Support for The Troops and their Families This is the place to give and get information about Support for our Troops and their Families.

Some Valuable Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Some Valuable Information

T.A.P Into Your Goals[/align]Navy News | February 02, 2007[/align]WHIDBEY ISLAND, Wash. (NNS) -- The North Sound Fleet and Family Support Center (FFSC) Naval Air Station Whidbey Islands (NASWI) offered the Transition Assistance Program (TAP), beginning Jan. 22 through 26, for Sailors retiring and separating from military service.
“The goal of the program is to ensure each and every person that leaves the service has enough information to make a smooth, stress-free transition to civilian life,” said Pam Delaney, work and family life consultant for the FFSC.
The Transition Assistance Program was designed by the Department of Defense, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Labor and the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, to assist service members in a career change.
“When I retired 21 years ago, the Navy didn’t have a program like this,” said retired Master Chief Hal Picard, a speaker from the retired activities office. “They just showed you the door and said 'so long'.”
The course offers important information on topics such as the Survivor Benefit Plan (SBP), veterans' benefits, moving entitlements and financial planning.
“The information you receive in this program is powerful and will benefit you in the days ahead,” said Capt. Syd Abernethy, commanding officer of NASWI. “I would like for the Sailors in attendance to take what [they] learn here back to their commands and share it with junior personnel.”
The class also offers assistance to improve skills in several key areas including job search, resume preparation and interview skills.
“I learned valuable information about writing a resume,” said Senior Chief Aviation Electronics Technician (AW) Ralph Futch. “For anyone separating from the service, this program is well worth your time.”
Retirement not only affects service members, but their families as well. Spouses believe the information given in TAP is very useful and applies to them too.
“I’m glad I attended this class and learned some valuable information about retirement,” said Karin Arthur. “This class should be mandatory for all Sailors and their spouses.”
The course is an opportunity to assist others, said Pat Ryan, a speaker from the Department of Labor.
“I get a chance to give back by teaching this particular class,” said Ryan. “These people are going to go out and serve their communities in another capacity.”
For related news, visit the Naval Air Station Whidbey Island Navy NewsStand page at www.news.navy.mil/local/naswhidbey/.