Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   "The Florida Crew" (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew-127/)
-   -   OT Sunpass Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-florida-crew/1073867-ot-sunpass-question.html)

Lilman 09-29-2015 06:15 AM

OT Sunpass Question

You guys who use a Sunpass regularly where do you put it?

Mine is the one with 2 suction cups that I move between vehicles when traveling to FL.

Never needed it on a bike but this year with Daytona, Key West and Panama City in one 2 week trip, I probably will.

Will it work while inside the tour pack (lid pocket) or do I need to stick it on the windshield? If so, I need to come up with some kind of lanyard to keep from losing the thing!

Thanks!

Lilman

uklauren 09-29-2015 06:56 AM

Go on the Sunpass website, register online if you haven't already, add all your vehicles to the same Sunpass gizmo number. You can temporarily add other vehicles like rental cars or friends and family who are visiting and then remove them, and change vehicles very quickly.

Tuck your Sunpass away in a drawer and forget about it. Two main advantages are that you never have to remember to move the Sunpass between vehicles or accidentally leave it at home, and quite frequently you don't get billed (especially the motorcycle).

Lilman 09-29-2015 08:26 AM

Thanks, I already have all my vehicles listed (including bike) as I am in Florida several times a year for work.

Are you saying it will just bill to the transponder via the license plate number?

If that's what you're saying, good to know! It would have been good to know that 3 years ago as I keep moving the thing between vehicles depending on what I need for work!

Joe_G 09-29-2015 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by uklauren (Post 14437634)
Go on the Sunpass website, register online if you haven't already, add all your vehicles to the same Sunpass gizmo number. You can temporarily add other vehicles like rental cars or friends and family who are visiting and then remove them, and change vehicles very quickly.

Tuck your Sunpass away in a drawer and forget about it. Two main advantages are that you never have to remember to move the Sunpass between vehicles or accidentally leave it at home, and quite frequently you don't get billed (especially the motorcycle).

This is precisely what I do as well. I have one Sunpass and all my vehicles on that account, including my scooter and it works great. I don't need to use the sunpass at all, it reads the plate and I get charged the sunpass rate.

You have to watch the bill however, contrary to getting a freebie, I often use the express lanes on i95 which cost between $.50 and $12....they nailed me for a $10.50 charge one time on my hybrid. I had to call, they reversed the charges.

Also, for those that don't know, and are willing to take their life in their hands, motorcycles are FREE in the i95 express lanes in Miami.

http://www.95express.com/faq/who-pays-who-doesn-t

Its time to ride 09-29-2015 10:28 AM

I do have the Sunpass in one of my cars, not sure if its mine or my wife's, but I haven't moved it in months. I have never put it on the bike, just registered the plate.

Lilman 09-29-2015 01:11 PM

Thanks for the info folks!

Ycbrewster 09-30-2015 04:53 PM

Thanks Lauren. I've been curious if having the transponder was required to get the Sunpass rate, or if they went by License Plate would they bill it out separately. This is good to know. Now I'm going to just leave it at home...my suction cup is always coming loose.

uklauren 09-30-2015 05:33 PM

Yvonne make sure your vehicles are registered to the transponder. You can do it online on the Sunpass site

Ycbrewster 09-30-2015 06:27 PM

We have a car and three bikes registered to it, but always carry the transponder. The site states you cannot even use it on an unregistered vehicle. Glad to know it is not necessary to physically have the transponder though. I couldn't find anywhere on the site to state this, but I thought I had heard from others' experiences that this was the case. I feel better at the thought of not carrying it on the bikes.

Lilman 10-01-2015 04:49 AM

I agree Ycbrewster. There has been more than 1 thought about the transponder suction cups coming loose and the thing flying off!

Now I know I can just leave it home!