"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Witnessed Fatal Motorcycle crash in GA today

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Its always sad to hear stories like this. To the OP, you probably dont realize how much you being there for her friends helped.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-11-2013, 11:52 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks everybody for the supporting comments and for taking pause and thinking about how we ride.

I stayed on scene for a little-over three hours and had numerous discussions and supporting words for the group of riders who were personal friends. They were comforted to know that prayers were spoken and that there was nothing humanly possible to do with the trauma sustained by the rider. There were enough of us trained in First Aid/CPR, actually two nurses at one point, who just knew (from what was presented) that nothing could be done.

The professionals on scene (when they got there) spent less time that we rookies coming to the same conclusion.

Obviously nobody wakes up in the morning planning to have accident. Therefor we must proactively don our gear with hopes of it doing its job if necessary.

A good "sweep" in the back of the group may have interviened before things became a challenge for an inexperienced rider. Maybe a game of follow-the-leader at a slower pace may have put this rider in a different frame of mind, or taken away any sense that she needed to catch up. A good "Lead" may have better counted headlights to know quicker that someone was missing. In hindsight, those were a very long fifteen minutes before getting back to their friend. One of the group's biggest regrets that day.

Safe isn't accidental. Hugs to all my friends who read this.

Old 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM
speednut
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry you had to see that but I am glad you were there to help those people.I was on that road Sunday but in a car.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:15 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by PoorBoy
Thanks everybody for the supporting comments and for taking pause and thinking about how we ride.

I stayed on scene for a little-over three hours and had numerous discussions and supporting words for the group of riders who were personal friends. They were comforted to know that prayers were spoken and that there was nothing humanly possible to do with the trauma sustained by the rider. There were enough of us trained in First Aid/CPR, actually two nurses at one point, who just knew (from what was presented) that nothing could be done.

The professionals on scene (when they got there) spent less time that we rookies coming to the same conclusion.

Obviously nobody wakes up in the morning planning to have accident. Therefor we must proactively don our gear with hopes of it doing its job if necessary.

A good "sweep" in the back of the group may have interviened before things became a challenge for an inexperienced rider. Maybe a game of follow-the-leader at a slower pace may have put this rider in a different frame of mind, or taken away any sense that she needed to catch up. A good "Lead" may have better counted headlights to know quicker that someone was missing. In hindsight, those were a very long fifteen minutes before getting back to their friend. One of the group's biggest regrets that day.

Safe isn't accidental. Hugs to all my friends who read this.
You are right on the money with this comment.
I'm not blaming anyone but she obviously wasn't the caliber of the others and should never have been the last bike. the road captain should have put her in the middle of the pack and stated that the faster riders would always slow down after the twisties etc and wait for the others. that way there is no concern by the slower riders that they will loose the group. I've ridden this area behind a sport bike road captain and I'm the last guy. I always knew he would be waiting for the harley riders to catch up.
Too many riders don't even know what a road captain is and how to ride in a group. Every man/woman for himself/herself.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:35 PM
tourglider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you had to see that Paul. Good observations by all. Prayers for all those involved.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:43 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Best advice I ever heard givin while riding was from Jimbo (Redman), talking to Steve (SoFla) a few years ago when he first started riding. " Never, ever, ride beyond your abilities, we will wait for you to catch up, don't worry, just stay upright and ride safe".

Old 06-14-2013, 05:01 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,389 Likes on 1,560 Posts

you know when you are new-ish to riding or even new to a group you may not be sure that people will wait for you and there can be pressure to keep up. It is not easy for a newbie to ask the road captain or leader of the group to wait if they fall behind, and the road captain may not think to check if the newbie knows they will wait further along the road when it's safe to pull in.

I know when I starting riding again last year, on bikes that were way bigger than a Suzuki 550cc from nearly 30 years again I was less able and more afraid than I am now. I am grateful to Gator for leading a ride at a slower pace until he asked if it was ok to speed up.

The onus is on the group leader to ask new people what their experience and riding skills are. What would you guys suggest if an inexperienced rider wants to join in again, next time, once you've seen how they ride and don't think they are up to it?

Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow Paul,
What a tragedy. I know how you feel. I have seen several fatal traffic crashes in my life. Each fatal crash gets no easier then the first. Prayers go out to her friends and family.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:12 PM
Tom T-Bird
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
Best advice I ever heard givin while riding was from Jimbo (Redman), talking to Steve (SoFla) a few years ago when he first started riding. " Never, ever, ride beyond your abilities, we will wait for you to catch up, don't worry, just stay upright and ride safe".

Mine was along the same line. Heard one rider tell another after he was berated for riding too fast for the group. "You ride your bike, and I will ride mine. No one is making you ride faster than you want too."

Old 06-14-2013, 07:26 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Good job poorboy.
Makes ya think.
Try n detach. Know that you did good when it counted.

Quick Reply: Witnessed Fatal Motorcycle crash in GA today