The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

recording your trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 07:45 PM
gpeade
Cruiser
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts
Default recording your trip

For those of you that record trips, what camera do you use? I am planning my first "long" trip for later this year. I'd like to film it, or at least some aspects of it. I have no desire to post it for youtube etc,
Just want it for my own memories. I have no knowledge or experience with any of these type cameras. I've heard of go pro but that's my extent of knowledge with them. Looking for something simple to operate, quality footage but yet don't want to spend a fortune on it.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:30 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,235 Likes on 5,638 Posts

There's tons of cameras available that will mount to your handle bars. Most are pretty simple to operate. I guess the biggest concern is data storage, so you'd want to get one with as much memory as you can afford.
Take a look at Amazon, there's tons of them on there and lots of good reviews to tell you the pros and cons of each.

Old 03-25-2024, 01:57 PM
Ultra103
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 442 Posts

I wanted something that would record trips and act as a fulltime DVR front / rear camera. I went with the BlueSkySea DV988 - around $170. I didn't expect much for that money, but it's been really good! The video uploads to my phone easily wirelessly and it's always recording as I ride. It comes on if someone bumps / moves the bike while it's parked. I've had it for close to a year now with no issues. I do use a different app than the one they supply (MoTo Cam) because it just works better. It's set where I can use it to see what's behind me while I ride too.

The best part for me is it's always recording. Used to be when I would actually remember to turn the GoPro on, it would either run out of battery or overheat and malfunction just before something I hoped to have on video. I got so frustrated with those things.

The biggest con is it's mounted solid, so there's only the two views that you choose when you mount the system. No turning the camera on the go. Not that I could reach the GoPros when I used them either...

Old 03-28-2024, 06:18 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 755 Likes on 478 Posts

I started with an akaso action camera, it was ok but battery life was 30 minutes at best using 1080 using 4k the battery lasted 12 minutes.
I currently have a Gopro 8 mounted on my helmet it's really easy to use and I can get an hour out of it using 1080. you can buy an external power pack so you can record up to 5 hours. I use a 128mb sd card and can record 10 hours @1080 - 25 fps anything more than that and files get corrupted.
You will also want to get an external hard drive to dump your files at the end of the day.
I also bought 5 spare batteries that I can charge while riding if I'm record a lot. The cameras do over heat so try and keep it where it will get ''wind on it''.
My rule is when I stop for gas swap out the battery no matter how much of a charge it has.

Good luck choosing a setup.

Old 03-28-2024, 08:10 AM
AZBadgerFan
Cruiser
Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I've got a GoPro 11 I use for surfing, diving and kayaking videos and recently bought a handlebar mount ($16 on Amazon) to record bike trip videos. It's very easy to use and as mentioned above I will power it with an external power bank for long trips. The downside to mounting it on the handlebars is that it will only record a fixed position but it is what it is. GoPro's are very versatile but there are other brands which should work just as well.

GoPro handlebar mount (Amazon)

​​​​​​​