Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam replacement & Trans Pulley swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 05:03 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cam replacement & Trans Pulley swap

Getting everything together for project set for April'ish time:

Bike 2007 RK Custom

Swapping out Rear trans pulley from a stock 66T Pulley to Sportster 68T Trans Pulley; Front tri-glide 30T trans pulley. Parts arrived today.

Going with the tman 555 torqster. For anyone that has done it is it worth the $185 to replace the pushrods? From what i understand it will just make the job a lot easier. And if that "a lot easier" is worth they $185 i'll spend it in a heartbeat. I don't really look forward to messing with they gas tank which i understand would be required if i'm keeping the pushrods.

Just wanted to hear what others have experienced.

Old 02-12-2015, 05:25 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,236 Likes on 1,000 Posts

I think you answered your own question. I went with adjustables and would do it again in a heartbeat. They give you the ability to fine tune some of the valve train noises out. I went with the SnS Kwickee pushrods. Very good PR's and easy to adjust.

2010 Limited with some stuff!!

Old 02-12-2015, 05:48 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1. Makes the job you are doing faster and easier, and as said, makes adjusting valves possible. Don't forget to change out your lifters while you are in there as well. I run Gatermans, but there are other good ones out there.

Last edited by the warden; 02-12-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,754 Likes on 1,564 Posts

I'm a little opposite. I don't mind the extra work because I can inspect the rockers, springs, and stuff while I'm at it. Plus I don't like strange ticking noises that instantly make me think I didn't get something adjusted right or something came loose. Gas tank is not hard at all to get off btw. It's the 24 other bolts etc...

Adjustibles really are much faster though. If you're pressed for time go that way.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:27 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You might want to wait on the pulley change until you try your new cam. Stock cams lower rpm torque wasn't anything to write home about.

Do the adjustable pushrods and Crane has some good lifters for way less than the hybrid (high $$) lifters. If you don't have 100K miles on it you don't really need to look at the valve train up top. Buy the $14 bolt cutters on a coupon from Harb Freight to cut the old ones.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:31 PM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I like adjustable push rods to and will go with them again they do save time and some work.

Old 02-12-2015, 07:24 PM
jack6hd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put a 30T pulley on mine. Got a short ride in and noticed a nice difference. Go for it on yours, it's a worth while mod. Add your cams to that and you'll be smiling for some time.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:43 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I re-used the stock push rods. I like things as fool-proof as possible. I know many use the adjustable push rods with no problems.....but NOT everybody! I decided to eliminate any possibility of a problem. Plus, while I could afford them, I still have more time than money!

Old 02-12-2015, 10:24 PM
brutalbrad
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the warden
+1. Makes the job you are doing faster and easier, and as said, makes adjusting valves possible. Don't forget to change out your lifters while you are in there as well. I run Gatermans, but there are other good ones out there.
Replacing: Lifters and Cam Barrings. I am 99% sure i'm doing the pushrods. It will be worth the $185. Also doing Oil Pressure Spring replacement that Baisley Performance recommended. LMR Oil pressure spring benefits of the spring listed below.

Key Benefits (LMR-002 Spring)

Increased spring strength by 15%, typically 5lbs.
Quiet running motor
More progressive pressure rise
Use in any stock or modified Twin Cam A or B motor
Recommended with ANY cam installation
A MUST HAVE for engines with higher than stock valve spring pressure
Restores oil pressure throughout the oiling system when using high volume piston cooling jets with close race tolerances
Squared and ground ends for less variance in installed length and pressure
Designed, engineered and manufactured to their (LMR's) specification for this application

Last edited by brutalbrad; 02-12-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 380 Posts

That cam needs a lot more compression so might as well get the ajustable pushrods and at least go with a.030 head gasket. Mild headwork,vave job and deck the heads.025 would really do the job.

Quick Reply: Cam replacement & Trans Pulley swap