Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strong Smell of Raw Gas After Ride

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 10:17 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

My '14 Limited does the same thing from time to time. I found that it doesn't matter the temperature outside. What I found is it occurs most in the winter, and the winter blend fuel really stinks. I have no mods to the engine/exhaust except for some SE slip-ons, which are relatively new, so not the cause.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:03 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

I found some non-ethanol premium fuel in NC and since using that, no more smell. I guess the corn fuel does stink up the place!!

Old 02-20-2016, 09:13 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,045 Likes on 6,219 Posts

I have the same problem with my SG and TG no matter what the outside temperature. Do not see any gas leaking from the overflow tube from the gas tank. I just open the garage door and let it air out. The gas smell is gone after a few minutes.

Old 02-20-2016, 02:27 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dieter621
My Dyna Super Glide has the issue. I usually have to let it cool outside or keep the garage door open. The only answer I ever got that made sense was the heat off the engine caused gas vapors from the tank above. If you ever come across a way to eliminate this let me know!
Don't fill it up before parking it.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Danow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My bike just started to smell of gas after a ride. I had shoulder surgery and couldn't ride for a few months so the bike sat. I never had a gas smell prior and have ridden in hot Texas days and put the bike in the garage hot and never any fuel smell. I don't have a full tank so it isn't over filled and it didn't matter how long I rode it but in an hour or so I smelled a very strong odor of gas in my garage. I don't smell it while riding. This problem just started so I know what is normal for my bike. Bike runs ok so I don't think I have an injector issue.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:22 PM
dieter621
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem. I cleaned my throttle butterfly while recharging my air filter. A lot of gunk came off the butterfly! I only use Sunoco and Shell 93. I figure the gunk was caused by blowback. Problem solved. Give it a try.

Old 07-21-2018, 05:00 PM
soulpatch
Tourer
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Since we've moved to alabama, mine has done that when I've gone on long rides. Bike is venting gas vapors from the heat buildup. It's normal, but ya it sucks. Just make sure to vent your garage after awhile, it's just something i've learned to do since being here.

Old 11-29-2019, 09:12 AM
Danow
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the source of my fumes. I looked under my tank at the fuel rail and saw a little wet patch. So either my o-rings on one of the injectors is leaking a bit or one of the seals or o-rings on the fuel rail is. I have not had any luck finding the o-rings for the injectors. Has anyone else found any? I have a 2013 ultra classic.

Old 11-29-2019, 11:56 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 629 Likes on 455 Posts

Unless I missed it, the OP still hasn't said if he tops off before parking or not. Obviously heat expansion from a full tank can cause over flow BUT he says nothing about finding a wet spot. That suggests to me that there is a leak that drops fuel onto the hot engine and the gas evaporates before it can accumulate into a wet spot. He doesn't say if that is a California emission bike, but absent a fuel supply system leak (fuel line, fuel connector, injector O ring etc) it is a vent leak and the fuel doesn't get far enough in the vent system to make it to the tube that would drop it on the floor. Isn't there an emission vapor connector on the throttle body (normally just plugged on non California bikes) that might be leaking that he should check?

Old 11-29-2019, 12:16 PM
buell95
Road Warrior
Received 497 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Unless I missed it, the OP still hasn't said if he tops off before parking or not. Obviously heat expansion from a full tank can cause over flow BUT he says nothing about finding a wet spot. That suggests to me that there is a leak that drops fuel onto the hot engine and the gas evaporates before it can accumulate into a wet spot. He doesn't say if that is a California emission bike, but absent a fuel supply system leak (fuel line, fuel connector, injector O ring etc) it is a vent leak and the fuel doesn't get far enough in the vent system to make it to the tube that would drop it on the floor. Isn't there an emission vapor connector on the throttle body (normally just plugged on non California bikes) that might be leaking that he should check?
Post 28 he found a wet spot

Quick Reply: Strong Smell of Raw Gas After Ride