Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best GPS

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 07:21 PM
LKHA
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sent pm

Old 01-13-2015, 09:36 PM
pbruce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using GPS as long as anyone starting with the first available units for aircraft over 20 years ago. I've had probably every Garmin for cars and Motorcycles starting with the Streetpilot then the Zumo 550, 665, etc and they are all great units so I say go with the one that you like and looks best on your bike cuz they all work great.....up to and including the Garmin app for iPhone.

One thing that I can tell you with absolute certainty however is that the new Harley infotainment system GPS on my 2014 SGS is by far the least user friendly unit I have used including the FAA mandated difficult to use models in the airplanes I fly/have flown.......it's like no one that ever rode a motorcycle in their life designed the user interface......my .02

Old 01-13-2015, 10:19 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I use a Garmin 2497. I have it on my right handle bar. I'm using a Ram mount so I can adjust it into any position to bock sun glare. On the left side of my bar is my Note 4 phone. If I need to hear directions, I'll bluetooth it to my Biketronic stereo, using a variety of apps that I've downloaded. Me thinks I have a good set up. The most important factor is having a good setup to block or cut down on sun glare.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:24 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
Ok guys, no shortage of "best of" threads these days. Whats your preference for GPS? Im looking for something that is easy to use, that I can plot trips on with a PC, and that will interface with my HK radio for spoken directions. I looked at the tom tom rider and reviews seem to indicate that the screen is hard to read in the sun.
If you are wanting to interface with your radio, you are pretty much restricted to the Garmin Zumo RoadTech in either 660 or 665 as far as I know. These are the one's that are sold by HD. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion.

My 660 will give instructions over the radio or HD Headset, I can play music through the radio via a micro SD card in the Garmin, and I can make and recieve phone calls through the Bluetooth with the HD headset if everything is set up right.

Sometimes it is hard to see the screen in the bright sun, but I have not seen a GPS that doesn't have the same problem. I have mine in the fairing mount, and I think that helps a little with the glare.

Bill

Old 01-14-2015, 10:24 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,525 Likes on 1,306 Posts

I used the Garmin Zumo 220. While not bright in sunlight, I can still see it at a glance. It does not wash out like my previous ones.

I like the smaller screen on the 220. I ride quite a bit in the dark in the winter and I do not like a big screen. It is mounted above my handlebar next to the left grip.

The 220 is a motorcycle unit. waterproof, shock resistant and comes with a handlebar mount kit. I do not use the bluetooth, but it is there.

This is a basic unit. If you like to play with your toys, it is probably not for you. I plug in the motel or campground, and ride. It updates if I take a different route and I always get to where I am going. I do not put in the entire route and stick to it. For instance, last summer, I put in the motels going and coming back from Sturgis and the Buffalo Chip. Everything else was ad lib.

Before you ask what is the best GPS, you need to ask yourself what you want it to do. Many years ago I had a Magellan. It had the choice, least use of Freeways. I always liked that option. Garmin choices are fastest, shortest, and something else.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:55 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I had a zumo 550 for several years. I didn't think it could be beat. I now have a 590lm and like it even better.

Besides being a great gps, I have a wire from the harness inside my windshield pouch that charges my smartphone. With the smartphone link, the gps keeps me updated about traffic conditions on my route and suggests detours if there is a long delay.
The smartlink also gives my weather conditions. I can turn my garmin screen into a radar map if there are storms in the area and ride around the rain.

All of my music is loaded in an sd card in the gps. I play all of my music from the gps and the music mutes when voice commands are given and returns to music after the voice command.

It is also plenty easy to see in the sunlight.

Dennis

Old 01-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

These days I have been sticking with Apple or mostly Google Maps on my iPhone. I may get a RAM handlebar mount someday but it does just fine in the saddle bag plugged in. On the motorcycle I'm finding I really don't want the added distraction when in lots of traffic. The voice prompts are sent to the Sena bluetooth headset in my helmet and Google's voice prompts are quite good even with getting you in the right lane.

Yes you need a network connection, but most direction is needed in populated areas where there is good cell service. When out on the open road I have a good idea where I am going and carry a paper map as a backup. I have yet to find a good online or GPS unit that is good at planning a trip. You still can't beat a good paper map to show the whole picture as well as the some good back road scenic routes which most GPS and online maps concentrate on more direct main roads.

I'm now starting to play with Harley's Ride Planner and Butler Map's RidingSocial which also work well with my iPad and iPhone. All these services allow me to plan and edit a route on my iPad at a motel or coffee shop then open it in my iPhone when I am ready.

Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Garmins are great, but get one which is "routeable". The lower end units will not accept routes from like Mapquest + such. Both my Nuvi 50 + 1300 will NOT. So in order for it to do what you want, find one with routeable capability.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 PM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a Garmin 350LM that I use once a year when doing a big trip. Visibility is good, it's waterproof, and you can use the touchscreen with gloves on.

I also use the Harley Trip Planner to plan my routes. The Garmin, and probably all GPS's for that matter, still likes to NOT follow my planned route at times and re-direct me to a quicker route. Very annoying when planning a long trip and relying on waypoints to take you on a specific route.

Old 01-14-2015, 02:57 PM
HogAir
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Garmin Zumo 590 with Traffic and Weather App is the unit I installed since I took my Garmin Zumo 550 off the trike a few months ago. Had the 550 since 2007 and never had a problem with it but it was time for the larger screen and more memory for MP3s. Put a 64 Gig stick in mine and have been loading it up. You also get the auto mount to run it in the car. Simply linked up to Bluetooth and I'm good to go with my music in the car as well.

Last edited by HogAir; 01-15-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Best GPS