"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Getting my daughter started riding? (10 years old)

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:49 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Getting my daughter started riding? (10 years old)

My daughter Haylie loves riding with me. I'm sure she'll want her own HD as soon as she's 16. Actually I think she's already claimed the street bob. Regardless that's 6 years from now so we have a lot of growing to do.

Haylie is taller than the typical 10 y/o girl at already 5'. I mention that because I'm looking for help on where to start. My thoughts are to get her onto a small dirt bike. But what size for someone who's 5'? Also where are there safe places to ride/teach? One of my concerns about a dirt bike is that as she grows on it i will not be able to bue with her as im not ridding next to her. A track or safe dirt bike riding group would be great.

Thoughts? I'm open to all my crew brothers and sisters opinions and help.

Thanks
Reese & Brandy

Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
dedjr67
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reese look at the Yamaha PW 90. It is a good starter bike that you can limit the throttle on.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:18 AM
throttlejunkie
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sportster.. that's a girls bike, isn't it ??
bwahahahahahaha

just kidding, take it easy..

i agree w Dennis. small 4 stroke dirt bike. a good used one should be pretty cheap, so as she gets into it or grows you can just sell it and get her a bigger one.

btw, good looking kid Reese..

Old 01-16-2011, 07:51 AM
dedjr67
Road Master

Honda also makes some nice smaller displacement trail bikes that work very well for beginners.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:12 AM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

At 10 my first motorized wheels was a Rupp minibike. If I had a real cycle I would have probably hurt myself even more. Twist the throttle, or grab the brake, steer and keep balanced was enough of a challenge when starting out for me in the 60s.

At that age skills of correct balance and controlling the bike are just being learned. You have to match her abilities to handle and control the size machine she starts with. She has limited skill's to all functions and need the chance to safely learn by doing, learn by mistake, and still be safe.

For me knee pads saved a lot of injuries. The correct gear can mean a lot.

And Dad, Consider getting a "puddle jumper" too and share the riding experience with her. Take her to trails and show her the road is not the only wide open spaces that you can enjoy on two wheels and be beside her while shes learning, and along side her to share the thrills again for yourself.

I admire your desire, your approach, and it's heart warming.

Thanks for sharing this. Made me think back to those "good old days", and wishing I had a rug rat in my life to relive those moments of watching your kids grow.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:24 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Started my son on Honda XR100 - bike was pretty indestructable. Like dirt bikes for beginners because there'll be lots of learning falls. Good luck & have fun.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:35 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I was 9 when I got my first bike, it was a Honda MR50, I do not think I was 5' tall yet though. It fit me fine but I outgrew it quickly and moved up to an xr-75 pretty fast. I know this is not relavent to your question but I just took a trip down memory lane for which I thank you.

I would just go by the dealers and see how much bike she can flat foot and go from there, like Dave said there are lots of great four stroke dirt bikes out there that would be great to start out on. Some of them even have automatic clutches or transmission's in them taking a little of the worry out of learning. I see small ones on Craigs list all the time in the 500 to 1000 dollar range for nearly new one's. I would at least go for a 70 to a 100 if she is that tall already. Girl is lucky to have such great parents. Here is a pick of the MR-50.

Old 01-16-2011, 09:00 AM
mechmatt
Tourer

+1 on the Hondas. The xr100 and 200 are good bikes

Old 01-16-2011, 12:42 PM
dave sg11
Novice

Nice!

Old 01-16-2011, 04:31 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

I would save your money and invest in guns, big ones, you will have problems, big ones in a few years. BOY's, they respond to violence only, not threats not reason, just pain.

Get her a RM 125. Thats what I rode at 10, only broke 4 bones , lucikly no damage to my my face that would affect my good looks.

Quick Reply: Getting my daughter started riding? (10 years old)