Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   OFF / RUN Switch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/97998-off-run-switch.html)

cHarley 04-03-2007 03:38 PM

OFF / RUN Switch

Does anyone here, with experience, understand the purpose of the off/run handlebar switch other than maybe an emergency engine kill switch? After decades of riding earlier bikes that only had an ignition (key) switch, I fail to understand why the owners manual says I should use this switch to stop the engine, but it doesn't say why. The ignition switch alone seems to work just fine. I would appreciate a technical reason or answer instead of guesses.

oviedohd 04-03-2007 03:43 PM

RE: OFF / RUN Switch

Convenience maybe?

sleepneagle 04-03-2007 04:02 PM

engine kill. way to kill the engine quickly in emergency. also used to prpoerly shut down the bike. engine stop sequence; kill switch, turn ignition switch off.

OldFenderGuy 04-03-2007 04:12 PM

All of my older Harley's just had the 'ignition switch', and as you said, it wasn't until recent years that HD started using 'kill switches'..

I think it's just a safety (or emergency) switch to kill the engine if you run into a problem, much like the 'bank sensor' that will kill your engine if the bike is tilted beyond a certain point.

That being said, I never use the bar mounted 'kill switch' when stopping or starting my bikes.

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/harleycat.jpg

cHarley 04-03-2007 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

engine kill. way to kill the engine quickly in emergency. also used to prpoerly shut down the bike. engine stop sequence; kill switch, turn ignition switch off.
Ok, but this bike isn't all that competerized. Just what is happening or being protected during the time between hitting the OFF/kill switch and shutting off the ignition switch. More to the point, what exactly will be screwed up if I don't use the OFF switch and turn off the bike withthe ignition key switch instead? Anyone with factual info?

cHarley 04-03-2007 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

All of my older Harley's just had the 'ignition switch', and as you said, it wasn't until recent years that HD started using 'kill switches'..

I think it's just a safety (or emergency) switch to kill the engine if you run into a problem, much like the 'bank sensor' that will kill your engine if the bike is tilted beyond a certain point.

That being said, I never use the bar mounted 'kill switch' when stopping or starting my bikes.

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/harleycat.jpg

Thanks, OFG. I have never used it. Just thought maybe there was something logical I didn't understand. Seems like something else to break IMO.

HOTLAP 04-03-2007 04:19 PM

It's for safety, should the bike still be in gear and your left hand slip off the clutch lever while leaning over to the right to reach the key the bike would jump forward and down you would go. It is much safer to kill the engine while both hands are still on the bars, then reach down to shut off the key with the engine already off.
PS I never use it either unless I am working on the bike with the power on and don't want it to accidently start if I happen to bump the start switch.

sleepneagle 04-03-2007 04:21 PM

there have been issues with speedo and tach due to the shut down sequence. I am sure if you pull your manual, it will state the sequence.

cHarley 04-03-2007 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

there have been issues with speedo and tach due to the shut down sequence. I am sure if you pull your manual, it will state the sequence.
Thanks sleepneagle, after designing computer control systems for the last 30 years I've learned that a manufactures "sequence of operation" manual is often written by textbook nit wits and best used with some skepticism. That's why I often ask WHY.

XL OCD 04-03-2007 07:13 PM

I don't know why, but I always use it. I only turn the key back when I'm removing it. For me, it's habit now. IF I'm ever in an emergency where I need to shut it down, my first thought is the kill switch, not the key.

balley 04-03-2007 07:15 PM

Just so they can sell you one more chrome switch cap.:D

Hagar the Horrible 04-03-2007 07:17 PM

[&o]Maybe so when the emergencydoes occur you will kno where the switch is

tzinsli 04-03-2007 08:01 PM

Perhaps it's to counter balance hi/low beam switch on the other side. :D

HD7585 04-03-2007 08:22 PM

As i lie beneath my softail in June of 05 and the rpm's began to climb and the rear wheel was doing about 70 mph........The kill switch came in quite handy...........First time i had to use it in 33 years of riding

cHarley 04-03-2007 08:32 PM

ORIGINAL: HD7585

As i lie beneath my softail in June of 05 and the rpm's began to climb and the rear wheel was doing about 70 mph........The kill switch came in quite handy...........First time i had to use it in 33 years of riding
Ok, then as my original post said "other than maybe as an emergency engine kill switch", my conclusion is, the necessity of it in everyday use is BS. :eek:

HD7585 04-03-2007 08:36 PM

OK Then.................BS it is

XL OCD 04-03-2007 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: cHarley

ORIGINAL: HD7585

Ok, then as my original post said "other than maybe as an emergency engine kill switch", my conclusion is, the necessity of it in everyday use is BS. :eek:
Well, it's there in case of an emergency, and I use it daily so if I have an emergency it's instinct to go there. But, both the ignition and shutoff have a wire going to and from them. They both do the same thing. Use whichever floats your boat.
It also makes a loud BANG if you flip it off, then back on while you're riding. :D

