"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

OT Sunpass Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 06:15 AM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default OT Sunpass Question

You guys who use a Sunpass regularly where do you put it?

Mine is the one with 2 suction cups that I move between vehicles when traveling to FL.

Never needed it on a bike but this year with Daytona, Key West and Panama City in one 2 week trip, I probably will.

Will it work while inside the tour pack (lid pocket) or do I need to stick it on the windshield? If so, I need to come up with some kind of lanyard to keep from losing the thing!

Thanks!

Lilman

Old 09-29-2015, 06:56 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Go on the Sunpass website, register online if you haven't already, add all your vehicles to the same Sunpass gizmo number. You can temporarily add other vehicles like rental cars or friends and family who are visiting and then remove them, and change vehicles very quickly.

Tuck your Sunpass away in a drawer and forget about it. Two main advantages are that you never have to remember to move the Sunpass between vehicles or accidentally leave it at home, and quite frequently you don't get billed (especially the motorcycle).

Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

Thanks, I already have all my vehicles listed (including bike) as I am in Florida several times a year for work.

Are you saying it will just bill to the transponder via the license plate number?

If that's what you're saying, good to know! It would have been good to know that 3 years ago as I keep moving the thing between vehicles depending on what I need for work!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by uklauren
Go on the Sunpass website, register online if you haven't already, add all your vehicles to the same Sunpass gizmo number. You can temporarily add other vehicles like rental cars or friends and family who are visiting and then remove them, and change vehicles very quickly.

Tuck your Sunpass away in a drawer and forget about it. Two main advantages are that you never have to remember to move the Sunpass between vehicles or accidentally leave it at home, and quite frequently you don't get billed (especially the motorcycle).
This is precisely what I do as well. I have one Sunpass and all my vehicles on that account, including my scooter and it works great. I don't need to use the sunpass at all, it reads the plate and I get charged the sunpass rate.

You have to watch the bill however, contrary to getting a freebie, I often use the express lanes on i95 which cost between $.50 and $12....they nailed me for a $10.50 charge one time on my hybrid. I had to call, they reversed the charges.

Also, for those that don't know, and are willing to take their life in their hands, motorcycles are FREE in the i95 express lanes in Miami.

http://www.95express.com/faq/who-pays-who-doesn-t

Old 09-29-2015, 10:28 AM
Its time to ride
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I do have the Sunpass in one of my cars, not sure if its mine or my wife's, but I haven't moved it in months. I have never put it on the bike, just registered the plate.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:11 PM
Lilman
Road Captain

Thanks for the info folks!

Old 09-30-2015, 04:53 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Thanks Lauren. I've been curious if having the transponder was required to get the Sunpass rate, or if they went by License Plate would they bill it out separately. This is good to know. Now I'm going to just leave it at home...my suction cup is always coming loose.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Yvonne make sure your vehicles are registered to the transponder. You can do it online on the Sunpass site

Old 09-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

We have a car and three bikes registered to it, but always carry the transponder. The site states you cannot even use it on an unregistered vehicle. Glad to know it is not necessary to physically have the transponder though. I couldn't find anywhere on the site to state this, but I thought I had heard from others' experiences that this was the case. I feel better at the thought of not carrying it on the bikes.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:49 AM
Lilman
Road Captain

I agree Ycbrewster. There has been more than 1 thought about the transponder suction cups coming loose and the thing flying off!

Now I know I can just leave it home!

Quick Reply: OT Sunpass Question