Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 AM
Ice_Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Cleaners

I just purchased an '05 883 and I was wondering what a could air cleaner would be. I have heard that the SE Aircleaner isn't the greatest. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:10 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Air Cleaners

Well keep in mind you are dealing with ram air. If you open up the air cleaner, you will need a rejet for the carb and exhaust mods. When then you mod the intake, you will hafta mod everything to send it effeciently through the engine.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:12 AM
Ice_Rider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also plan on getting a full system exhaust, probably Samson Big Guns III. I was just wondering what air cleaners returned the best gains.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

I read alot. What I have read Screamin Eagle intakewith a carb retune and Cycle Shack pipes are the best for power.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:27 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ice_Rider

I also plan on getting a full system exhaust, probably Samson Big Guns III. I was just wondering what air cleaners returned the best gains.
I suggest for the A/C you look at Big Sucker, NRHS HurricaneFlow & Forcewinder. They all out perform the SE and give you the ability to reroute the rocker oil bypass away from the A/C filter. Your carb was designed to mix fuel & air, NOT fuel, air & oil. Only the Forcewinder is a"RAM" air system. Ram airrequires a forward facing opening so that as speed increases the air is forced through the filter into the carb intake. A good full pipe system exhaust will also outperform slipons. We're talking a tuned header pipe system vs more open louder mufflers.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Screamin Eagle Air Cleaner with Cycle Shack Slipon mufflers and am quite satisfied. There may be better options, the only thing I have to compare mine with was the stock setup. Two particular things I liked about those choices, Cycle Shack - GREAT PRICE. Screamin Eagle A/C, I got to keep the stock cover. I personally like the ham can appearance.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:01 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

I suggest for the A/C you look at Big Sucker, NRHS HurricaneFlow & Forcewinder. They all out perform the SE and give you the ability to reroute the rocker oil bypass away from the A/C filter.
Another I would add to the list is the Powerpacc. That also has a velocity stack in the backing plate. It is a round filter that is less expensive than the hurricaneflow.

Your carb was designed to mix fuel & air, NOT fuel, air & oil. Only the Forcewinder is a "RAM" air system. Ram air requires a forward facing opening so that as speed increases the air is forced through the filter into the carb intake.
Ram air is a nice theory. Forget about it for sportsters; it's irrelevant. RAM air doesn't do its magic until like 150 mph. You would have to change the gearing on your sportster to even attain that and I am totally ignoring the problem with aerodynamics.

Old 03-27-2007, 02:16 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1200c

I suggest for the A/C you look at Big Sucker, NRHS HurricaneFlow & Forcewinder. They all out perform the SE and give you the ability to reroute the rocker oil bypass away from the A/C filter.
Another I would add to the list is the Powerpacc. That also has a velocity stack in the backing plate. It is a round filter that is less expensive than the hurricaneflow.

Your carb was designed to mix fuel & air, NOT fuel, air & oil. Only the Forcewinder is a "RAM" air system. Ram air requires a forward facing opening so that as speed increases the air is forced through the filter into the carb intake.
Ram air is a nice theory. Forget about it for sportsters; it's irrelevant. RAM air doesn't do it's magic until like 150 mph. You would have to change the gearing on your sportster to even attain that and I am totally ignoring the problem with aerodynamics.
I agreeon the "ram" air theory although I belive above 60 or so a true "ram air" scoop would start to provide a benifit. I was only countering DallasTX's claim that his SE A/C and other high flow A/C's are ram air.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:08 PM
1200c
Road Warrior

I agreeon the "ram" air theory although I belive above 60 or so a true "ram air" scoop would start to provide a benifit. I was only countering DallasTX's claim that his SE A/C and other high flow A/C's are ram air.
I know the point you made. I just sort of started to ramble about ram air because I heard the word Nothing against you or the point you made.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:38 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Andif you install the S/E air cleaner, you end up taking off the "scoop" on the stock backplate. I'm no expert here, but that didn't make since to me.

Quick Reply: Air Cleaners