-us-30-drypack

Here's a youtube of how one person attaches them.

hth,

T.

Old 06-22-2019, 10:22 AM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Since replacing my OEM H-D Dunlop's on my Sportster XL883 Standard with Metzeler's it has been leaning a whole lot more than before. Just like car tires, identical tire sizes can vary from one brand to the next and these Metzeler's are tall -- excellent tires but still tall. Anyway, I installed the Bung King kickstand pad and love it. The pad quality and design is excellent. The only hard part was drilling the holes in my kickstand which I believe is made from the same alloy that is in Wolverine's skeleton. It took three days and several trips to the hardware stores to locate drill bits that wouldn't burn up. I went from HSS to titanium and then finally to cobalt. I didn't try carbide because I don't have a drill press. It was worth the all the time, trouble and expense but I'm not sure I would do it all over again. The CNC pad is 1" higher and is perfect.
http://www.bungking.com/kickstand-lift-block/
Extra note: in removing the kickstand, I discovered one of my brass bushing/flange bearing was completely worn out. I'm waiting for a replacement in the mail. I couldn't find an exact match at any local hardware stores. The H-D brand is super expensive and made in China. Fortunately, I found this whole kit for less than the price of 2 bushings and it is all made in the US:
https://www.lowbrowcustoms.com/3134-...CABEgJumvD_BwE
The jiffy stand on my 1200 is a lot looser than the one on my 883, think I'll get that bushing set and see if it makes a difference, thanks for posting. Its been my experience that some Harley bushings are what I'd call worn out loose when they're new. Most sportsters I see have OEM Dunlops, probably the oldest design tire on the market and handles like it. Everyone I've seen and talked to that did try a different brand said the handling really improved, regardless of what brand they tried. I use Avons on my Harleys, stickiest tires I've ever ridden on, and either Avon or Bridgestone on my metrics. I seldom buy any OEM Harley parts, aftermarket has better American made parts, and usually lower cost. Most riders just do dealer maintenance, don't have a choice, glad I've been able to do everything on my bikes so far. Now if I can just figure out how to get that S&S motor I can't lift at my age back in the bike...

Old 06-22-2019, 12:16 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

For anyone doing similar, I we t to local ACE hardware and got 4, 3/4", 1/4-20, Stainless allen head screws to replace the 1/2" x 1/4-20, #27 torx head screws that held the back rest to the QD brackets. I think the torx head screws provide a greater tightening force without the worry of stripping, better than allen heads but finding those is next to impossible locally.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:18 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by byrdman.45

Finally installed the new style oil drain hose on my Roadster today. Don't care for the clip holding it, may replace with zip tie. Used wire sheathing over it to help protect it from rubbing against the inner fender flap. Saw this on a newer model XL and thought why not try it. Make oil changes little easier.

Whats different, other than a longer hose?

Old 06-22-2019, 08:30 PM
firehawk6
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,510 Likes on 2,973 Posts

FINALLY the rain moved out and I was able to get out and do some riding this evening.

I was out riding county roads and have decided central Indiana has turned into one big swamp, water is standing everywhere. It had already been a wet spring, and by my rain gauge we got an additional 6"+ in just the past week. Hoping for dry weather the week of the 4th as I'll be off on vacation.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:44 PM
handirifle
Seasoned HDF Member

I finally got around to changing out the primary oil, and adjusted the clutch. Am angry at myself, since I bought the engine oil and primary oil at the same time, but drove almost 1000 miles before doing the primary. Good news, the oil looked like new. The BAD news, the drain plug was literally FINGER TIGHT. I park it in my garage and would have noticed a slow leak, but if it has just undone itself on a ride, well that would have cost me a ton, since it would have been a shop job. Above my paygrade.

I still need to change out my right side turn signal button to the extended one. Really dreading that part.

For the record, I am doing all the maintenance on this bike for the first time since I bought it a few months ago. Still waited too long. I knew better.

Last edited by handirifle; 06-23-2019 at 11:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Packgrog (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 07:57 AM
Packgrog
Road Captain
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by boomerguy
Since replacing my OEM H-D Dunlop's on my Sportster XL883 Standard with Metzeler's it has been leaning a whole lot more than before. Just like car tires, identical tire sizes can vary from one brand to the next and these Metzeler's are tall -- excellent tires but still tall.
Which Metzelers? The ME888? And how tall are we talking, here? Is that what necessitated the kickstand tweak, then?

I've been aiming toward the ME888 for a while now, but other financial priorities keep forcing me to put it off. :/

Quick Reply: What did you do to Your Sportster Today?