The Motorcycle Activist Post Topics Concerning Motorcycle Laws such as Helmets, Loud Pipes, etc. etc.

Michigan Repeals Helmet Laws, Injuries Soar

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 09:29 AM
stixvrad
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,086 Likes on 3,325 Posts

Thing of it is, if your not wearing a helmet and you have an accident involving another vehicle, it could go from just a simple accident to you getting killed or a vegetable. Now the operator of the other vehicle could be facing serious charges or at least a civil suit. Not to mention, typically injuries to the head without a helmet will be worse and therefore cost the insurance company a lot more. Lets face it, helmets have come along way. They don't impair your hearing, or vision, and good ones weigh almost nothing. If they make it where, when your not wearing a helmet, injuries you sustain cannot be held against anyone else, then go for it.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:30 PM
Sol-Invictus
Tourer
Received 426 Likes on 192 Posts

I race and have suffered several concussions wearing the best helmets money can buy, including 2 weeks ago, rear tire hit a piece of barbed wire on the track and blew. I was literally saying to myself how on it I was and how good I felt then boom flash of white light and pain In leg and shoulder. Would be dead without one several times. If someone stole my helmet I would walk or drive, to get a helmet. But if someone wants to not wear it and die in a 10 mph crash like Indian Larry it is not my business.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:17 AM
vonh12
Club Member
Received 391 Likes on 272 Posts

When I started riding we didn't need helmets. Now we're required to wear one. I think we should have a choice but that choice should be reflected in our insurance premium.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:47 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripplingh2o
the argument of comparing helmets to cagers' seat belts is shallow considering there are 55 times more cages on the highways than motorcycles.
Another way such a comparison is "shallow" is that a minor fender bender involving a driver not wearing a seat belt will probably result in no real injuries. The same "minor fender bender" involving a motorcycle rider not wearing a helmet can result in life changing injuries.

Last edited by rjg883c; 09-13-2020 at 10:05 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AgainstTheWind80 (04-14-2022)
Old 09-13-2020, 10:04 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by vonh12
When I started riding we didn't need helmets. Now we're required to wear one. I think we should have a choice but that choice should be reflected in our insurance premium.
Good idea!

They could greatly raise premiums for riders that chose to ride helmetless because head injuries can be very expensive. But because wearing, or not wearing, a helmet is so easily changed, it would be impossible to enforce.

Perhaps the insurance companies could refuse to pay claims for riders, that chose to get a policy for helmeted riders. and are injured while not wearing a helmet ?

Old 09-13-2020, 10:13 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Ron750
Your exact argument could be used for outlawing motorcycles altogether.
That is my concern. Even if it doesn't go so far as "outlawing motorcycles altogether", they could require an exorbitant amount of insurance or impose other changes to make riding a motorcycle less appealing.

Old 09-15-2020, 04:44 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by intewedm
The author of the article is an obvious liar and fan of helmets! There is no reliable information that supports his claims. The reality is that in more than 50% of motorcycle fatalities, the victims were wearing helmets. The REAL problems are ROW violations, unendorsed riders, and alcohol use. Helmets won solve any of those issues!
Fatalities are unimportant. The rider won't know he/she died. Nor will the rider know about hardships i.e. financial, emotional, etc. of rider's dependents that result because of accidents.

The REAL important thing IMO is a rider's life after they have survived an accident. And no one knows, or can know, how many incidents occur after which a rider is able to get up and ride, or at least walk, away because a helmet lessened their injury. Records can't be kept of the number of these events. I don't know if records are kept on the number of motorcycle accidents, that are reported to authorities, which didn't result in immediate death. All I have ever read is statistics showing the number of deaths.

I know that results of a rider's life, after surviving an accident, are not known. That would be too much to determine because it would have to include every facet of said rider's lives and take into account the potentials of a rider's life with or without an accident. And much of that would be subjective, not open to objective, determination.

Helmets are not meant to prevent "ROW violations, unendorsed riders, and alcohol use", they are meant to lessen the impact of those things.

Old 12-06-2020, 12:21 PM
tonyd2017
Road Master
Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts
Default agreed

Originally Posted by edtahaney
What do you think? I like having the option personally...

https://www.hdforums.com/articles/mi...injuries-soar/

I agree having an option is good. So is the freedom to choose. This is a good subject.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:39 AM
Greg Midi
Road Warrior
Received 1,969 Likes on 785 Posts

The great news is that no one will ever tell you that you can't wear a helmet!

Old 12-15-2020, 11:48 AM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by breakman
I like that pic of guy on the bagger in shorts and flip flops kicked back and steering with his left leg while what appears to be cruising down the freeway.
I actually passed someone cruising north on the Garden State Parkway about 15 years ago who looked just like that, except for an obligatory "beanie" compliance helmet. Flip flops, foot steering and all. Massachusetts plates, IIRC.

Quick Reply: Michigan Repeals Helmet Laws, Injuries Soar