The Dyno Room A special room dedicated for Dyno tuning products, troubleshooting and results. All Gearheads and Dyno Operators are welcome here as well as the guys that are new to tuning. Please see the special rules for this section before posting.

Other Devices: (I made a) Tool for tracking FP3 auto tune sessions

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 09:52 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
Default (I made a) Tool for tracking FP3 auto tune sessions

Good morning all!

First a disclaimer - I'm a new FP3 owner, and a complete noob at tuning. I've read a bunch on here and elsewhere, but have a LOT to learn. I just started running autotune sessions for the first time, and wanted a way to track my results (relatively) easily from one session to the next. So I put this spreadsheet together. I thought it might be useful to others, so I'm posting it here.

Instructions are on the first page, hopefully self explanatory. Basically enter your individual session data cell by cell, by entering either '1' or '2' in each cell you hit, on each individual session page. The monitor page will aggregate the data to give you an overall view of your auto tune so far. Whole number values in cells on the monitor page show a count of '2 cylinder' hits, and tenths show a count of '1 cylinder' hits.

If anyone sees errors/omissions/problems with how I've set this up, please let me know.

I've attached a couple of PDF screenshots of examples with data entered, a copy of the sheet in excel format (this may or may not retain cell protections or all formatting in excel - it doesn't in LibreOffice, but appears to still function properly) and a link to a shared version on my google drive. If you make edits on the one on google drive, they will likely be viewable or modifiable by others - so you probably ought to make your own copy (I'm a noob at sharing stuff from google docs too).

Any commentary or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Dan

Link to GDocs file: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Last edited by dandrumheller; 04-30-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Old 04-30-2017, 09:59 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master
Default excel version

Sorry, attachment of excel version didn't seem to work. Here's a link to the excel file in my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gknukpk5k2...ller.xlsx?dl=0

Old 04-30-2017, 11:14 AM
FLTRI17
Stellar HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 418 Posts

IMO and experience, you may want to learn and use the tools as described by the manual FIRST.
This way, as a noob, you will spend your time learning how the software works and how tuning works.
Then, after you have got comfy with the procedures and using tables to better the running, go after designing evaluation software but you have enough on your plate just getting good results from what you have already.
JMO,
Bob

Old 04-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior
Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

I used to simply take a picture of the hits screen at the end of each session ...but that was purely for interest or sort of keeping track of where you thought you were.

I say sort of ...it's the same with the Power Vision I am trying to use now to be honest but quite frankly, you never get the same data a second time anyway so it's more about good data and plenty of it, than thinking because you hit a cell that's it done.

An autotune run can only change a cell by about 15% (I think it was) so you will need to tune the same cell at least twice to be sure you are getting close.

Anyways, V&H are frantically working on some logging and the ability to compare maps (and autotune runs) so that should help a lot.

BTW, V&H were just saying that they have nearly finished their own autotune guide so keep an eye out for it's release

Old 04-30-2017, 03:48 PM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLTRI17
IMO and experience, you may want to learn and use the tools as described by the manual FIRST.
This way, as a noob, you will spend your time learning how the software works and how tuning works.
Then, after you have got comfy with the procedures and using tables to better the running, go after designing evaluation software but you have enough on your plate just getting good results from what you have already.
JMO,
Bob
Thanks for the feedback Bob. From what I've found, there really isn't much of a 'manual' for the FP3, as far as what constitutes a more or less complete auto tune. That said, here's what I think I've learned so far, based on what I've read (and from what I've seen posted, the TTS Mastertune manual is generally considered the most complete guide?? - I've looked through it, but not in depth):

1) In autotune, the FP3 takes the base map, sets all the AFR numbers to a fixed value, puts the whole system in closed loop, then looks at the O2 sensors to compare actual exhaust values to what it currently has in the base tune for VE values. It then makes an adjustment, up to 15% maximum change, per autotune session.

2) VEs are generally considered 'in' tune when subsequent reads/runs indicate less than something between 2% and 5% (depending on which source I'm looking at) is required. Except that the FP3 doesn't display the actual value or amount of change for the VE table for each autotune run? At any rate, the seeming consensus is that 3 autotune/apply cycles on a given cell is likely to put it within that 5% of 'ideal' range?

3) I didn't really intend for this 'tool' to be used to optimize the tune itself. Seems that many FP3 users take screenshots of their autotune runs (which I started doing immediately, having read that before purchase). Since the FP3 'resets' the autotune chart after every 'apply', It was annoying to me to try to compare screenshots side by side on my phone, so I built this spreadsheet to be able to enter them individually, with the intent of the 'monitor' page to essentially overlay the screenshots, and tell me how may times I've 'hit' a given cell. This seems consistent with what Gordon mentions below, about hitting a cell more than once being important in getting a better autotune.

