"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Fletcher's HD in Clearwater is Closing...

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 09:46 AM
Lucero1
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fletcher's HD in Clearwater is Closing...

Wow. I bought my first HD from them...

Clearwater, Florida (07/11/2012) - Fletcher's Harley-Davidson, Clearwater, Florida announced today that it will close its store after 48 years in business. Co-owners, Laura Fletcher, Peggy McFarland, and Sherry Conder, say "they would like ......to thank their loyal employees and customers for the best years of their lives while operating Fletcher's Harley-Davidson."

Leaving the Harley-Davidson family has been a tough decision as many of our employees and customers are considered extended family members. In light of recent events with the passing of our father, Bob Fletcher, we feel that it is time for us to follow his outlook on life and "Live Life to the Fullest" says Laura Fletcher, President and General Manager, Fletcher's Harley-Davidson.

Fletcher's Harley-Davidson opened in 1964. It was founded by Bob Fletcher and currently is owned and operated by his three daughters, who say they are ready to explore new adventures and opportunities.

"We look forward to sharing the open road with our customers and wish them many good rides in the future. We have enjoyed being a part of the Harley-Davidson family for the last 48 years and will continue to be Harley-Davidson enthusiasts" said Peggy McFarland, Vice President, Fletcher's Harley-Davidson.

Fletcher's Harley-Davidson will cease operating as a Harley-Davidson dealership on July 31, 2012 and encourages its customers to visit one of the neighboring dealerships for their motorcycling needs.

Old 07-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

"Live Life to the Fullest"

In other words..."we are gonna take the money and run".

Old 07-11-2012, 11:38 AM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How sad.
Bob Fletcher and my Dad opened their busuiness' next door to one another in 1964, on Missouri Ave in Clearwater. Mr Fletcher opened Fletcher's H/D, my Dad opened the Whataburger.
I started hanging out at that shop when I was about 12 - The repair shop was under a shed roof in the back, and open on the sides. NO A/C.
Bought my first bike there when I turned 14.
RIP Bob Fletcher - RIP Big Red Large

Last edited by mllgator; 07-11-2012 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:39 AM
SoFla
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Just Dave
"Live Life to the Fullest"

In other words..."we are gonna take the money and run".
I'm guessing it's more like business is bad. Otherwise the story would be Fletcher's HD changes hands. Not just closing up shop.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Sorry to hear it anyway whatever the reason for closing, bought my first Sportster there in 1970 ..

Old 07-11-2012, 09:37 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I think it is very sad. You don't tell your employees the night prior then email blitz at 4am in the morning to the public. I spoke with many of my friends who work there...they are shocked and pissed. How bout trying to sell it.....how bout something.your putting alot of people out of work and IMO it was just the wrong way to do something like this.
I feel like family whenever I am there.....thank god I know my mechanic's # from fletchers and will KIT.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:53 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Dont know the dealership but sad no matter which way you look at it.

Old 07-12-2012, 09:12 PM
tourglider
Tourer

Damn! No where am I gonna stop for my free slushie after a long hot ride? I have "known" Art in the parts section since he was service manager at Jim's almost 20 years ago. I hope he has somewhere to go.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:28 AM
FLHProadkill
Tourer

Best parts department I have ever had. Everyone was great and I'll miss all the help.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Greg MacD
Novice

Sad, I always liked Fletchers, I lived up in NPR near Gulf Coast but would travel down to Clearwater because I enjoyed dealing with a family owned business....it seems like the daughters waited just long enough for Bob to pass and they they punched to clock......I wonder why they are not going to try and sell the dealership?

Quick Reply: Fletcher's HD in Clearwater is Closing...