The Patriot Guard Riders A Place To Talk About The PGR and PGR Missions.

PGR flag mounting

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 04:54 PM
BC1000
Tourer
Received 701 Likes on 148 Posts
Default PGR flag mounting

It is my intention to join PGR and get flags representing all four military branches so I can customize the flags to each individual mission however, I am gonna need help figuring out how to mount them on this Road King Classic. I have a few configurations but nothing that is actually helpful. Any suggestions guys?

Maybe there's an angle-adjustable flagpole bracket that can be mounted here?

Last edited by BC1000; 07-24-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:32 AM
sloufoot
Received 4,082 Likes on 3,484 Posts

The price has gone up lately, but we use a fishing pole holder with a rotary clamp either ofor the chrome under the clamp.n the side or on the end and a bit of a sleeve inside to fit the flag pole. They are available on Amazon. You can use a piece of vinyl or hard rubber as a guard .
You can also incorporate a trailer hitch. Be careful with warranty with the trailer hitch.
I use a trailer hitch and display 3 flags.
Be sure to observe the correct flag-etiquette.
https://www.vfw.org/community/flag-etiquette

Flag Etiquette

Old 07-26-2021, 12:59 AM
BC1000
Tourer

Is this the rocket launcher you're referring to? Might be the best option and seems very doable.

Amazon Amazon

Old 07-26-2021, 02:46 AM
sloufoot

Originally Posted by BC9696
Is this the rocket launcher you're referring to? Might be the best option and seems very doable.

https://www.amazon.com/Amarine-made-...g-goods&sr=1-7
Yes, that is the one with the side mount. We use those because they can be mounted quickly for those that haven't done a mount yet.
You will need to replace the clamp screws with a longer screw to fit on most bars on Harley. I use the stainless allen head screws from Lowes.
These seem to work very well.

Old 07-26-2021, 12:29 PM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Welcome and welcome! I used two pieces of angle iron mounted horizontally across the uprights on my passenger backrest and welded a vertical tube between them for a single flag. You could add three just as easily. I clamped it to the uprights with SST u-bolts and nylock nuts with small sections of electrical PVC to protect the chrome on the backrest. I'll try to take a picture to post if I can remember.

I have seen a lot of the rod holders mounted to the bag guards and they look nice, but they're wide. I've always wondered if I couldn't get the rod holder idea back on the passenger backrest.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:08 AM
sloufoot

Most put a piece of stiff foam in the holder to take up any gap. You could also use some PVC pipe split down one side as a bushing. Also use a bungy wrapped around the flag staff then to the mounting to keep things in the holder while riding.
Another idea might be to put on a receiver hitch on then use almost anything you want to make a multi-flag holder that is removable.
LOL ! The is a person in Wash DC that has a trike and pulls 7 that's SEVEN flags.

Old 07-27-2021, 06:45 AM
6113_
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 32,998 Likes on 12,901 Posts

Here's a couple ideas for you, see what works best for your configuration

https://www.thepropad.com/stainlessmounts/

Right now I have the flags on the luggage rack but they'll come back off after Sturgis. Normally they are mounted in the QD mount as in the pic. All the hardware comes from Lowes, etc., I think that's a 1/4-20 bolt that holds it to the bike, just get a longer one, allen head style. You'll need a couple spacers to take up the gap in the QD mount then slide the 1/4-20 bolt in, tighten it down.

The mound for the luggage rack is different, just mounts right up and drop your flagpole in. They sell different diameters dependent on your needs.

Old 07-29-2021, 04:51 PM
BC1000
Tourer

Okay, nuther question. Do I need to make/bring the flag I will hold during the ceremony (1" white PVC) or does PGR provide those? If I need to meet PGR guidelines for that using the same flag I fly on my bike...that changes things. If PGR provides those and I can leave the flags on the bike, that's easier.

Also, Amazon has some different length poles and flags at
Amazon Amazon
and I'm wondering what lengths/sizes make the most sense for a mounting to a bike.

If anyone can recommend a suitable hitch option so the flag(s) are positioned behind the bike instead of alongside it, please share it. That would be my preference but how would that work here?

Last edited by BC1000; 07-29-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 04:46 AM
sloufoot

The flags are supplied for the mission by some of the groups, and supplied by the member in others.
You need to contact the group captain for the area you will be riding with. If you change areas then you contact the ride captain for that mission or area.
I do the flags for the mission on the Trike and also have a collapsible flag pole in my tour pac for the mission display at the service both at the funeral home and grave site. We are looking at the group doing the flags with all the same flag pole and flag size for uniformity.. That takes a support vehicle to pack the equipment.
Go to the main PGR site and look for the ride captain for the area you want. They are listed with the different registered areas.Give them a call to find out what you need for their group.

The rear flag mounts are typically done with a hitch for the bike. You can get them with a receiver so you can make your mount to fit your style. There are manufactures that do a lot of hitch kits.
https://www.rivcoproducts.com/shop/h...lh-flt-models/

This is just one idea. This dealer does other types of hitches also. This type uses a slid in hitch, and they sell different accessories for flags.
Google is your friend here.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:42 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Every mission that I have ridden in GA, the flags are provided. Like you, I built mine so that I could take it off the bike and use it in a flag line, but that has NEVER been necessary in the 150 or so missions that I've ridden. Go ahead and make the bike flag secure. The Ride Captain or a Flag Wagon will provide flags in nearly all cases. Either way, the mission briefing should tell you ahead of time whether flags will be provided.

Quick Reply: PGR flag mounting