Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   "The Georgia Crew" (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-georgia-crew-158/)
-   -   Beautiful Day for a Skyway Ride!!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-georgia-crew/753914-beautiful-day-for-a-skyway-ride.html)

DHubbs 04-09-2012 06:51 PM

Beautiful Day for a Skyway Ride!!!

While yall was at work today, Dona & I left out about 9.30 for the Cherohala Skyway! OMG what a beautiful day! We had the Skyway road virtually all to ourselves, very little traffic. The scenery was breathtaking. Stopped at one of the overlooks & had a picnic lunch that Dona had prepared on the wall of the overlook. I cant describe how peacful and relaxing it was. All stress and worries were left at home, & somehow seemed alot less important when we returned home about 4.45. This was better than any therapy could possibly have been. Wasn't sure about the directions to make the loop back through Robinsonville & Murphy, didnt look for directions, we just followed our nose & it all worked out. I figured the world is round so we would have to eventually make it back. Had a great time, love that particular ride.

Michael HD Rider 04-09-2012 07:14 PM

Awesome!

I would have rather been at work than dealing with the migraine I had.

DHubbs 04-09-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Michael HD Rider (Post 9643258)
Awesome!

I would have rather been at work than dealing with the migraine I had.

Well Michael, considering what you dealt with yesterday, I'm happy for ya that a migraine is all that ales ya! lol,, ya know I'm jokin,,Hope you get feeling better really soon bro!

blueyz0416 04-09-2012 07:25 PM

Wow, that absolutely sounds like the perfect day. Going up there during the week has to be awesome! I think we need a redo, but a few others (like me!) need to tag along with you two!

Michael HD Rider 04-09-2012 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by blueyz0416 (Post 9643315)
Wow, that absolutely sounds like the perfect day. Going up there during the week has to be awesome! I think we need a redo, but a few others (like me!) need to tag along with you two!

+1 I'll hang way back, you won't even know I'm there. :icon_goofygrin:

horseplay 04-09-2012 08:09 PM

Man thats my kinda therapy right there!

NorthGeorgiaHawg 04-09-2012 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by DHubbs (Post 9643136)
While yall was at work today, Dona & I left out about 9.30 for the Cherohala Skyway! OMG what a beautiful day! We had the Skyway road virtually all to ourselves, very little traffic. The scenery was breathtaking. Stopped at one of the overlooks & had a picnic lunch that Dona had prepared on the wall of the overlook. I cant describe how peacful and relaxing it was. All stress and worries were left at home, & somehow seemed alot less important when we returned home about 4.45. This was better than any therapy could possibly have been. Wasn't sure about the directions to make the loop back through Robinsonville & Murphy, didnt look for directions, we just followed our nose & it all worked out. I figured the world is round so we would have to eventually make it back. Had a great time, love that particular ride.

Brother Hubbs,

I'm glad you and Miss Dona had a wonderful time on the Skyway! 'Tis a truly wondrous place. The views there are gorgeous beyond belief, and it can be a wonderful psychlogical elixir, provided one lets it do its magic. Apparently you let it, and that's wonderful.

GOOD FOR YOU, Dwayne! I'm glad somebody got to ENJOY this wonderful day! And I'm glad it was YOU AND MISS DONA!!

The WHOLE GA Crew needs to ride the Cherohala again... VERY SOON! I LOVE THAT ride!

Ken

Sammy1200N 04-09-2012 08:16 PM

My husband andi just did that ride last week. We spent a couple days in Murphy, NC and rode the Dragon too. We were the only people we saw on the road as well. Weather is just too good to be true.

DHubbs 04-09-2012 08:40 PM

I gotta figure out some way to carry my fishin poles on my bike. Them lakes at the bottom of the Skyway run in N.C. just look too good!!! A small tent, a tackle box, quart jar of pickle peppers & some crackers, 12 pack of miller lite,, dont get no better than that!!!

DHubbs 04-09-2012 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy1200N (Post 9643616)
My husband andi just did that ride last week. We spent a couple days in Murphy, NC and rode the Dragon too. We were the only people we saw on the road as well. Weather is just too good to be true.

Thanks for the reply Sammy, I,,, no we,,, (Ga. Crew) hope you & hubby join us on some rides this season. Its gonna be a good one! Stay tuned on here, jump in anytime with ideas! We would love to meet yuns, good people here!

blueyz0416 04-09-2012 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sammy1200N (Post 9643616)

Hey Sam, good to see you on here. How are you liking the SG? I love that merlot color. Since we last talked, i switched out my bars for Wild Ones 575. Other than that, cams, headpipe and a tune, she's pretty much stayed the same.

Next time y'all are up this way, give a shout and we'll hook up with ya!

DHubbs 04-09-2012 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by blueyz0416 (Post 9643955)
Hey Sam, good to see you on here. How are you liking the SG? I love that merlot color. Since we last talked, i switched out my bars for Wild Ones 575. Other than that, cams, headpipe and a tune, she's pretty much stayed the same.

Next time y'all are up this way, give a shout and we'll hook up with ya!

Don't let her fool ya, Carol rides a HOT ROD! The bike WILL RUN!

Dew Me 04-09-2012 09:44 PM

Don't know if I'm allowed to post in the Georgia Crew page, but I just learned of the Cherohala last week and can't wait to ride it! Buddy and I had just made plans to ride the Blueridge Parkway start to finish and do the Dragon. Now we will be tacking this ride onto the trip. I'm so excited!!!

NorthGeorgiaHawg 04-09-2012 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by DHubbs (Post 9643732)
I gotta figure out some way to carry my fishin poles on my bike. Them lakes at the bottom of the Skyway run in N.C. just look too good!!! A small tent, a tackle box, quart jar of pickle peppers & some crackers, 12 pack of miller lite,, dont get no better than that!!!

