The Dark Side For those members running "Car Tires" on their scoots. This is for their discussion only and not a place for "non dark siders" to mouth off about their negative opinions of this idea!

Darkside "car tire"

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aplineman
...I tired of 5k miles a tire.
You could double that just by taking more care w/ throttle, shifting & braking.

Mostly it's the bikes w/ room for fat tires (think Softails) that have tried the car tires. Many Dyna's don't have room.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:09 PM
rmodel65
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i plan on doing it on my VTX1800....looks nice\/

[image]http://i462.photobucket.com/albums/qq349/Beermand/100_5473.jpg[image]

Old 11-28-2011, 03:37 PM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did it on an 2011 Road King and find it very rideable. If you are into raceing through tight curves stay with a OEM if you want something to last,well you know the story. Car tires are different,not bad just different at least mine is.

I ride like I ride as every one rides their way and I like it. smoother on the slab handles good don't know about mileage as I only have a couple hundred on it. I am good to go!

Only way to know is to try it! My Kumhoo 426 195/ 60 16 is my try it. Will know in a year or so. I do know air pressure is important for good handling and one lbs makes a difference. Right now that is all I can tell you except I run 3oz Dyna beads and smooth as glass,

Let the fun begin and have a good Holidays

Mike seen at
seipsg.net

Old 11-28-2011, 07:11 PM
DonN
Road Warrior
Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

How do you only manage 8k on Dunlops if riding only on the highway? Mine lasted well over 12k on mixed roads.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 PM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Most all of my tires have lasted well over 5k miles ...

I like the retro, nostalgic reproduction tires like the old Firestone, Coker, etc ... I periodically mull over trying them ... they have a car tire-like profile with the shoulders ...

Have seen several bikes that really look good with those tires ... there's a dealer in the UK (London maybe?) that has put those on a few '06 and later bobber dealer custom bikes they've built ... if I get a few spare moments I'll try to find a link and post a photo ....

I don't know why a car tire would not work as well on a Dyna as any other Harley ... if you can find one that'll fit your rim (and under your fender) ....

Good luck

R/
'Chop

Old 11-28-2011, 10:41 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SURFOR Chop

I don't know why a car tire would not work as well on a Dyna as any other Harley ... if you can find one that'll fit your rim (and under your fender) ....

Good luck

R/
'Chop
I have searched for a CT that will fit a Dyna and have come up empty. I have used the calculators for tire size, and dimensions and model and nothing comes up that will fit a Dyna. I have asked darksiders if they could find any tire that would fit the Dyna and no one has come up with anything.

If anyone has any size at all please let me know as I am about to buy another rear tire.

I put a lot of highway miles on my bike and wear my tires out straight down the middle. I have ridden with darksiders and they are pushing their machines as hard or harder than I am and I don't see any noticeable sacrifice in handling.

Last edited by Jonesee; 11-28-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:46 AM
SOTCprospectJacob
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperbrad
180/60/17 sorry.
I know this post is a little old but you may still be wondering. So i am going to throw my $0.02 in. I have a 08 Dyna street bob. My tire came with a 160/80 b17. I found that most dynas made between '07 and '09 had the same rear wheel width of 4.5" (spoke rim). I have also found that a 175/55 r17 tire will fit on all of the dynas with that width of rim. (includes fender fit). I myself have not gone to the "darkside" yet but have been researching extensively because I plan to. I hope you had luck finding a tire and who knows maybe my info will help in the future. by the way, if you find someone that carries the 175/55 r17 in the us will you let me know because I can only find it in the UK, Thanks.

Keep the rubber side down.
Signed
SOTC MM Prospect Jacob
Mobile,AL chapter

Old 02-23-2013, 02:42 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 838 Likes on 370 Posts

no lean angle. taking a very agile hd model and removing what it was built for.

but if you like it go for it. it just sounds dangerous when banked heavy in a turn or a fast set of chicanes

Old 02-23-2013, 07:49 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,349 Likes on 3,281 Posts

If you ride mostly Highway you would get a **** load of miles...worth it in my opinion...You are talking 30-50 thousand miles if only straight highway miles....

Old 02-23-2013, 09:28 AM
NSCoyote
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i would be game to try it but my dyna runs a 130 OEM, and i dont think i coudl find a tire with a 130 width to fit. oh well looks like michlin commander 2's LOL

Quick Reply: Darkside "car tire"