"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

GoPro accessories,,,newbie w/questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Wade91
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GoPro accessories,,,newbie w/questions

Getting ready to purchase the camera

What accessories should I buy that don't come with the camera?
This is going to be for my ride on the BRP the first weekend of October.
Will be filming from high, low, chest, and whatever else I can think of.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:07 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I'm Your Guy...

Originally Posted by Wade91
Getting ready to purchase the camera

What accessories should I buy that don't come with the camera?
This is going to be for my ride on the BRP the first weekend of October.
Will be filming from high, low, chest, and whatever else I can think of.
Wade,
First, get the Hero2, nothing less. 2nd, get the battery backpack (I have 2) and LOTS of spare batteries (I have 6). The Chesty mount is good if your bike has no fairing. Otherwise, the helmet is the most vibration-free mounting spot. ALSO: The onboard audio SUCKS, so think about an external mic. To use one, you'll want to get a "skeleton housing", the sides are open, so you can hook up your mic. It also keeps your cam cooler, they get hot in the watertight case. And LOTS of SD cards (class 10). Oh, and the skeleton housing also allows you to change the SD card without taking the cam from the housing.
For mounting on the bike, I use RAM mounts on the handlebars and on the crashbar. I gotta get to work now, but PM me with all your GoPro questions. -Steevo-

Old 08-23-2012, 10:15 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just bought mine off amazon

got the motorsports eddition with a 32GB SD card and 2 extra batteries with charger

figure it's a good start

taking mine up to the gauntlet run we are doing next week

Old 08-23-2012, 10:52 AM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master
Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 AM
stevic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would also get the plug in LED display, it helps with aiming the camera.
Craig

Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM
mrjimbo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't matter where I've mounted mine, the vibration is VERY noticable. Works well for diving though, fits on my goodman handle next to my light. Have not tried it on my helmet, Steevo definitely has produced some great video, just not keen on the exhaust pipe mic....

Old 08-23-2012, 03:28 PM
Wade91
Tourer

Outstanding,,thank you very much. Yeah, was gonna get the Hero2. Planned on at least a 32gb card. Six batteries? Hmmm, something makes me think that one spare just isn't cut it. Have only seen one (will research more) HD vid, but it was from a Vrod and if memory serves me correct, they don't shake like a traditional HD does. I will look into all those accessories you mentioned as well as a tether so if mount fails I don't lose the camera.

I have purchased Roxio Creator 2012 Pro and will be using that for my editing. Thank you guys so much for the help and vids.

Old 08-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Wade91
Tourer

Steevo; went to the utube channel. I'll subscribe once I get back on home computer and off the laptop. Awesome vids sir!!! Can't wait to get all my gear. Did find a homemade mount on a gopro forum i joined. Using some magnets from Harbor freight and other gear, this guy created a neat set up.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Wade91
Tourer

Im just itching to buy the thing now and "practice" before 10-4-12 gets here. Love how the wind noise isn't to overwhelming. Is that due to external mic being placed somewhere better? These vid's got me ready to make movies.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:45 PM
GoPro Steevo
Road Master

Originally Posted by Wade91
Love how the wind noise isn't to overwhelming. Is that due to external mic being placed somewhere better?
Wade,
All my vids (until now) have utilized an external mic on the rear of my helmet. This is the custom mic that I made, using a GoPro quick-release camera mount.

This is how my GoPro looks on the helmet. Mounted in this spot, it's not only more aerodynamic, but I can actually see the red light blinking, so I know if it's recording or not.

Hey,
Just a few more quick things. In the above pic, this is NOT the skeleton housing. It was a stock housing with a hole drilled for the mic input. My skeleton housing was on order, but hadn't come in yet. Get one, it's worth the wait!. Also note that I marked the mic input with a red sharpie, so I won't get it confused with the tv output. Also, check out the other GoPro mounting pad down low on the front of the helmet. A cool camera angle, if your bike does not have a batwing fairing. Those stick-on quick-release mounting pads are very strong, you can put them anywhere. I have a row of them across the shelf over my workbench, for storing my spare mics and mounts.

Last edited by GoPro Steevo; 08-24-2012 at 07:46 AM.

Quick Reply: GoPro accessories,,,newbie w/questions