Originally Posted by Gordon61
I used to simply take a picture of the hits screen at the end of each session ...but that was purely for interest or sort of keeping track of where you thought you were.

I say sort of ...it's the same with the Power Vision I am trying to use now to be honest but quite frankly, you never get the same data a second time anyway so it's more about good data and plenty of it, than thinking because you hit a cell that's it done.

An autotune run can only change a cell by about 15% (I think it was) so you will need to tune the same cell at least twice to be sure you are getting close.

Anyways, V&H are frantically working on some logging and the aorate bility to compare maps (and autotune runs) so that should help a lot.

BTW, V&H were just saying that they have nearly finished their own autotune guide so keep an eye out for it's release
Gordon, can you elaborate on your point about 'not getting the same data every time'?

As I mentioned above, I was aware of the 15% maximum change per autotune session (or per apply, I guess?), and the need to hit cells at least a couple (seems like I've read somewhere that 3 hits was likely to get darn close?). That's really why I built the sheet - it allows me to enter my individual runs (based on taking a screenshot before applying) then quickly seeing which cells I've hit, and how many times I've hit it. It's not so much about evaluating the data itself, but tracking how much data i've accumulated in an easy to see way.

Thanks for the info regarding V&H upcoming features and guide - that's good to know. I've seen mention that some new features were coming but didn't know it was that big an update. Cool!

Thanks again guys...

Dan

Old 05-05-2017, 12:27 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

What I meant was simply that go out on a different day and do another autotune or take another log, and the numbers will be different. And if that change is less than 3% then you are lucky.

If you are hoping to get smooth VE tables, or fiddle with CDE to try to smooth them ...one cell going up and it's adjacent cell going down between logs/tunes really starts to pee you off eventually.

If you are looking for absolutes in this game ...there aren't any ...at least not with my bike and/or the tools I have

Last edited by Gordon61; 05-06-2017 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:04 AM
dandrumheller
Road Master

Originally Posted by Gordon61
What I meant was simply that go out on a different day and do another autotune or take another log, and the numbers will be different. And if that change is less than 3% then you are lucky.

If you are hoping to get smooth VE tables, or fiddle with CDE to try to smooth them ...one call going up and it's adjacent cell going down between logs/tunes really starts to pee you off eventually.

If you are looking for absolutes in this game ...there aren't any ...at least not with my bike and/or the tools I have
Gotcha, thanks Gordon. I guess what that tells me is that there are at least a few (maybe a bunch) of variables that aren't being either accounted for or accurately, repeatably measured. i do tend to be somewhat **** about numbers, so thank you for the advice ahead of time to not expect excellent repeatability. I do have to deal with similar circumstances at work (part of my job includes calibrating and configuring recipes for asphalt plants) so I'll try to apply my patience for unknown variables to this too.

I haven't developed enough data yet to even start to evaluate it's quality or repeatability - just looking at quantity and areas where I can, but haven't yet, acquired any data - for me specifically this is pretty much everything over 3k RPM right now.

Really enjoying some of the technical discussions over here, even though I don't understand most of it. yet.

Dan

Edit: as I sit here with rain pouring down outside, thinking about this, I should probably add VE tables to the spreadsheet, shouldn't I. Then I could track actual VE changes and % change (at the expense of a few more screen shots and a bunch of data entry). Do you know if changed VE values are reported/displayed in the tables in the FP3 after every 'apply' of autotune sessions, or if I have to finish/flash to see the updated tables? I wasn't even with-it enough to look at them since initially flashing the canned map. Of course this is what V&H promise is coming, so i'm doing something that will be superseded soon. Maybe more effort than it's worth?

Last edited by dandrumheller; 05-06-2017 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:23 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Subscribed
Interesting info

Old 05-06-2017, 02:31 PM
Gordon61
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dandrumheller
I should probably add VE tables to the spreadsheet, shouldn't I.
Changes to VE is something that is coming.

But yea, I kept a spreadsheet of each autotune, the difference from last time, the difference between front vs rear etc etc.

Mind you, if you over analyse those numbers you will get really fed up watching the VE go up one day, only to go down the next

Old 05-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Jeckel
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just take screen shots to compare auto tunes. I am also still trying to figure out what gets changed after running auto tune. I have compared VE tables before and after and they are identical. It is probably an ID Ten T error in my case, lol.

Quick Reply: Other Devices: (I made a) Tool for tracking FP3 auto tune sessions