Can I go? And bring some REAL beer with me??? The Sam'l Smith Black Cherry Ale is quite REFRESHING in late Spring - owing to its high residual sugar content, dark fruit undertones, and apricot top notes... with a vanilla and spice finish!!!

blueyz0416 04-09-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by Dew Me (Post 9644062)
Don't know if I'm allowed to post in the Georgia Crew page, but I just learned of the Cherohala last week and can't wait to ride it! Buddy and I had just made plans to ride the Blueridge Parkway start to finish and do the Dragon. Now we will be tacking this ride onto the trip. I'm so excited!!!

You'll be happy you did. Always good to see folks from different areas post on here and come down to ride. I'm from Maryland originally but do love the north GA mountains, TN and NC. Keep us posted on your trip. May be some folks will want to meet up with you along the way.

DHubbs 04-09-2012 09:56 PM

MY FRIEND, do you really need to ask????? You Brang Anything ya Want! Your Always Welcome!!!!! Missed ya this weekend!

Michael HD Rider 04-09-2012 10:03 PM

Feel free to post here anytime! When are you planning the ride?

NorthGeorgiaHawg 04-09-2012 10:06 PM

WOT??? ANYONE is "allowed" to post here! There's no Gatekeeper, and NO Rules! All are welcome...

I see you're in Maryland. If you're heading this way, just let us know in the GA Crew Forum. We'll meet up with ya, and show you our beautiful North Georgia Mountains!

Just post here or PM one of us... I'm part of the Welcome Committee, so PM me if you want, and I'll spread the word you're coming!

Ken

DHubbs 04-09-2012 10:06 PM

OMG!!!! EVERYBODY is URGED to post on here!!!! TYVM for doin so! Post again when ya'll plan to come down here, & please stay in touch till then. I will do my best to meet ya'll some where & slap paws if that's okay! EVERYBODY FEEL FREE TO POST HERE ANYTIME! Thank You for posting that Dew!:icon_eddie:

DHubbs 04-09-2012 10:08 PM

lol ya beat me to him ken,, lol,,, would ya like a buggy?

NorthGeorgiaHawg 04-09-2012 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by DHubbs (Post 9644131)
MY FRIEND, do you really need to ask????? You Brang Anything ya Want! Your Always Welcome!!!!! Missed ya this weekend!

Missed you too, Dwayne. We REALLY wanted to get DONE, so we could meet up with you and the other Crew members... but as so often happens, things took longer than we had hoped for.

Too bad Michael had NOT :icon_rtfm: and had NOT warned me about the potential for Roxy to...

http://images.fandango.com/MDCSite/i...orscutmain.jpg

I'm presenting him with the SERVPRO bill...

Beav 04-10-2012 05:08 AM

Glad y'all had a great time bro!

Sometimes those are the bestest ones. You, yo' woman, ridin' that steed on the open road.

Fishin' poles, huh? A hillbilly with your ingenuity....:icon_denk: I'm sure ya've got that one figgered out already.

:icon_goofygrin:Beav

monkey sammich 04-10-2012 05:11 AM

Oh yeah, I'll be hitting the Skyway next week! Ain't no doubt!

b1rider 04-10-2012 07:42 AM

Hey Dwayne, glad to hear you and Dona had such a wonderful day! I need to take a day and do a long ride to clear the head. This is the time of year to do it!

horseplay 04-10-2012 05:04 PM

Dwayne when I was a kid I had these telescoping fishin poles. Bet someone still makes them! If not PVC pipe and a boat store for rail clamps are your friend!

Dew Me 04-10-2012 06:34 PM

Wow! Thanks so much for the warm welcome! Sounds like this trip just got better! It is supposed to be the last week of June. Probably not a whole week. Few days book-ending a weekend would be my guess. Maybe it'll grow to a whole week. We'll see.

Last May I rode down to Atlanta to see a HS buddy and took the long way back through the Smokey's. Ride back ended up being over 14 hours straight in the saddle. Don't think I'm gonna try and beat that. It was one hell of a ride though!

blueyz0416 04-10-2012 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by DHubbs (Post 9644185)
lol ya beat me to him ken,, lol,,, would ya like a buggy?

Don't feel bad, i beat both of you...being as I'm one of the female welcome contingent...lol. oh, that and I'M FROM MARYLAND ;)

DHubbs 04-10-2012 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by blueyz0416 (Post 9648281)
Don't feel bad, i beat both of you...being as I'm one of the female welcome contingent...lol. oh, that and I'M FROM MARYLAND ;)

AWWW, its okay! We know ya can't help it, we loves ya anyhow!:icon_special:hahaha

Dew Me 04-10-2012 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by blueyz0416 (Post 9648281)

What part of MD do you hail from?

blueyz0416 04-10-2012 07:31 PM

Born in D.C., grew up in Silver Spring, lived in Mitchellville and Clarksville for a bit too. Most of the family still in Silver Spring, Frederick and Annapolis. On brother in Macon GA-- the other one who grew tired of winter :) Where are you based? Lots of good riding up there, just not as long of a riding season as here -- which is pretty much year-round.

Dew Me 04-10-2012 07:59 PM

From Gaithersburg and I've migrated up closer to Frederick. Exactly right, lots of good riding but the season is shorter. Heated gloves and chaps went a long way towards lengthening my season though. Don't think she sat for more than 2 weeks all winter.

blueyz0416 04-11-2012 06:53 PM

Gaithersburg is great, so close to the hills and some nice rolling countryside in many directions from there. Yep, my family was telling me y'all had a really warm winter this year which is great for extending the riding season. There were a few weeks here when I didn't ride, but since moving South, I seem to get bothered by the cold moreso than when I lived North. Go figure. Anyway, look forward to some of us meeting up with y'all when you make your trip.