Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle bag lid orginizers wont stick

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:38 PM
brino
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddle bag lid orginizers wont stick

My saddle bag lid organizers won't stay stuck to lids... I cleaned them well and followed directions... I also tried 3m auto tape and that didn't work either. Bike is vivid black and I think the sun warms it enough that tape doesn't stay stuck to the organizers... Any ideas to fix this?

Old 12-25-2014, 06:54 PM
blackx-runner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In your sig pic I see you have the guards on the lids. How are those mounted? If they go through the lids can you utilize that to hold the organizers in place?

Old 12-25-2014, 06:56 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brino
My saddle bag lid organizers won't stay stuck to lids... I cleaned them well and followed directions... I also tried 3m auto tape and that didn't work either. Bike is vivid black and I think the sun warms it enough that tape doesn't stay stuck to the organizers... Any ideas to fix this?
Seems to be a common complaint on saddle bag lids and Tour-Pak lids. Most say they used heavier-duty versions of the 3M tape, and have seen some use super heavy-duty Velcro too.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:19 PM
brino
Cruiser

The pic is if my old bike. Current bike is 13 street glide...

Old 12-25-2014, 07:27 PM
31scout
Tourer
Received 102 Likes on 60 Posts

I had the same problem with the Tour Pak lid organizer. I tried better double sided tape with no success. I think the heat of the summer loosens it.
My solution was to make use of the luggage rack I had on the top of the Tour Pak. The bolts that go into the luggage rack are reasonably well spaced. I located the lid organizer on the inside of the lid and drilled thru it. I used fender washers on the bolt heads and that has worked well for me for the last 10 years. The washers and bolt heads are reasonably well hidden in the organizer.

Last edited by 31scout; 12-25-2014 at 07:28 PM. Reason: mis type
Old 12-25-2014, 07:32 PM
Kathy's Life's-Ride
Stage IV

E6000 glue. Mine didn't stick either. I'm also a firm believer in industrial strength velcro.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:47 PM
flatfifth2003
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried super glue, they still wouldn't stay stuck ended up getting pissed and throwing them in the trash!

Old 12-25-2014, 07:51 PM
Fat King
Advanced

Originally Posted by brino
Mine wouldn't stay on either, until I used the heavy duty Velcro, haven't had a problem with them since.

Old 12-25-2014, 07:52 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine fell off too, I'm afraid to try any industrial strength glue in fear it will eat thru to the outside paint,
Anybody got a good cure for this without putting holes in the lids?

Old 12-25-2014, 07:53 PM
ssgunny
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 31scout
I had the same problem with the Tour Pak lid organizer. I tried better double sided tape with no success. I think the heat of the summer loosens it. My solution was to make use of the luggage rack I had on the top of the Tour Pak. The bolts that go into the luggage rack are reasonably well spaced. I located the lid organizer on the inside of the lid and drilled thru it. I used fender washers on the bolt heads and that has worked well for me for the last 10 years. The washers and bolt heads are reasonably well hidden in the organizer.
I did a similar procedure for my tour pak lid organizer but that is not helping your situation much.

Quick Reply: Saddle bag lid orginizers wont stick