Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   The General Motorcycle Forum (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-motorcycle-forum-116/)
-   -   How many with HD decal actually have one? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-general-motorcycle-forum/1450778-how-many-with-hd-decal-actually-have-one.html)

Bullwinkle58 02-23-2024 08:41 AM

I think more people buy the decal and buy the Harley, but don't ride it.

tar_snake 02-23-2024 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bullwinkle58 (Post 21579264)
I think more people buy the decal and buy the Harley, but don't ride it.

My thoughts exactly. It's a toy for the majority, is my belief. Just go take a look in threads of 'pics of my/your bike' types and all you'll see (for the most part) is bikes that see only perfect weather. Hell, there's way too many that buy nice *old* bikes (think Evo and older) that are already in good condition because the owner only put 3000 miles on it in 30 years, or whatever. It's friggin' sad, actually. I pity those kind of people.

Uncle Larry 02-23-2024 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by tar_snake (Post 21579798)
My thoughts exactly. It's a toy for the majority, is my belief. Just go take a look in threads of 'pics of my/your bike' types and all you'll see (for the most part) is bikes that see only perfect weather. Hell, there's way too many that buy nice *old* bikes (think Evo and older) that are already in good condition because the owner only put 3000 miles on it in 30 years, or whatever. It's friggin' sad, actually. I pity those kind of people.

I bought my 1992 FLHTCU with 800 miles on the clock ... It was three years old

ANIMAL03 02-24-2024 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 21580175)

I worked with a guy that bought an 2003 anniversary and had Paramount HD deliver it to his house in the shipping crate, He was going to keep it that way for 20 years and sell it for 5 X what he paid :icon_laugh:.
When I moved down here to Florida in 2015 it was still in the back of his garage in the shipping crate , well the pallet and that wrap they use to ship.
I can't fathom spending close to 30K and letting something sit for 12 plus years.:icon_doh:

Bubba Zanetti 02-24-2024 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ANIMAL03 (Post 21580374)
I worked with a guy that bought an 2003 anniversary and had Paramount HD deliver it to his house in the shipping crate, He was going to keep it that way for 20 years and sell it for 5 X what he paid :icon_laugh:.
When I moved down here to Florida in 2015 it was still in the back of his garage in the shipping crate , well the pallet and that wrap they use to ship.
I can't fathom spending close to 30K and letting something sit for 12 plus years.:icon_doh:

Yeah but it’s a rare collectible.

Crazy 02-24-2024 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 21580175)

Yeah, I like the garage queen people. I bought my three year old '07 with 1,750 miles on it, and my four year old '12 with 4,000 miles on it.

TnFatboy 02-25-2024 01:26 PM

Does this work the other way too ? I have a Mazda Miata sticker on my Vespa…does that mean someone is gonna follow me home and mug me and take my Miata ? Or is the Vespa more valuable to street hoodlums ? I have a get back whip on it so I think I’m safe (plus a rape whistle).

hd4evr2008 03-01-2024 07:48 AM

I don't have decals on my vehicles, but I used to have a shirt that said "I own a Harley, not just a t-shirt!". 😄

85RoadsterXLS 03-18-2024 07:22 PM

I hate thieves and would never!. That being said, If I wanted to steal a Harley I sure would not just start following someone just because they had a sticker on their vehicle. First, do they even own one. Second, are they coming from home or to home. Who knows how long before you reach their house. Third, even if they do own one and were on their way home it might be a piece of shit you would not even want. Fourth, If I am looking to steal one I am going to see the one I like and go after that one.
As far as a sticker or t-shirts or anything like that is advertisement for sure, but you are advertising without them every time you ride. In all the years I have ridden I have only bought one sign and do have a window sticker. All the T-shirts and other items I own are gifts for Fathers Day, Birthdays, Christmas. Family knows I love to ride and I am easy to buy for. I do love my Harley and don't mind advertising. This is all just my opinion and views of course, just as everyone has their tastes for how they style their rides.

sharpshooter 03-19-2024 11:54 AM

I have a Harley license plate frame.. Does that count? lol.. Im the kinda person who thinks that if you dont own it.. Dont act like you do.. Meaning no bike. No sticker.. I even have went as far as not wearing my many HD t-shirts because I was in the middle of not owning a bike.. Technically my GF doesnt own a bike.. But that doesnt stop her from wearing my old tshirts.... But she likes to ride, so I giver her a pass!