Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please don't shoot me!! Yes another oil question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:23 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Can anybody find the old "Motor oil is motor oil" commercial? I think it was Pennzoil. It would be better than "Not this shat again".

Old 09-03-2015, 03:06 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by rdam
Can anybody find the old "Motor oil is motor oil" commercial? I think it was Pennzoil. It would be better than "Not this shat again".
===================

" find the old "Motor oil is motor oil" commercial? "

Back 30-40 yrs ago motor oils were in fact very much alike but todays vehicles are different in many ways that require the oil to do a lot more cooling while not cause emissions issues with cat converters & 02's .

So todays motor oil is specifically formulated for app its being used like a motorcycle,truck,car,ATV,diesel,etc.

And even within a same group/type of motor oil like for example that mfg'd for use in a lrg disp air cooler v-twin like a HD there are in fact differences in their formulation/chemical additive pkg and quality of base stock oil making some perf significantly better then other oil of same type and grade in our bikes.

I have always had an interest in motor oil & its formulation over the past 4+ decades wrenching bikes & cars and then over past 9-10yrs was researching motor oil for the classic car crowd talking to chemists and oil engineers at mult oil & oil additive mfgs along with general research too inc rvu of quite a few extensive oil tests done on motorcycle and automotive/truck oil too.

So in doing all that oil research over the past 9-10yrs i learned there is in fact small to big diff between oil mfg'd for diff apps ,thats for sure and its not" MOTOR OIL IS MOTOR OIL ANYMORE! ",thats for sure.

Will your car or bike self destruct if if wrong type oil or lower quality oil is used,not likely but it could make valvetrain more noisy and oil pressure lower when hot.

Will your bike or car motor fair better running proper oil for app its used in & or use higher quality oil for the app used in making things like valvetrain quieter and oil pressure higher when motors hot ,yes it should.

And i found 1st hand when running properly formulated motorcycle specific oil in my bikes thats the diff oils from diff mfgs of same grade did in fact perf quite different from keeping my hd motor quite with good oil pressure when hot to making the valve noisey when hot and with lower oil pressure too using same grade bike oil.

For example,my 09 basically stock 96" motor had a more noisy valvetrain when hot along with considerably lower oil pressure when hot too with syn3 & m1 both being syn 20-50 bike oil vs when i then tried Spectro's hvy dty platinum syn 20-50 and their entrance lvl hvy dty std dino 20-50 std that both kept the valvetrain quiet when motor is hot along along with considerably better oil pressure too.

And i had done the testing of those diff oils to find what oil perf best in my HD which i had done prior to installing wards cooling fans and ultracool oil cooler withdual cooling fans that reduced oil temp 50+deg significantly increasing hot oil pressure even more along with other benefits i will not get into here.

Hot oil pressure after i installed the 2 cooling mods reducing oil temp 50+ deg in 90+ deg temp is consistantly 16-17psi @ hot idle & 45-48psi @ hot cruise /2500-2600rpm with stock original oil pump after riding 2hr steady in 90+ deg F HHH heat uisng spectro bike oil. (oil pressure would be approx 7-8lbs less in same cond @ idle and cruise with syn3 or m1 v-twin syn 20-50 bike oil vs spectro bike l am currently running)

And spectro mfgs a line of oils specifically formulated for HD motor,primary,5spd trans & also or 6spd trans to reduce 5th gear noise/whine issue some older 6spd models have) .

Thats my take on it from 1st hand exp and also from talking to the expert engineers & chemists currently working in the oil & oil additive fld over the past 9-10yrs i had been researching motor oil for the classic car crowd i am part of while also at the same time addressing motorcycle oil while i had their ears for myself.

You can believe or not when say from research i have done over the past 9-10yrs that there is in fact a diff (sometimes small sometimes not so small) between oils mfg'd for motorcycles/cars/trucks and diff between oil mfg'd for same apps too,but thats up to you to believe or not !/LOL!!

Happy motoring!

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-03-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:39 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

Sorry, it's satire. That's why the commercial was funny.

Resume the requisite chemistry lesson.

FWIW, I use Mobil One products

Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,735 Likes on 1,553 Posts

I've been a member and have visited this site about everyday for 10 years this coming January. Baby Bush was in Office.

I believe I have read somewhere over 100,000 threads of peoples experiences easily. And people LOOOOOVE to bitch So if there was a problem, we'd all know about it.
I've probably read about 10-20,000 "what oil?" threads. Yay for me.
And probably 3-5,000 engine/trans/primary "failed in such a way" threads.

In all that time guess how many threads I've read about where some specific group, weight, type, or brand of oil caused the engine/trans/primary to fail or not live a long expected life? 0.00. Zero.... nothing.
Not one that I can remember. I can't think of one thread where 50 people are all jumping in and stating definitively, "Oh man, don't use that oil cause it will definitely do X to your bike..." and have proof that it did. Zero.

People are using HD oil, every store brand imaginable oil, tractor oil, diesel oil, Honda oil, transmission fluid, slick50, marvel mystery oil, everything. And Zero threads.

So... probably use what you want in there maybe and not sweat it. Use the correct type of course.

Last edited by lp; 09-03-2015 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:10 PM
PureHybrid
Road Master
Received 376 Likes on 235 Posts

x100

Just run what you want.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:25 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

No brainer:
3 different holes
3 different applications
3 different oils

Dino or syn = your choice. Either is fine if you change per mfg's recommendations. All major brands are fine = buy what's on sale.

Old 09-03-2015, 04:41 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Scott,

I'm getting ready to use Spectro for the upcoming changes.

I used in in my Tour Glide and noted a lot of improvement in reduced engine noise, less noise in the primary, and ease of shifting without the clunk.

Thanks for posting up your details.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:10 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member

Valvoline: "Motor oil is Motor Oil", "Yes,he is"

Last edited by rdam; 09-03-2015 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:24 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I've been a member and have visited this site about everyday for 10 years this coming January. Baby Bush was in Office.

I believe I have read somewhere over 100,000 threads of peoples experiences easily. And people LOOOOOVE to bitch So if there was a problem, we'd all know about it.
I've probably read about 10-20,000 "what oil?" threads. Yay for me.
And probably 3-5,000 engine/trans/primary "failed in such a way" threads.

In all that time guess how many threads I've read about where some specific group, weight, type, or brand of oil caused the engine/trans/primary to fail or not live a long expected life? 0.00. Zero.... nothing.
Not one that I can remember. I can't think of one thread where 50 people are all jumping in and stating definitively, "Oh man, don't use that oil cause it will definitely do X to your bike..." and have proof that it did. Zero.

People are using HD oil, every store brand imaginable oil, tractor oil, diesel oil, Honda oil, transmission fluid, slick50, marvel mystery oil, everything. And Zero threads.

So... probably use what you want in there maybe and not sweat it. Use the correct type of course.

That's been pretty much my conclusions also.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:16 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for not being TOO rough on me folks. Decided I'll go with the hole specific amsoil fluids.

Quick Reply: Please don't shoot me!! Yes another oil question.