Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where do you put your gas cap while filling up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I can see where the guys riding EG's could close the gas filler cover and forget to actually put the gas cap on. But The rest of us that just have a gas cap on the tank itself it would be pretty difficult to not see that the cap was missing. Even if you rode off I would think that the gas splashing out of the filler would get your attention fairly quickly.

Old 03-01-2015, 09:30 PM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Yep its winter time and I read all 6 pages on top of it. I put mine on top of the dash behind the windshield. Stays right there in the line of site and no pain in the a$$ or wallet. No driving off without it either. Suprised nobody said that already.

Batman

Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 PM
rpking
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

One of the first things I did to my bike when I bought it was opened up the gas fill door unscrewed the gas cap and threw it in the trash.
I glued a cork of the correct size to fit the fill hole on the underside of the gas fill door.
Now when I open the gas fill door I stick the gas nozzle in the hole fill up the tank, when I'm done I shut the door.
I don't need a stinking gas cap!!!!

Old 03-01-2015, 09:57 PM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,075 Posts

Originally Posted by LowRider68
I use to put it on the pump. But, once I was on my way to Sturgis and stopped at a gas station on I-90. I took the cap off, fill the tank, hopped on the bike to take off and noticed I didn't put the cap back on. I quickly started to get off the Road King and noticed I didn't put the kick stand back down. The bike tipped on its side, gas spewing out on a 1 month old paint job, busy gas station, people rushing to help lift the bike up.

Now I put it on the seat! lol

You probably ought to just ride the bus.....

Old 03-01-2015, 10:30 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,505 Likes on 11,218 Posts

RH floor board.

Also, everyone should follow the manual. Failure to follow the manual for proper installation could result in equipment damage, and or personal injury or death.

Oh yeah..I'm OCD...5 clicks.

Old 03-01-2015, 10:58 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I set it on top of my tank next to my cell phone

Old 03-01-2015, 11:07 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RushKing14
Shiny side down, on the seat.

This is what I do now...left my first one on top of a gas pump in Torrey, UT. Lesson learned.

Old 03-02-2015, 06:10 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 223 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rpking
One of the first things I did to my bike when I bought it was opened up the gas fill door unscrewed the gas cap and threw it in the trash.
I glued a cork of the correct size to fit the fill hole on the underside of the gas fill door.
Now when I open the gas fill door I stick the gas nozzle in the hole fill up the tank, when I'm done I shut the door.
I don't need a stinking gas cap!!!!
Too funny

Old 03-02-2015, 07:12 AM
slburgie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is about as useful and informative as "Which side of the bike do you spit your chew when ridding? Should you always be in the right lane? Or run the left lane right side in order to get a more even splattering on all those behind?"

Old 03-02-2015, 08:00 AM
thevirginian
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slburgie
This thread is about as useful and informative as "Which side of the bike do you spit your chew when ridding? Should you always be in the right lane? Or run the left lane right side in order to get a more even splattering on all those behind?"
I have another one: What side do you get off your bike when you stop? Do you always put the jiffy down, before?

Quick Reply: Where do you put your gas cap while filling up?