Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why so much service on Harleys's ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 01:31 PM
garcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why so much service on Harleys's ?

Glad to hear thatmaintenance isreally nota problem oras expensiveas it sounds. I will do my own maintenance. It just seemed by reading all of the post,many who buy new Harley's have problems thatforce them to go back to the dealership for service. The over heating problem that many seem to have does bug me. What's wrong with Harley's research and development. I'm sure they know about those issues, but from the many post here, it doesn't seem like they try correct the problem. Thanks for your input and this forum is great.

Old 04-17-2007, 01:38 PM
HogBack
Road Master

A bike will always cost more than a car, and is even more important. A car not maintained can survive a bad service program with no adverse safety concerns.. a bike could be fatal.
My car says 3000 miles for an oil change, a HD is 5000 miles on a recommended change, but
there is also a pride of ownership, we love these things and pamper them with not only chrome and bling, but life giving oil... Yes, a Honda 50cc scooter requires less cost, what do you want to ride?

Old 04-17-2007, 01:49 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor

I am letting the dealer do the 1000 mile service which is being done on Friday, and will be doing the rest myself. I have looked into the Fix my Hog DVD and it looks like it could help, but I do have one question about the DVD and the harley manual, will these cover things like adusting and or replacing your wear items such as clutches and all?

Be Safe

Old 04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: garcon

Glad to hear thatmaintenance isreally nota problem oras expensiveas it sounds. I will do my own maintenance. It just seemed by reading all of the post,many who buy new Harley's have problems thatforce them to go back to the dealership for service. The over heating problem that many seem to have does bug me. What's wrong with Harley's research and development. I'm sure they know about those issues, but from the many post here, it doesn't seem like they try correct the problem. Thanks for your input and this forum is great.
Harley has their hands tied tight by the epa from doing anything before the bike is sold, it must meet their requirements period. After the sale it is still a sticky thing to retune out of epa regs. but they have offered ways around it. The EPA and the goverment is responsible for the heat issues on new harleys.

Old 04-17-2007, 02:36 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

some of the maintnce becomes very routine. and a little exagerated too. Like any manuefactorer there service schedule is a liability. If your close with your bike and get a sm she wount costthat much to maintain

Old 04-17-2007, 03:24 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

thats the thing, a lot of people are calling normal issues, problems. there is not an 'overheating problem'. there is a lot of heat coming off your cylinders because of the epa regs and harley having to tune the bikes lean to pass them. their research and development is top notch. otherwise, how would they be able to make such old technology work in todays overregulated world?

get the bike, do the stage 1, and pick up a manual. one of two things will happen: you will either completely fall in love with your bike and all its 'quirks', or two, you'll figure it is too much 'work' for you and you'll get a honda.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

they absolutely DO NOT need to be serviced so much or at the dealer....do it yourself just like old times

Just purchased a 2002 RoadKing and new to this forum. I began reading all the previous post...lots of post on the service the bikes takes and the high prices the stealers charge. I haven't had bikes for a long time and want to get back into riding. I"ve had old late 60's Sporters, many Triumphs and one Honda. All those bikes were easy to maintain and never saw a dealer once I got them. You just rode them and occassionly changed the oils. Maintenence on those motorcycles was nothing. Never spent more than a few bucks on service.Do the later Haarley models really require all the dealer service that is posted on this forum? Maintaining Harley's now really sound like a big expense...much more than any automobile I've ever owned...starting to wonder if Harley is the way to go. I love Harley's, but with the high price of maintenance.....starting to wonder.I just want to ride, not worry about all that maintenence.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:35 PM
MrMcCool
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Slick02

Damn tireater, did you miss your coffee today?
He (tireater)may in fact be spot on here. Time and additional posts will tell.

What's wrong with Harley's research and development. I'm sure they know about those issues, but from the many post here, it doesn't seem like they try correct the problem.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:47 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Harleys Owners are more concerned due to the investment and most of us are the type to pay attention to details (except our spelling ).

Old 04-17-2007, 04:04 PM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master

Just like any motorized vehicle, a Harley requires PM Service.(who and how it gets dones sets the price)

Cars require service or they will fail along side the road, and you call a towtruck.

Diesel Big Trucks require service or they will fail along side, and you call a service truck.

Motorcycles require service or they will fail along side the road, and you call a flatbed or a trailer.

Airplanes require service or they will fail in the air, can't pull over to a cloud and call a towtruck, so they fail into the road.

Quick Reply: Why so much service on Harleys's ?