"The Florida Crew" Rides and Information From The Florida Crew.

Rode my bike to Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:16 PM
HDBRATT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Shane nice to hear you made it safe. Roll up some newspapers and put them in your boots...it will absorb the water.

Old 06-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Big Gator
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarleyTrish
Shane nice to hear you made it safe. Roll up some newspapers and put them in your boots...it will absorb the water.
Good advise. Old boy scout trick.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:29 PM
shaneK
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pics as promised

Old 06-30-2013, 04:30 PM
Thundermug
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice bike! Sometimes I wish my sporty had a fat front tire, they give a smoother ride.
Get some throwover saddlebags and use them on long trips to store stuff in, they come in handy and you take them off when you don't need them.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:08 PM
BareBones
Tourer

Hey Shane, how much did that sissy bar cost? I want to get one for my Nightster. Is it pretty easy on, easy off?

Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 PM
shaneK
Advanced

Originally Posted by BareBones
Hey Shane, how much did that sissy bar cost? I want to get one for my Nightster. Is it pretty easy on, easy off?
It's H-D detachable sissy bar @ 199.95 and 79.95 for the pad, and yes really easy to take off and put on

Old 07-02-2013, 12:23 AM
BareBones
Tourer

Thanks brother. Enjoy your vacation on that bad 48.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:29 PM
shaneK
Advanced

Hmmm, I have noticed that the front tire wobbles at higher speeds (which btw is very easy to get to quickly) what would cause this? And how can I fix it? It's a bit un nerving feeling.
I'm not saying that I did, but at 90ish, especially when leaning to say changing lanes I've noticed that the front tire seems to try and wobble and it happens quick then stops after I leave off the throttle.
One guy at the dealership said that the tires are not rated for speeds that high and that's why that happens. I also asked about tire pressure because the tubes are filled wit nitrogen. It was my understanding that nitrogen holds its pressure constantly which is why it's optimal to have. But the tech said I need to check it daily?
I dunno, what do you guys think? Have any of you experienced this?

Old 07-03-2013, 06:01 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice looking bike. All that rain will just make the trip more memorable.

I had a softail that had a front tire wooble at high speeds and it turned out to be the steering head bearings. The bottom one had been installed with no grease on it from the factory. Started acting up at around 10k. Loose spokes can also cause this I have heard.

Any tech is gonna tell you to check your air pressure daily, its a cover your *** thing. On a motorcycle, literally everything, is riding on those tires so checking tire pressure often is prudent. I have read that the #1 casue of tire failure is under-inflation. I bet that sporty is wound up at 90.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:29 AM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by shaneK
Hmmm, I have noticed that the front tire wobbles at higher speeds (which btw is very easy to get to quickly) what would cause this? And how can I fix it? It's a bit un nerving feeling.
I'm not saying that I did, but at 90ish, especially when leaning to say changing lanes I've noticed that the front tire seems to try and wobble and it happens quick then stops after I leave off the throttle.
One guy at the dealership said that the tires are not rated for speeds that high and that's why that happens. I also asked about tire pressure because the tubes are filled wit nitrogen. It was my understanding that nitrogen holds its pressure constantly which is why it's optimal to have. But the tech said I need to check it daily?
I dunno, what do you guys think? Have any of you experienced this?
Any stock tires I've seen on a Harley have (a minimum) speed rating of "H" which is 130 MPH. If you check the sidewall of (say your rear) tire, you should see a something like 150/80-16 72H. That H is the speed rating.

As for the nitrogen, it may have a place on a 200MPH indy car where 1/4# of pressure makes a big difference, but on a street vehicle it's nothing more than a gimmick IMO. It's more important to check your pressures and correct them regularly, than to put it off because nitrogen isn't handy.
BTW, regular old air is 78% nitrogen anyway.

Your wobble can be cause by, low tire pressure, loose spokes, a "cupped" tire, or neck bearings as Dave said above.

Quick Reply: Rode my bike to Vacation