"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

OT Sunpass Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 05:50 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I forgot to respond to how this played out. Both plates showed up on my account. One read via the transponder with the Sunpass rate, the other bike read via the plate with the bill-by-plate rate. I did NOT get a snail mail on this...both showed via online against my account. So there's the answer. As long as the bike/plate is registered to your account, if you go through without the transponder, it will just bill at the bill-by-plate rate instead of the Sunpass rate, against your account. No separate snail mail billing.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:04 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

I forgot to respond to how this played out. Both plates showed up on my account. One read via the transponder with the Sunpass rate, the other bike read via the plate with the bill-by-plate rate. I did NOT get a snail mail on this...both showed via online against my account. So there's the answer. As long as the bike/plate is registered to your account, if you go through without the transponder, it will just bill at the bill-by-plate rate instead of the Sunpass rate, against your account. No separate snail mail billing.

Old 12-06-2015, 06:13 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

Great info Yvonne, I never checked the rate. What is the difference in rate?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:14 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ycbrewster
As long as the bike/plate is registered to your account, if you go through without the transponder, it will just bill at the bill-by-plate rate instead of the Sunpass rate, against your account. No separate snail mail billing.
...so if you don't have a transponder on the bike, how much more is the billing rate?

Old 12-06-2015, 06:58 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

I've been calling it a bill-by-plate, but they're actually calling it a toll-by-plate. I'm glad you guys made me review it again. It looks like I DID get the Sunpass rate on both plates. I was thrown because one plate was billed at two spots and the other plate was billed at three spots, so it looks like they missed one of the billings, hence the price difference. Since we traveled together though, technically the transponder was with us...hmm...guess I'll have to do a test without the transponder to see which rate I actually get when I don't have the transponder. The different rates are always posted on each highway. I know the Sunpass rate on Sawgrass at the Southbound Sunrise exit 1 is 1.06, but the toll-by-plate rate is 1.32.

Last edited by Ycbrewster; 12-06-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:02 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Yvonne thanks for that follow up, it's great to know that we are indeed getting the Sunpass rate. I thought we were getting the rate if we had the pass and good of you to confirm for us.

Btw i95 express lanes are free for motorcycles if you dare.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

It also looks as if a SunPass Account and a Toll-by-Plate account (which comes with an administration fee) are two different accounts...so far I have only been billed on a Sunpass account...I have never gotten a Toll-by-Plate billing in the mail. But the only time I ever used it without the transponder is the time Lauren and I rode together on both of my bikes...so I'm not sure if it read the transponder for just one bike or both....

Old 12-06-2015, 07:15 PM
Ycbrewster
Road Captain

I think Lauren maybe right, as long as the vehicle/bike is registered, you'll get the Sunpass rate-with or without the transponder.
I'm going to test it next weekend by going to Chester's WITHOUT my transponder and see how I get billed.

Last edited by Ycbrewster; 12-06-2015 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:22 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I just logged into my account and noticed that I also got the same Sunpass rate in my car as on my bike where I don't have a Sunpass but have registered it. So we are good to go.

Old 12-06-2015, 07:25 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Yeh I figured it was the Transponder rate whether you have the gizmo with you or not, as long as your tags are all registered. I have not used my Sunpass for a long while, it lives in my garage because it was always falling off my car windshield.

Quick Reply: OT Sunpass Question