The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

THUNDERMAX: Pathetic Fuel Economy - T-Max Experts HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 12:45 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz
No not really.. We both know how to pick maps.. For me the important parts are basically a stage 2 96.. Any cam that is within a few degrees of what you want will work.. Not sure who told you you could get away with the cam change and let the Tmax do it's thing but they are wrong when the cam change is drastic with stock to a 555.. Way different cams..
Actually, I think it was Mayor or rbabos or one of those other guys over there...seems it was one of the guys who is known for their expertise on these T-Max units, anyway...
I've been running it for quite awhile with this map. Hope I didn't hurt anything. Think I'm going to give #894 a go. Thanks for your input. I'll come back here with an update on how it goes.

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 07-26-2016 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:33 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,257 Likes on 3,628 Posts

So did the 894 map work out for you?

Old 07-28-2016, 10:04 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Not quite there yet. Q1SVT is really putting me through the ringer over there and leading me through this in steps to try and find where the problem lies, but also to try and teach me something and give me some better knowledge of the T-Max unit. For the time being, he had me copy and paste the AFRvsTPS tables from a different "stock" map (#846) to try and get my MPG back up and had me put some additive in my tank to try and clean and lube the fuel components. After it auto tunes and I see some MPG improvement, it'll be time for a new map...apparently. LOL

Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Not quite there yet. Q1SVT is really putting me through the ringer over there and leading me through this in steps to try and find where the problem lies, but also to try and teach me something and give me some better knowledge of the T-Max unit. For the time being, he had me copy and paste the AFRvsTPS tables from a different "stock" map (#846) to try and get my MPG back up and had me put some additive in my tank to try and clean and lube the fuel components. After it auto tunes and I see some MPG improvement, it'll be time for a new map...apparently. LOL
So you didn't do the timing tables also? I would have started with 846, run it, auto tuned after a couple hundred miles and looked at what the results were. I guess q1svt doesn't understand the importance of getting the ignition timing close first.. It makes a big difference on the quality of the sniffed exhaust.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:20 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Haven't messed with the timing yet?

Old 08-25-2016, 07:39 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by bwoltz
Haven't messed with the timing yet?
Are you not on HTT anymore?

There is an 8-page thread on the process we are going thru over THERE, but if the above is all you want to know then, no, we have not gotten as far as timing yet...

Old 08-25-2016, 08:42 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Are you not on HTT anymore?

There is an 8-page thread on the process we are going thru over THERE, but if the above is all you want to know then, no, we have not gotten as far as timing yet...
Timing is what you should be doing first even before messing with any of the AFR.. It has a huge effect on how the O2 sensors sample.. Look at your plugs,, They are rich but you sensors are lean.. I suspect a big portion of your fuel is burning in the exhaust pipe.. Not conducive for great gas mileage.

I been watching over there but don't post..

Old 08-25-2016, 10:55 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Why not give your input over there, or PM q1 and tell him? Sounds like he respects you and would listen to your opinion...

BTW, my sensors are usually pretty black, but are much lighter after running the fuel additive. Pretty sure that's what's going on because the front sensor is still black on the bottom portion...no?

This is one of the reasons I am giving serious consideration to just converting over to a carb. The analog concept is simpler, and easier for me to grasp and there aren't a million opinions coming at me from all directions on the way to do things, when I ask for help with it. As a digital medium, I would think EFI would be a more exact science with less contradiction from practitioners on how to dial in each respective tuner. q1 was the first to step up and show his willingness guide me thru the process, however, so I'm following his instruction, for now...

Last edited by HoggyMtnBreakdown; 08-25-2016 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:43 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Q1 has the com..

Old 08-26-2016, 09:39 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

Okay, b. You got me curious. Here is a snapshot of all my relevant (I think) ignition timing tables. Some of these were modified by rbabos to get rid of some decel pop back when I first put my V&H BR2-2s back in 2009, I believe, but I have no idea what he did. Take a look and tell me what you think...

Quick Reply: THUNDERMAX: Pathetic Fuel Economy - T-Max Experts HELP!