The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

HARLEY: SE Pro Super Tuner AND V&H FuelPak

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Hossie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE Pro Super Tuner AND V&H FuelPak

So i just recently decided to take the bike up to the dealer and purchase the SE Pro Super Tuner (PN 32109-08C) to replace my V&H FuelPak as i hated the way the bike ran with it on there (12 Ultra classic 103" with Big sucker, Rinehart true duals full exhaust no cat). So i pick the bike up and they give me the SE tuner and i ask wheres the Fuelpak? To which i get "not sure"...... While they are fumbling around inside i took the liberty of pulling the seat and there it is still hooked up to the ECM.
How is this possible? Can you even tune a bike the with fuelpak on it? I was charged 4 hours of dyno time but got no printout because "the printer cable is broken"....dead serious thats what they told me. When i asked why is the Fuelpak still hooked up i was told that using ther HD tuner it would "blank it out like its not even there so its fine".
SO i take the bike home (about 15 miles from the dealer) and immediately notice the oil pressure is way up at idle from where it used to be. Bike now idles (even after warm up) at 1k and is running real hot (Temp on oil gauge shows 258). In all fairness i was running it out and getting in it pretty good to see and it definitely has a very noticeable difference from where it was before. Runs out much better in low RPM to mid. SO super happy about that but i feel like i have been had on the tune with the Fuelpak hooked up...or maybe its just me?

What are yalls thoughts.

Old 05-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Oz Nightrain
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Oh man, that takes me back. I had exactly the same scenario, but with a pc3 usb. Bike ran better at first then progressively got worse. My belief is the piggy back was fighting the flashed tune and lead to all sorts of codes being thrown. The best thing I did was pull that pc3 piece of crap out and throw it in the bin where it belongs. That's just my opinion, hopefully you don't run into the dramas I had, good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 05-14-2016, 06:32 AM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Is it the fp3 or the older fuel pack? I agree with oz, it should be removed

Old 05-14-2016, 11:16 AM
Hossie
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Older fuelpak but the newer LCD version. Not FP3

Old 05-14-2016, 01:49 PM
Wide Open Cycles
Former Sponsor
Received 207 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossie
Older fuelpak but the newer LCD version. Not FP3
Id needs to be removed and the bike needs re-tuned then.

Old 06-15-2016, 11:02 PM
blackscootersociety
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

what ever happened with this??

I was under the impression the FP modifies the sensor inputs to trick the ECM to boost all your tables with assumed values... and being that its typically installed under the seat, and the data connector is under the LS cover I could kinda see how it got missed. Prolly more of the service writers fault for not conveying to the tech to remove the fuelpak. Or maybe he did and the tech didn't read the RO. Wonder what he thought when he looked at your original maps? Wonder if he did even look at the originals?

Hopefully you got it worked out without any issue and all involved can chalk it all up to a "whoops"

I'm a mechanic for living (not on bikes) and I can tell you, that things change when your working against the clock. Lots of mechanics don't make it in shops these days because they can't keep up with standard repair times. I can easily picture him plugging in, getting VE's, adjusting fuel blocks, maybe timing, and signing off on the RO without even seeing or knowing the FP was in there. Like I said, hopefully it all worked out.