The General Motorcycle Forum Talk about motorcycles that are not Harleys in here
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why are so many of my fellow Harley riders becoming idiots?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 06:46 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by dribble
Is that why you started this thread?
And in this corner we have flip-flop socal

Old 04-24-2014, 06:48 AM
UppercaseJC
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mjrfd99
The douchbags buy into HD because they want our way of life/style. Easy to spot-easy to avoid. Some get it some don't. Plenty of new riders DO get it, many don't.
Really who gives a pshite who does what and why as long as they aint in yer face. Then it's a problem.

And what is our way of lifestyle?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:28 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Seen a guy with his wife on the back riding in Galveston TX in shorts, tshirt and flip flops.
What bothered me was that she was holding a baby. Since they where riding along the beach, i ruled out some kind of emergency trip to the Hosp. with no car available.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:48 AM
kwn36
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I was actually commenting to my girlfriend the other day when I saw an older gentleman with a huge beer gut on an HD fly past us in an opposite lane. Given the guy's physical condition, his ability to get out of a potential jam and avoid a dangerous accident would be severely inhibited. Not to mention his ability to physically recover from an accident. I firmly believe that you should be in good physical condition to ride a motorcycle.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 AM
MiniWolf
Received 4,688 Likes on 2,258 Posts

Originally Posted by Manninagh
They will indeed make that argument, and factually it's true. It's just that it's also true of many areas where I don't want others to limit my freedom. If I need rescuing off a mountain, if I make myself ill through smoking, drinking, fighting, sports, idleness or whatever, then others will pick up some part of the tab. Does that mean we shouldn't be allowed to do those things? I hope not, because if we go down that road, our bikes just got outlawed.
Costs are now starting to be put back on the individual somewhat via higher premiums on Health and Life insurance policies.

e.g. -- Employers are now allowed to raise Health Insurance premiums on smokers. My employer raised the premium on tobacco users--you will pay an extra $3,100 a year if you don't go through a cessation program.

I suspect as the cost for Health Care keeps rising and eats into the GDP, more such surcharges will start to be employed for Obesity, Unhealthy lifestyles etc..I don't know if they would raise premiums on individuals who engage in higher-risk behaviors like riding a bike though.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:54 AM
mmancuso
Road Warrior
Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by kwn36
I was actually commenting to my girlfriend the other day when I saw an older gentleman with a huge beer gut on an HD fly past us in an opposite lane. Given the guy's physical condition, his ability to get out of a potential jam and avoid a dangerous accident would be severely inhibited. Not to mention his ability to physically recover from an accident. I firmly believe that you should be in good physical condition to ride a motorcycle.
Why stop at a bike? Why not for a cage also?

Old 04-24-2014, 07:57 AM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
Harley riders aren't becoming idiots....But more idiots are becoming Harley riders.

Ignore them, They'll find a new hobby after their first wreck.
This is the best explaination I've heard yet!
Darwinism tends to weed these people out.....

Old 04-24-2014, 07:59 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by kwn36
This is a joke, right? Ever been in a Harley showroom. Not pretty!

Beards and beer bellies are an established tradition.
Random photo from Web:

Old 04-24-2014, 08:02 AM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

It's your area. Here the vast majority are straight ahead bikers just enjoying the ride. No flipflops or crap like that.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:04 AM
Grizzwood
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

It's all relative.

Experienced motorcyclists can point out what's safer and how to survive longer, e.g., take safety course and wear protective gear.

Friends/family in the medical profession who have seen MC injuries and fatalities say MC riders have a death wish.

The average person probably thinks MC riders are imbeciles.

Quick Reply: Why are so many of my fellow Harley riders becoming idiots?