Wolhar 04-03-2007 08:52 PM

Actually it is there for Ignition more than as a Kill Switch. Do you unplug yer TV or Computer from the wall or do you use the ON/OFF Switch? It is designed for you to have BOTH hands on the Bars when Starting the Bike, and an added feature is to Kill the Engine, then the rest of the Load on the Electrical System. I know this because I am smart.:D

XL OCD 04-03-2007 09:09 PM

ORIGINAL: ******
I know this because I am smart.:D
http://forums.bradbarnett.net/images...es/bowdown.gif

balley 04-04-2007 01:15 AM

I actually use mine most of the time to cut off the engine.

Dallastx 04-04-2007 01:25 AM

The on/off switch provides another circuit. In the secondary electrical system, if there is a direct short. The switch is a redundant system from blowing fuses and causing other problems.

sumncguy 04-04-2007 08:25 AM

I heard that the OFF / RUN switch was a $800 dollar option, then they just made it standard equipment and added 1k to the price of the bike. [8D]

dbleagle 04-04-2007 08:43 AM

The only time I use it is on a slight incline while parking the bike... leaving it in gear and turning the switch off... then lettingout the clutch...

Normally I don't use it... it's the first Harley that I've had that had one...

There is only three buttons I know locations of for sure... left and right turn signals and the starter button...

All others just get in the way... lol... but they look cute!

Charlie D.

OldFenderGuy 04-04-2007 09:02 AM

ORIGINAL: sumncguy

I heard that the OFF / RUN switch was a $800 dollar option, then they just made it standard equipment and added 1k to the price of the bike. [8D]
BINGO!!!!

We have a Winner..... ;)

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/fatboy-fav-05.jpg

francos 04-04-2007 09:34 AM

ı use ıt for backfire :D

bdavis 04-04-2007 09:46 AM

In the MSF course they advised us to alway use the Kill Switch to turn off the bike.

Barry

PigInaBlanket 04-04-2007 09:53 AM

I always use the kill switch, it's just easier to get to than the key is.

OldFenderGuy 04-04-2007 09:59 AM

ORIGINAL: PigInaBlanket

I always use the kill switch, it's just easier to get to than the key is.
True, but you still need to be sure and turn off the ignition key (or switch) unless you want to become an expert at 'push starting' your bike.

I've seen that happen before, where someone used the 'kill switch' to turn off the ignition, but forgot to turn the key/switch to 'off'. [8D]

http://dogsdoom.com/PI/roadkingsturgis3.jpg

PigInaBlanket 04-04-2007 10:31 AM

I always turn the key off but after I get off the bike. ;)

MacAttack 04-04-2007 10:01 PM

I don't think I've ever used the kill switch.

markdt 04-06-2007 11:04 AM

Most stock sportsters have the ignition switch in front of the gas tank. You have to reach around the tank to shut it off. I re-located mine to the left side top engine mount , now I don't have to scuff up my tank to turn the bike off. It is there for safetyreasons and you can shut it down and still keep both hands on the bars. Mark...

sealbeachbum 04-06-2007 11:21 AM

Guns are responsible for Murders like Forks are responsible for making Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Ban Forks.
Haha!!!! I love that! OOPS! Sorry for getting off topic. [sm=offtopic.gif]

Turf 04-06-2007 12:22 PM

I'm certain that it is a DOT law that all Motorcycles have a kill switch as a safety feature - I believe they are required for all bikes manufactured after 1974 but I maybe off on the year - [/align]

Tim 04-07-2007 08:29 AM

Seems like I read or heard somewhere that you should use the kill to stop the motor as it has something to do with the electronics and will screw it up if you do not use it. Now that is one LONG sentence!:D Tim

Oldtimer of NM 04-08-2007 01:41 PM

Depends on how everything else is wired.
On the cheap import training wheels bike the OL had, shutting off the key switch disconnected the battery from the voltage regulator. This allowed the charging system to run wild untill the engine stopped. I was curious about all the electrical problems hte thing had untill I hooked up a voltmeter to it and killed the engine with the key. The voltage spiked to about 36 volts.

128auto 04-08-2007 01:49 PM

I use the kill switch to shut off the bike every single time, then pull the key off the ignition. It became my habit now and I cannot live without a kill switch.:D

Tell you a story, the other day my buddy was riding his 883C off the parking, a woman came in front of him and he has to stop the bike quickly. He locked the steering and ready to drop the bike, there was still enough time for him to kill the ignition before he dropped the bike on the ground very slowly, thank god, there isn't any damage to the bike.

Dr.Cool 04-08-2007 01:53 PM

I use the switch to stop the motor. Its what I was taught in class.
But, why the ignition has 2 positions plus off to this day pisses me off. If you turn it one click you can take the key out but the electronics are still on.