Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OFF / RUN Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:38 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts
Default OFF / RUN Switch

Does anyone here, with experience, understand the purpose of the off/run handlebar switch other than maybe an emergency engine kill switch? After decades of riding earlier bikes that only had an ignition (key) switch, I fail to understand why the owners manual says I should use this switch to stop the engine, but it doesn't say why. The ignition switch alone seems to work just fine. I would appreciate a technical reason or answer instead of guesses.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
oviedohd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OFF / RUN Switch

Convenience maybe?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:02 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

engine kill. way to kill the engine quickly in emergency. also used to prpoerly shut down the bike. engine stop sequence; kill switch, turn ignition switch off.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

All of my older Harley's just had the 'ignition switch', and as you said, it wasn't until recent years that HD started using 'kill switches'..

I think it's just a safety (or emergency) switch to kill the engine if you run into a problem, much like the 'bank sensor' that will kill your engine if the bike is tilted beyond a certain point.

That being said, I never use the bar mounted 'kill switch' when stopping or starting my bikes.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:12 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

engine kill. way to kill the engine quickly in emergency. also used to prpoerly shut down the bike. engine stop sequence; kill switch, turn ignition switch off.
Ok, but this bike isn't all that competerized. Just what is happening or being protected during the time between hitting the OFF/kill switch and shutting off the ignition switch. More to the point, what exactly will be screwed up if I don't use the OFF switch and turn off the bike withthe ignition key switch instead? Anyone with factual info?

Old 04-03-2007, 04:18 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: OldFenderGuy

All of my older Harley's just had the 'ignition switch', and as you said, it wasn't until recent years that HD started using 'kill switches'..

I think it's just a safety (or emergency) switch to kill the engine if you run into a problem, much like the 'bank sensor' that will kill your engine if the bike is tilted beyond a certain point.

That being said, I never use the bar mounted 'kill switch' when stopping or starting my bikes.

Thanks, OFG. I have never used it. Just thought maybe there was something logical I didn't understand. Seems like something else to break IMO.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:19 PM
HOTLAP
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 388 Likes on 298 Posts

It's for safety, should the bike still be in gear and your left hand slip off the clutch lever while leaning over to the right to reach the key the bike would jump forward and down you would go. It is much safer to kill the engine while both hands are still on the bars, then reach down to shut off the key with the engine already off.
PS I never use it either unless I am working on the bike with the power on and don't want it to accidently start if I happen to bump the start switch.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

there have been issues with speedo and tach due to the shut down sequence. I am sure if you pull your manual, it will state the sequence.

Old 04-03-2007, 04:38 PM
cHarley
Club Member

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

there have been issues with speedo and tach due to the shut down sequence. I am sure if you pull your manual, it will state the sequence.
Thanks sleepneagle, after designing computer control systems for the last 30 years I've learned that a manufactures "sequence of operation" manual is often written by textbook nit wits and best used with some skepticism. That's why I often ask WHY.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
XL OCD
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why, but I always use it. I only turn the key back when I'm removing it. For me, it's habit now. IF I'm ever in an emergency where I need to shut it down, my first thought is the kill switch, not the key.

Quick Reply: OFF / RUN Switch