Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires what's a top choice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:19 PM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I ran the OEM Dunlop 407/408 to 12K. The back was smoked (and badly cupped), the front still had some life. I thought they performed pretty well, lasted well, good ride, decent cornering grip, and were predictable in rain.

I just put 3000 miles on a new set of Avon Cobra's. The 3000 miles was chasing some sport touring buddies, so they were put to the test. VERY impressed with the Cobra's. Always tough to compare shot tires with new, but the Avon's are very grippy. Def a tire to consider if you like cornering hard. The ride is great, wet traction is excellent, wear is TBD. Pretty wide range of tire life when I was reading reviews. Avon recommends higher than average pressure, seems they wear reasonably when this is followed. I used their "light two-up" pressure of 41/46 on my trip, roughly 300lbs for me and the gear I had.

I got the Avon's in blackwall for $260 from an on line retailer. I plan to have a fresh set each year before this ride, it's cheap insurance.

http://www.avonmoto.com/tech/tire-pressure-guidelines

Old 08-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Blowby
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 70 Posts

ME888's when I bought the bike. Not sure of the actual mileage but they tracked nicely and not effected by road seams or grooves. Installed Dunlop American Elite II's and have 13,000 miles with about 3-5k left on the rear. Very nimble and drops into corners nicely with good cornering adhesion since two compounds are used for the rear. The profile is nice and round which allow the quick cornering but the disadvantage is the smaller contact patch while riding straight up on the highway. Wiggling and the trackin in the groves is the only part I don't like.

Might try the ME888's again unless your post brings out a viable option.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:42 PM
Wino
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with Shovelking. I put Avon Cobra's on my 11 RG CVO and couldn't be happier. Real sticky in the corners, ride good, and mileage TBD. I've got 4K on mine, and can't see any appreciable wear. Look's like they should go to 10 to 12. Avon's also like a little higher air pressure. I run 43 in front and 40 in the rear.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:44 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,844 Likes on 18,587 Posts

10 to 12 isn't really anything to be excited about. I got 17 on the first rear and 18 on the second rear on Dunlops ( OEM )

Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

The advantage of the American Elites are the harder compound in the center, softer on the curved sides for the rear tire. This should promote better wear instead of getting the "flat center," while still getting good sticky cornering. I have AE on the rear and only have maybe 800 or so miles on it but its still holding its shape quite well. The OE 402's and even the E3's I had on there previously started showing a flattened center tread very early on. I'm stuck with an E3 on the front due to the 21" wheel, but I expect I should still get fairly good mileage out of the front. Time will tell. They do handle and track very well.

Old 08-03-2015, 03:47 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I switched over to mich last year. I hated them. They never seemed to track quite right. I'm running Dunlops again.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:55 AM
Vile Lou
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of love for the American elites. I had Avon on my wide glide years ago. But on my street glide I'm not sure I'd want to run such a high pressure. MI roads are horrible.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:23 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

I switched from the OE Dunlop to the Michelin Commander II last year. I got 14k (2/32) on the Dunlop rear tire and the front could have gone to at least 18k. Based on my preliminary estimates, it looks like the Michelin Commander II will probably last roughly the same miles as the Dunlops. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the ride. Ron

Old 08-03-2015, 09:57 AM
circlenine
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I switched from the OE Dunlop to the Michelin Commander II last year. I got 14k (2/32) on the Dunlop rear tire and the front could have gone to at least 18k. Based on my preliminary estimates, it looks like the Michelin Commander II will probably last roughly the same miles as the Dunlops. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the ride. Ron
I just had to replace my OE Dunlop rear at 16K. Debated Metz 888s but went with the Dunlop for the simple reason that all dealers should have them in stock. I've never had tracking problems or rain issues and I don't want to be waiting on a replacement tire if I'm ever in a pinch.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,075 Likes on 622 Posts

I have used and absolutely love the Avon Cobra.
I was actually a little let down when I bought my current ride cause the dealer put new tires on it before they put it on the floor and they put the OEM on it. No way the wife would have gone along with replacing brand new tires just cause I prefer something else. Guess I have an excuse to put on more miles so I can wear these out faster.

Quick Reply: New tires what's a top choice?