Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration from 2500-2800 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:15 PM
burnsy87
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think I've ever had my Sporty over 3700RPM... that too high? I guess I don't know the limit until I start screwing the engine up. I just broke the habit of shifting at ~3k like I was told to for the first 500 miles.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:28 PM
hitman1267
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cruise around 2500-2700. She vibrated a lot with the stock exhaust, the D&D Bobcat exhaust I got really smoothed everything out. My forty eight makes a lot of weird noises, most of them area normal. I'll never forget the first time i heard the angry evil sewing machine inside the engine.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:55 PM
Guzzi
Road Warrior
Received 105 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by burnsy87
I don't think I've ever had my Sporty over 3700RPM... that too high? I guess I don't know the limit until I start screwing the engine up. I just broke the habit of shifting at ~3k like I was told to for the first 500 miles.
The rev limiter is designed so you won't over rev the motor. The dealer Stage one download raises the rpm redline by a 1000 rpm.

Go ahead and twist that throttle some.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:57 PM
burnsy87
Tourer

Okay thanks Guzzi, I wasn't sure what the actual limits were. That makes me feel better.

Old 09-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought my Iron new. At 3400 RPM to 4000,it had a bad vibration in the pegs and bars. It was really disappointing. After 4000 miles it started to settle in and get much better. I just did the 1200 conversion And Now its back. But after 500 miles its going away again. Plus the bike is so much more fun to ride.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:51 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Guzzi
Sportys do just fine cruising at 2300 rpm. They just do better cruising around 3500 rpm
Oh, I absolutely agree when the road in front of you is clear.

But when you're in traffic and you're just running lazily in the flow that's a different scenario.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:43 AM
3bc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Zenmervolt
Oh, I absolutely agree when the road in front of you is clear.

But when you're in traffic and you're just running lazily in the flow that's a different scenario.
Couldn't disagree more. When I'm in traffic I cruise as close to 4000 as possible.

1. That makes the bike louder and more noticeable to surrounding traffic.

2. You have almost twice as much available HP if you need to accelerate out of a tricky situation.

3. You can use engine breaking for extra stopping power if necessary by down shifting.

Old 09-08-2014, 04:18 PM
Zenmervolt
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3bc
Couldn't disagree more. When I'm in traffic I cruise as close to 4000 as possible.

1. That makes the bike louder and more noticeable to surrounding traffic.

2. You have almost twice as much available HP if you need to accelerate out of a tricky situation.

3. You can use engine breaking for extra stopping power if necessary by down shifting.
This is a joke post, right? Dear god let this be a joke.

1) Don't be that jackass intentionally revving just to make the bike louder. You just make everyone around you angry. All you're doing is playing into the South Park caricature of a Harley owner and further cementing the average driver's negative opinion of motorcyclists.

2) There is this thing called a "transmission" on these bikes. It allows you to choose several different gears when you need them. You may not have noticed, but you are, in fact, allowed to shift down to a lower gear even if you've already shifted into a higher gear. For example, if you need to accelerate, you can swiftly downshift for added power. If you are frequently in situations where the microseconds it takes to downshift are too much of a delay for your "safety" then you need to take a serious look at your reckless riding style.

3) Engine braking does not give you "added stopping power." The maximum stopping power is determined by the amount of grip available to the tire. This grip amount is easily exceeded by the rear brake alone. Using engine braking will not make you stop faster than simply using the brakes alone. Engine braking is useful to control speed (and prevent brake overheating) when going down long downhill sections, when coasting lazily to a stop, or when someone in front of you slows slightly and you just need to bleed a few miles per hour with no particular rush. It is NOT an appropriate method to stop quickly in an emergency and it actually reduces your ability to effectively modulate rear-wheel braking force to avoid lock-up.

Bottom line: I've been riding for damn near twenty years now. I've seen more than my share of bad/dangerous driving from cars in my commuting in downtown Seattle and in my pleasure riding in the country. I've heard your "points" from young riders before. They were wrong then and they're still wrong now.

Old 09-08-2014, 05:34 PM
3bc
Cruiser

Zen,

1. I couldn't care less about perpetuating any stereotype about loud/obnoxious Harley riders. When I look around on the road, whether in my car or on the bike, 3 out of 4 drivers it seems are either talking or texting on their phone while driving. The roads have never been less safe for motorcycles than they are now with how distracted the average driver is. It's certainly not the be all end all, and it's not a crutch to be relied upon, but it does help, and I don't give a rats *** what anyone thinks about my bike being loud as they peruse their facebook feed while whipping down a 40mph road at 50mph in rush hour traffic.

2. I must have given you the impression I am regularly putting myself in situations where milliseconds matter. Far from it. I am actually a very defensive/conservative rider. But let's be real. A stock 1200cc sporty has perhaps about 20 available HP and 30-40 lb ft. of torque at 2300 rpm if you look at the average Dyno chart. At 4300 rpm, that number is closer 60 HP and 50-60 lb ft of torque. You honestly believe if it would take you "microseconds" to read an emergency situation, make the mental connection of what you need to do, and then physically downshift two gears in order to be where you have legitimate power available to you? My guess is that for everyone other than professional drivers and athletes whose reaction times are wired at otherworldly levels, that is at least a half second to full second process. I hope to never find myself in a situation where every half second counts, but I would like to be as prepared as possible if I do.

3. You are absolutely right. I am wrong.

With all due respect, I couldn't care less that you've been riding for twenty years so don't even bother trying to old time me. Four of the 12 students in my MSF class were all 50-60 year old guys who had been riding for 20 years and were only there because they were never properly licensed and had gotten pulled over by the cops and told they needed to get a license. Every single one of them failed the driving test miserably. Most of them couldn't have done the figure 8 portion of the test if you made the box the size of a football field.

Old 09-08-2014, 06:18 PM
hexnut
Banned
Received 224 Likes on 176 Posts

I have been riding for 56 years and I say you are wrong too.

Quick Reply: vibration from 2500-2800 rpm