"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

ALMOST Lost It This Morning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 07:00 AM
wilburz
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

pumping the break is prolly not a good idea. a constant push with both should work.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Big Vic
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're ok, Bill.

I learn something just about everytime I ride. I just hope I never learn something the hard way.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Here he goes again!

Glad you are OK Bill, Cheap lesson.

I find yellow lights a great place to practice aggressive braking. Had a great chance on Hwy 60 east of Bartow at Rifle Range Rd a couple weeks ago to squeeeeeeze that front brake aggressively at highway speed without skidding.

As has already been said, you need to use your front brake for stopping and the rear brake to control or stabilize the bike. Depending on experience the front brake provides 70-80% of your stopping power. If you use the rear brake most often then you will hit it first in an aggressive braking situation. Practice using the front brake and squeeeeeeze it for braking.

If you do lock the rear brake stay in it until you are stopped. Letting it go will cause you to High Side the bike and that hurts.

If you lock the front brake get out of it and then squeeeeeeze it again.

Practice, Practice, Practice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2keWo5R6_Q

Sorry for the parent lecture. As many already know and you will learn I can't help myself.

Enjoy the Ride -- Stay Safe

Old 08-12-2010, 01:14 PM
Araba Shriner
Road Master

+1 on the front brake usage / Great video Jeff, thanks for posting.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:53 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was taught to ALWAYS use BOTH brakes (as stated above) the front provides 70% of the stopping power. The ONLY time I use rear alone is when I manuvure around a parking lot as you DO NOT want to use the front brake when the wheel is turned. (I learned the hard way).You should always try to staighten the bike up when braking any way.

Glad it turned out well.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:54 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff thanks for the Parental Lesson / video. You always seem to find JUST the right stuff for me when I do the stuff I do and live to tell about it!
The more I ride the more I learn about what I can and can't, should, or should not do on my bike.
Up until yesterday I guess I was just lucky with how I've been braking. Didn't ride today mainly because of all the rain today - (ONLY excuse I have that sounded viable).
Having my pipes swapped out on Saturday, so will start 'practicing' with front brakes to and from the shop. BTW, they're installing the pipes for free for me!

Old 08-12-2010, 06:15 PM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bhidalgo
Jeff thanks for the Parental Lesson / video. You always seem to find JUST the right stuff for me when I do the stuff I do and live to tell about it!
The more I ride the more I learn about what I can and can't, should, or should not do on my bike.
Up until yesterday I guess I was just lucky with how I've been braking. Didn't ride today mainly because of all the rain today - (ONLY excuse I have that sounded viable).
Having my pipes swapped out on Saturday, so will start 'practicing' with front brakes to and from the shop. BTW, they're installing the pipes for free for me!
What I learned in class was the reason to use both all the time is you will do what you are used to in an emergency situation. So if you only use your rear brakes and something happens, your reflex will be to only user the rear brake, and only 30% of your bike's stoppng capability.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:38 PM
Bznitch
Road Master

The little buell I had in the class had odd foot peg/break positions, so I kept getting yelled at for riding the back break (as that is taught in advanced class but frowned on in beginners). After that I ended up no longer using the back at all

Old 08-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Mebeebo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Just Dave
Wow, glad you saved it Bill, rethink your braking habits and use the front and the back...I use the front slightly more than the back nowadays, I rode for 30 years + hardly ever using the front until I took the Advanced riding course and the teacher was on on my *** about it all day. Locking the rear an be fun as long as you know what to expect and just chalk this up to another milestone in training. You will not freak out next time it happens since you know what to expect know and you might even come to enjoy a controlled slide from time to time. These bikes don't stop worth a dam anyway. That's one thing I wish Harley would improve upon. I road a shadow not to long ago and about threw myself over the handlebars the first time I got on the brakes, I was like wow, This thing actually stops when you tell it to. Happy Trails.
I agree Dave, I do not understand how in the world they do not improve them. One of the most important safety feature of a bike IMHO.

Old 08-12-2010, 10:09 PM
OldSalt
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got chewed out ALOT in class for using my front brakes most of the time. Guess that's part of the reason why I've shy'd away from using them much.
Now is just as good a time as any to break a bad habit before it's too late.
I'm just thankful I didn't end up getting thrown.
Thanks for everyone's 2, 4, and 6 bits on all this.

Quick Reply: ALMOST Lost It This Morning!